Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse Downtown

i took my girlfriend to Vic and Anthony's Steakhouse downtown on Friday night for her birthday. I had no idea that a an entre by itself is almost $30.00. And there's no side items that come with it. You have to order everything else separately. The Steak was alright but i myself can cook a steak just as good, if not better than that. For just our two meals, my bill was $100.00.

I just want to warn anyone that if you plan to go here, save your money because you can get more for your money at any other restaurant like Macaroni Grill, Fogo De Chao, and the cooking tastes just the same. Texas Roadhouse Steaks are just as good. At Vic and Anthony's, all you're really paying for is just the atmosphere.

I thought about doing a food review for one restaurant but I didn't want to offend anyone since this is a huge site, plus the restaurant *cough* Chuy's *cough* is not a large business.

As far as that Steakhouse, isn't that one of those Fertita joints? He disappointed me with Aquarium in downtown so I doubt I will go to another one of those pricey establishments. I payed $11 for the smallest crab cake and I was really paying for the culinary arts and I had better at Long John Silver's.

$100.00? You got off easy. I don't walk into any of the top steakhouses in Houston (Vic's, Striphouse, Pappas, Smith & Wollenskis) w/o budgeting $100-$150 per person. Of course you can get more for your money at Macaroni Grill, but that's like saying as a car Toyota gets you to your destination just as easy as a Lexus.

I always feel like Steakhouses in Houston are pretty subjective (just like any restaurant actually, but especially on "Texas specialties)

My boss raves on Vic and Anthony's as being the best he's ever had. Another boss says Pappas Bros is far and away the best, and that Vic and Anthony's is not as good. Then you read Esquire magazine rave about the Strip House as being fantastic (yes i know, big surprise, a New York magazine raving about a New York restaurant located in Houston)

I've got friends coming into town this Feb and they've never been here and one was telling me his favorite steak house is Outback. So something tells me it doesn't really matter which one I take them to, they're going to like it just a little more than Outback. We just argue about it because its here 365 days a year. its the same thing with "Best Bar B Q" and best "Tex-mex" food.

i think the best thing about vic and anthony's is the ambience across the street :D

and a lexus is a toyota that gets less miles per gallon (but satisfies people's "status" requirements)

and yes, it is a landry's venture...enough said

Funny thing... steak houses. Best one I've ever had in a restaurant: Morton's in DT Los Angeles on Figueroa. Worst? Morton's in Chicago, near the Gold Coast.

Heh.

I like Papas Bros, too. Rodeaux's actually had a pretty decent steak the one time I visited some three or so years ago but of course theyv'e gone out of business. I've yet to go to Vic & Anthony's but I have been to the Strip House. Strip House wasn't bad but I wouldn't expect anyone to have a religious experience either. Then again, I could be wrong.

As someone who spent a fair amount of time in the restaurant industry a number of years ago, I will say that those who think steakhouses are too expensive for what you get should do a little math. Yes, so I can go to Kroger and pick up a 16oz NY strip for about $10. If I get the same steak at a steakhouse for $30 that's a 200% markup. Sounds expensive until you think about going to your favorite Italian restaurant. Pasta and sauce runs about 35 cents and sells for $8-$10 dollars, that's a 2000% markup, not 200%, so lighten up, steak costs a lot to begin with, and restaurants do need to make a profit to stay in business. Think about that the next time you spend $16 on the pizza the restaurant made for 38 cents.

As someone who spent a fair amount of time in the restaurant industry a number of years ago, I will say that those who think steakhouses are too expensive for what you get should do a little math. Yes, so I can go to Kroger and pick up a 16oz NY strip for about $10. If I get the same steak at a steakhouse for $30 that's a 200% markup. Sounds expensive until you think about going to your favorite Italian restaurant. Pasta and sauce runs about 35 cents and sells for $8-$10 dollars, that's a 2000% markup, not 200%, so lighten up, steak costs a lot to begin with, and restaurants do need to make a profit to stay in business. Think about that the next time you spend $16 on the pizza the restaurant made for 38 cents.

good point, many people don't realize how expensive a good steak is, even at the grocery store. but i still don't buy it. pasta and sauce is not 35 cents when they use the best ingredients and make it from scratch. the markup is there, and i agree its much higher then the markup on steak, but so is the quality. in my case, i can marinate and grill a mean steak, not as good as the fine steak houses out there, but my steak comes much closer then any italian dish i could conjure up at home compared to an italian restaurant. the sauce, the cheese, it wouldn't come close-again this is just for me, but i'm sure a lot of people out there fall into the same boat.

that's why i don't go out for steaks that often.

I know Heights is gonna hate this, but I have to agree with him 100%. I also spent about 10 years around town managing restaurants. You would keel over at what the costs are as compared to what you are paying for it. I have managed Italian, Mexican, and Down home. Chicken Parmesan or a Veal dish is about the most expensive italian at about $3 bucks to make, where as you pay, even at Olive Garden, $12 or so, but you do get unlimited salad, but you just paid $1.80 for tea that cost about $.12 cents to make. You only pay the cooks and hostesses, busboys and managers, waiters cost nothing, they work for tips.<------TIP YOUR WAITERS PROPERLY ! remember, they are probably eating McD's $1 menu tonight, and you are living it up ! Don't feel bad though, didn't you enjoy your meal, and can't wait to do it again ? Mexican food, you don't even want to know how cheap that stuff is, beans and rice ? Cheese is the most costly item next to beef, and that is fajita beef and ground meat. Fajita meat bought in bulk doesn't cost much, about $2 total for a $8.95 special plate. Fill up on chips and salsa, that's where you hurt them. ;) no not really. Don't eat chips at C*sa* Ol*, I never worked there, but I know they recycle the chips. :lol:

For what it's worth, don't foget that many prime steakhouses also age their steaks for up to 21 days (I believe). Granted, it's nothing more than climate controlled rotting to the point that the FDA allows it, but I don't hear too many people agining their Kroger bought steaks...unless you're buying their "sharply discounted for quick sale: steaks that are turning a bit grey :blink:

I just came back from Kansas City and ate at what was supposedly a highly recommended KC institution. They brag that their steaks are UNSEASONED so that you get the natural flavor through and through. Needless to say my wife hated it because it was bland. Mine? I had mine drenched in bleu cheese and peppercorns!

Pappas Bros is by far the best steakhouse in town, dare I say the country (of the major cities anyway). Ruth's Chris trailing a close second.

I recently at at Delmonico's in Vegas (Emeril's place, which is touted to be the best there) and I was very disappointed. The bill was over $500 without a bottle of wine for four people.

Smith & Wo, and others just can't justify the price they charge for their steaks, although Smith & Wo. has the ultimate macaroni & cheese and the are open until 2am.

35¢ for pasta and sauce? Chef Boyardee crap maybe, but when I'm making pasta I make the sauce from scratch. I have an amazing recipe, but it costs me a good $15-20 to make the sauce alone. Anyway, you do make a valid point. It's just like any other business. They have to charge enough to pay the rent on the facilities, pay the staff, and still turn some profit. Of course Vic & Anthony's and the like are charging somewhat for atmosphere and status, but their customers know that and are willing to pay for the experience. It's just like going to Starbucks for a cup of plain coffee (not espresso or any of the other drinks). They charge a lot more than most other places, but they still sell a lot of cups of regular coffee because people go there not just for the coffee but for the experience as well.

If you want bang for your buck, go to Outback. If you want the full experience, then a place like Pappas Brothers or Vic & Anthony's is it. And as long as people are willing to pay more for something like Vic & Anthony's, there will be places like that around.

As someone who spent a fair amount of time in the restaurant industry a number of years ago, I will say that those who think steakhouses are too expensive for what you get should do a little math. Yes, so I can go to Kroger and pick up a 16oz NY strip for about $10. If I get the same steak at a steakhouse for $30 that's a 200% markup.

Hopefully we're not getting the same cut of steak at Kroger as one would at a steakhouse.

I have an unfortunately affliction. I know meat. My father was in the meat industry and so we ate a lot of meat in my household. Huge boxes (like 3'x5'x2') of meat would arrive at our house all the time from companies in Australia, Argentina, and other places around the world hoping to woo his business by shipping him samples of the best of what they had. He taught me what a good steak looks like. What it should taste like. How it should feel in your mouth.

Unfortunately, this has made me really picky about my steak. I won't buy steak in the supermarket. The only place in Houston I ever found that has good steak to buy is Central Market. And if you know what to ask for they'll cut it however you want.

As for Houston steakhouses, the only one that was memorable was Saltgrass. Not because the meat was great, but because it was a great value for the money. The meat was occasionally very very good, but usually just good, which is a cut above the dog food I got at most restaurants there.

For atmosphere, I loved Old San Francisco. R.I.P. :(

Anyway, that's my recommendation: Go to Saltgrass (the one by NASA) frequently and you'll eventually get a few good cuts of meat. If you're cooking at home, Central Market is the only place to start.

And for those who are curious, the steaks in Chicago aren't better. In fact, they're worse. On average, Houston has better meat. Chicago has better dairy. Which makes sense because of the types of cows that are raised in each area. Fortunately, Chicago has a lot more steakhouses and competition is stiff, so they work harder to bring in better meat. There's a few blocks near my home where there are no fewer than nine steakhouses fighting for diners.

Man I'm hungry.

35¢ for pasta and sauce? Chef Boyardee crap maybe, but when I'm making pasta I make the sauce from scratch. I have an amazing recipe, but it costs me a good $15-20 to make the sauce alone.

The difference is you aren't buying in bulk. I'll stand by the price, especially if the restaurant makes their own pasta and sauces. I intentionally left out labor costs which add up to much more than food costs, especially in a labor intensive operation such as pasta and sauce making, but 35 cents is about right. Have you seen the cost of flour and canned tomatos when you buy by the case from Sysco? Go into the kitchen of the finest Italian restaurants in Houston, I'll guarantee there are cases of it stacked up in the corner. There is no shame in using canned tomatos over fresh, in fact many are canned near the growers to save on shipping costs, and because of the short distance between the two the tomatos are picked at their ripest. On the other hand, the tomatos you get from the store are picked green and ripen in the case.

TJones, I don't hate that we agree on something at all;)

Our favorite place was the Stables on Westhiemer. FABULOUS, thick, bloody steaks-just how I like them. And the biggest, brownest drinks [bourbon/rocks for me] in the city. They seem to really want you liquored up for some reason.

Since they've closed, we've gone to the S. Main location a couple of times. Same waitress [Doris], same big brown drink but I don't think the steaks were as good. Maybe it was a bad night.

In any event, I am fortunate that my better half grills the BEST steak known to man. I make the drinks. :D

B)

Our favorite place was the Stables on Westhiemer. FABULOUS, thick, bloody steaks-just how I like them. And the biggest, brownest drinks [bourbon/rocks for me] in the city. They seem to really want you liquored up for some reason.

Since they've closed, we've gone to the S. Main location a couple of times. Same waitress [Doris], same big brown drink but I don't think the steaks were as good. Maybe it was a bad night.

In any event, I am fortunate that my better half grills the BEST steak known to man. I make the drinks. :D

B)

Man, I had all but forgotten about The Stables, my Uncle Robert used to be the GM there for years, back in the 70's. Thanks for the reminder nmain.

Too expand on Heightsguy's post. Almost every restaurant in Houston, uses Sysco or Alliance, they are billion dollar businesses, that offer everything you need to get food products to your store. Sysco is an excellent company also, Mama Ninfa's was over 2 million in the hole with them, and they let them float until they could restructure and catch up. Sysco is a class act, and have the same prodcuts you'd find at your local grocer.

I was disappointed in the steak I got at the strip house downtown. It was nothing like what you would get at Pappas brothers. Possibly it was a bad night for them.

One of the best deals in steaks is the Bar-b-que Inn on Crosstimbers. No really. Excellent filet for around $18 that comes with salad and baked potatoe. It is certainly better than what I got at the Strip house.

I was disappointed in the steak I got at the strip house downtown. It was nothing like what you would get at Pappas brothers. Possibly it was a bad night for them.

One of the best deals in steaks is the Bar-b-que Inn on Crosstimbers. No really. Excellent filet for around $18 that comes with salad and baked potatoe. It is certainly better than what I got at the Strip house.

I have only had chicken fried steak at BBQ Inn. It is a heart attack on a plate but I have been risking it for over 25 years. I believe we are having a pre Friday night poker birthday party tomorrow.

Maybe I'll have the regular steak-barring any cardiacs, I'll fill you in with my review.

B)

And for those who are curious, the steaks in Chicago aren't better. In fact, they're worse. On average, Houston has better meat.

This goes to my last post. I was really surprised by the dropoff in steak quality between the two Morton's (I had the same ribeye in LA as Chicago). I would've expected the Chicago steak to be at least as good, particularly since the chain started in Chicago.

In any case... I also had a pretty good steak in San Francisco at a place called Villa Ruiz. It's been years since I've been and don't even know if it's still around.

Archived