Metro moving toward $3B bond vote for 20-year transit plan

BeerNut

I know some companies offer a Q-card, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing?  And the way it works isn't a monthly pass, just a normal Q-card that is refilled by your company/pre-tax income instead of you later.  Metro offering a monthly pass to those companies could help boost ridership - why pay for a garage permit when you can have a monthly transit pass?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, cspwal said:

I know some companies offer a Q-card, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing?  And the way it works isn't a monthly pass, just a normal Q-card that is refilled by your company/pre-tax income instead of you later.  Metro offering a monthly pass to those companies could help boost ridership - why pay for a garage permit when you can have a monthly transit pass?

Okay. Yeah that sounds right. Cool, glad Metro offers that then.

I vaguely remember that Metro STAR (those private/metro Van pools) can be paid on a pre-tax basis, but I didn't know Metro's regular bus/light rail was setup that way too. 

Again, it's not really metro offering it - at least when I had one way back in 2008, it was just a Q-card that got refilled by Rice as opposed to me.  I think back then I had to bring it to them to refill, but I'm sure now its hooked up to a corporate bank account somehow, just as if you had it hooked up to your credit card

9 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Again, it's not really metro offering it - at least when I had one way back in 2008, it was just a Q-card that got refilled by Rice as opposed to me.  I think back then I had to bring it to them to refill, but I'm sure now its hooked up to a corporate bank account somehow, just as if you had it hooked up to your credit card

Okay, yeah, i think we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about a "401(k)" transit benefit. Or an employer sponsored health plan for transit. You pay for the transit benefit via your pre tax dollars, then your employer processes the payment with the transit agency, the benefit is then refilled to your transit card, or here a Metro Q Card.

4 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Unfortunately, for some reason Metro does not offer a similar system for employers (at least I'm unware of Metro offering one). Maybe someone can shed light on why? If there's something that prevents Metro from doing it in its Charter, then even more reason to scrap Metro and start from scratch. 

People I work with who are in van pools can have pre tax money taken out of their checks for the monthly charges.

On 10/10/2019 at 5:25 PM, mollusk said:

We've been able to do that forever.  It's even easier now that there's a phone app.

The apps...kinda suck. Its not built for phones in a compelling way and its not easy to use.

Now the idea about the texting of bus station numbers and getting upcoming departure times...now that has been a great idea. Very effective and its immediate info.

57 minutes ago, Luminare said:

The apps...kinda suck. Its not built for phones in a compelling way and its not easy to use.

They rebuilt the iPhone version a couple months ago.  It's a noticeable improvement - then again, I learned on steam powered computers so YMMV.*

*(a more polite way of saying "get off my lawn") :ph34r:

Archived