Favorite Christmas Music

bachanon

CBC_Houston.gif

For me, this is in an almost daily rotation during December. I get home every night, put it on the outdoor speakers, turn on the backyard Christmas lights, pour a glass of port, sit in a patio chair, and soak in the Christmas season. I also have the full audio track from A Charlie Brown Christmas ripped to a CD and I listen to that once a week or so during December.

The rest of the time, it's either 99.1's Christmas loop, or a few Christmas music compilations that I get out every year.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is going to be a song I love or hate or otherwise, but just now is the first time I heard it.

I don't know what it's called, but it's Santa narrating 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, but the words are changed so that Santa arrives at the home of an American soldier. It's rather powerful the first time you hear it, though the lyrics could use a little work.

Puts that Christmas Shoes song to shame.

I don't know if this is going to be a song I love or hate or otherwise, but just now is the first time I heard it.

I don't know what it's called, but it's Santa narrating 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, but the words are changed so that Santa arrives at the home of an American soldier. It's rather powerful the first time you hear it, though the lyrics could use a little work.

Puts that Christmas Shoes song to shame.

Someone sent me that Christmas shoes song and it was SO utterly depressing.

I hate the Carpenters. They're admitted Canadians! They don't even have the decency to hide it like Alan Thicke or Alex Trebek.

Last Christmas I picked up a German choral CD full of Christmas music. It's my current favorite. I'll post the name when I get home.

I used to love Trans Siberian Orchestra a few years ago, but I eventually grew tired of the harsh tones.

But Richard Carpenter has one of the best MOPAR car collections in the country. He has just about every Chrysler 300 letter series except for the 1962 (I think). Along with several Plymouth GTX's, Dodge Charger's and several other period muscle cars, he also bought a 1960 Dodge Polara station wagon with a rear facing third seat, just like the one his parents had when they moved the family to California, to start his and his sister's singing career. What an appropriate way to invest one's royalties.

Oh BTW, I really like Gloria Estefan singing a christmas song to her child. "I wish I could see Christmas through your eyes"

Yeah I know, it's a girl song!, but I still like it.

If your an iPhone/iPod Touch user, Starbucks has a free application that plays (streaming) all of the Christmas songs from the Starbucks albums in the stores. You can also skip the current song if you don't like it, or push a button and by it from the iTunes Wifi Store.

It's great to hear some songs by A Fine Frenzy and a few others that are new.

I wonder how long it will work; if Starbucks will turn off the streaming servers after January 1 or something.

On Christmas Eve, on the cable Traditional Christmas music station, I heard a version of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel", A cappella version, stopped me in my tracks, listed the singer as Linda Ronstadt, but I only heard a choir singing, just Heavenly...Another song I add to my list has got to be the saddest Christmas song out there, "River" by Joni Mitchell.

This has to be some of the most cheerful and fun lyrics I know of! I never knew it was from Mame? :D

Haul out the holly;

Put up the tree before my spirit falls again.

Fill up the stocking,

I may be rushing things, but deck the halls again now.

For we need a little Christmas

Right this very minute,

Candles in the window,

Carols at the spinet.

Yes, we need a little Christmas

Right this very minute.

It hasn't snowed a single flurry,

But Santa, dear, we're in a hurry;

So climb down the chimney;

Put up the brightest string of lights I've ever seen.

Slice up the fruitcake;

It's time we hung some tinsel on that evergreen bough.

For I've grown a little leaner,

Grown a little colder,

Grown a little sadder,

Grown a little older,

All:

And I need a little angel

Sitting on my shoulder,

Need a little Christmas now!

Archived