New bikeway to be created on Patterson in Rice Military

44 minutes ago, skooljunkie said:

Aren’t chicanes essentially created by adding “bump-outs” from the side of the road? And then a driver must carefully (slowly) weave through them like a senior driving without their phone books in a big ole Cadillac. 

Yes, that would be the idea. She is not the project lead, so she didn't have any real specifics unfortunately. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

The general response in my neighborhood would be "OMG, I can't believe they are going to make biking safer by making it harder for me to drive 50 while texting. It's going to make me even later dropping the kids off at school, which means I'll be really late to my hot yoga class. How can they do this to me. Stupid bicycles need to be banned, they are a menace to cars. And, who cares if pedestrians can't get across the street easily, they should be in a car - that's how humans are meant to get around"

2 hours ago, gmac said:

Cyclists are fine as long as they follow all the traffic laws. Blowing through stop signs is a sure recipe to end up as an asphalt pizza with human topping.

Cyclists who blow through stop signs without slowing or checking for traffic are not just flouting traffic laws, they're borderline suicidal. 
But this is not usually the case. Most cyclists are acutely aware of how vulnerable they are, and don't play games of chicken with motor vehicles. 
When riding on side streets that have stop signs every block or two, many cyclists (myself included) will slow when approaching the intersection and prepare to stop if there are vehicles or pedestrians who have the right-of-way. Otherwise, it makes sense to maintain some inertia. 
Repeatedly starting from a dead stop is exhausting and puts cyclists at a disadvantage. If a situation arises, they're caught flat-footed and unable to run or bike out of harm's way.
Traffic laws can do a lot of good, but as @Texasotapointed out, most were written specifically for cars. They work better if common sense is used in their application.

4 hours ago, Texasota said:

Do you feel the same way about drivers who blow through stop signs, or is it just cyclists?

Is it relevant to you that traffic laws were designed for cars with bikes only awkwardly included? 

Nope.

I get much more upset by automobile drivers who flout the laws. I've never seen a cyclist kill someone else by breaking the law.

can we spend a moment of our time to discuss vehicle drivers that are always going at least 10 over the limit? I'd say that's probably 98% of all vehicles on the road. 

then there's the ultra fast guys who want to go 20 over and want to only do it in the left lane so they park their car in your rear seat if you aren't going fast enough for them. of course, this is the same guy who's willing to endanger the lives of a cyclist who might be obeying all the laws of the road.

shrug, can't we all just get along?

15 hours ago, gmac said:

Nope.

I get much more upset by automobile drivers who flout the laws. I've never seen a cyclist kill someone else by breaking the law.

Quite right.  On a recent bike ride, I was paused at a traffic signal.  Signal turned green for me, but I waited for the car that blew threw her red light while reading something on her phone.  If I blow threw a red light reading my phone while on my bike, it's MY problem.  The phone-reader in her car is going to kill someone.

Archived