Third Ward Bikeway System Proposal And Implementation

8 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Not a fan of this reverse parking protected layout. This is fine for this street probably given its relatively low volumes I suppose. I wonder why it was done like this.

How would you change it? Keep in mind that eliminating parking isn't really an option here, and there had to be space for the trash bins. Heights Blvd is set up the same way.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just reverse it so that the the buffer is between the parking and the bike lane. The buffer is also where you would put out trash cans. That's how these lanes are set up elsewhere, even on other sections of Hutchins.

My assumption is that the city has a minimum width requirement for the lane and buffer combined for parking protected lanes that they didn't feel they could manage on this section. 

Lots of blocked lanes when I rode through today, but there aren't any "no parking" signs up yet and it's legal to park here without them.

Good thing those are all Rodney Ellis supporters since he was the one that paid  for the bike  lane to take those street parking spaces 😬

rJwNkws.jpg

Thanks Urban Living construction workers. 

lae74s3.jpg

17 hours ago, cspwal said:

If you run up against cars parked in a bike lane with a no parking sign there, can you call 311 to have them towed?  Or just silently stew?

Yep, the official policy is 311 ticket which in my experience takes between 4 and 7 days to investigate.

HOU Parking has said that if you send them a message on twitter, and they have a parking rep in the area, then they'll investigate immediately. 

23 hours ago, wilcal said:

Yep, the official policy is 311 ticket which in my experience takes between 4 and 7 days to investigate.

HOU Parking has said that if you send them a message on twitter, and they have a parking rep in the area, then they'll investigate immediately. 

what's that twitter?

Rode the entire length today.  Looks complete unless they plan to do more than paint.  They even painted the crosswalks and added green paint with white bicycle man at each intersection.  The worse part is Cleburne to Alabama with cars parked in the bike lane forcing you to merge into heavy traffic.  

9 hours ago, BeerNut said:

Rode the entire length today.  Looks complete unless they plan to do more than paint.  They even painted the crosswalks and added green paint with white bicycle man at each intersection.  The worse part is Cleburne to Alabama with cars parked in the bike lane forcing you to merge into heavy traffic.  

'No parking' signs coming to prevent lanes from being blocked. 

Project is definitely good. I hope that they do Cleburne, next. Not sure where it is on the schedule. 

I also went by on Satuurday.

Several no parking signs have been added:

rOQZMzu.jpg

Unfortunately they are being ignored

8KYOrKj.jpg

Crawfish closed the north park of the bike lane for almost the entire day (heard review of the festival were really bad)

wfv8j8w.jpg

Paint going down

tSwpIML.jpg

This person put up safety cones while they blocked the bike lane:

GHTmE4B.jpg

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

Crawfish closed the north park of the bike lane for almost the entire day (heard review of the festival were really bad)

I've lived in Houston long enough to realize all these food festivals suck and are just a  money grab.   The vehicles parked in the bike lane suck but the through traffic between Alabama and Elgin is so low now It's like a sleepy suburban street.  Unforseen bonus has been a reduction in litter.  The biggest drop in litter was when they redid the bus routes and did away with the bus stop at Holman and Hutchins.

20 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

I've lived in Houston long enough to realize all these food festivals suck and are just a  money grab.   The vehicles parked in the bike lane suck but the through traffic between Alabama and Elgin is so low now It's like a sleepy suburban street.  Unforseen bonus has been a reduction in litter.  The biggest drop in litter was when they redid the bus routes and did away with the bus stop at Holman and Hutchins.

That's good to hear about traffic! And yeah, I'm not too salty about closing the bike lane, just annoying. 

Evidently Alabama and McGowen are going to get BOOST bus route enhancements.

56 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

Between Elgin and Alabama only one car parked in the bike lane since they put signs on the st.  The also put signs at Elgin and Alabama.

I just rode through about 90 minutes ago and the only illegal parking I saw was right  at Alabama and then in front of the townhomes under construction north of Emancipation Park.

So about 1/5 of the number of cars parked illegally. 

13 hours ago, BeerNut said:

Between Elgin and Alabama only one car parked in the bike lane since they put signs on the st.  The also put signs at Elgin and Alabama.

lReHaer.jpg

Here's one option for dealing with cars parked in the bike lane.

hqdefault.jpg

12 hours ago, BeerNut said:

I just noticed on the sign it's missing the 't' on except.  Cost cutting measure?

That's an example of the English language in transition.  Wassup with the t at the end anyway?  We just need to accep change...

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Third Ward Bikeway System Proposal And Implementation

Archived