Courtlandt Place History

Subdude

• 1 year later...
Courtlandt Place

Architectural Walking Tour

2 p.m., Sunday, November 13, 2005

Meets at Taft Street and Lovett Boulevard,

West entrance to Courtlandt Place

Step behind the gates of Courtlandt Place to discover the charms of one of Houston's most elegant historic neighborhoods during GHPA's 90-minute architectural walking tour. This private enclave includes a living record of early 20th-century architectural styles. Houston's foremost architects designed these distinctive historic homes for some of the city's most prominent families. Courtlandt Place is a City of Houston Historic Landmark and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Tickets are $10 per person ($7 for GHPA members and students with valid ID). Children 11 years old and under are admitted free. Tickets go on sale at 1:30 p.m. on the day of the tour at the intersection of Taft Street and Lovett Boulevard at the pedestrian gate to Courtlandt Place. Reservations are not required. Tickets may be charged to VISA, MasterCard or American Express. Please note this is an exterior architecture tour only. The tour will not go inside any of the homes.

Free parking is available along Lovett Boulevard and adjacent streets. Please do not park inside Courtlandt Place. For directions and details, please visit www.ghpa.org.

Please update on the next tour.

This is another "can't miss" for people like me that have a major passion for historical architecture. Oh, that's right I guess I could just check the website you indicated. Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Following the previous volumes of local interest in Arcadia Publishing's "Images of America" series (Rails Around Houston, Houston in the 1920s and 1930s, and Houston Heights) is another neighborhood-focused entry, Houston's Courtlandt Place.

I wasn't aware this was being published until spotting a big stack at the Costco on I-10 yesterday. They also had a few copies of the Houston Heights book, as well as another one I'd never seen, Houston by Daniel Monsanto, from the Postcard History series.

Glad to see more Houston-related entries appearing from Arcadia - all of them have been very well done, with many photos that have not been widely published elsewhere.

• 9 months later...

Step back in time and experience Houston at the dawn of the 20th century!

You are invited to visit Courtlandt Place, founded 1906, a crown jewel of historic preservation located in the heart of Montrose. Seven splendid homes, c. 1910 - 1926, celebrated for their exemplary architecture, craftsmanship, and sophisticated interior design, will be on tour October 16th and 17th. A superb collection of vintage Courtlandt Place photographs and period costumes will be on display. Guests may also enjoy two magnificent gardens and a leisurely, self-guided walking tour of the picturesque private neighborhood.

Homes will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday and Sunday. Individual tickets provide admission and re-admission on one day only.

Proceeds benefit Courtlandt Place Historical Foundation, and a portion of the revenues will be donated to the Hermann Park Conservancy.

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/100369

Step back in time and experience Houston at the dawn of the 20th century!

You are invited to visit Courtlandt Place, founded 1906, a crown jewel of historic preservation located in the heart of Montrose. Seven splendid homes, c. 1910 - 1926, celebrated for their exemplary architecture, craftsmanship, and sophisticated interior design, will be on tour October 16th and 17th. A superb collection of vintage Courtlandt Place photographs and period costumes will be on display. Guests may also enjoy two magnificent gardens and a leisurely, self-guided walking tour of the picturesque private neighborhood.

Homes will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday and Sunday. Individual tickets provide admission and re-admission on one day only.

Proceeds benefit Courtlandt Place Historical Foundation, and a portion of the revenues will be donated to the Hermann Park Conservancy.

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/100369

It is indeed a lovely neighborhood, a private enclave usually inaccessible to the public. I've read that the neighborhood was laid out by a St. Louis architect, and St. Louis has similar neighborhoods built at the turn of the 20th century.

This is where I saw Sally Field, while she was filming "A Woman of Independent Means".

The street used to be public. In the 80's they gated the Spur side and sealed up the side on Taft. I remember riding my bike through there back then. Georgeous! I think the residents bought the street from the city.

The street was originally private, then was bought by the City to provide access to the West as those areas developed. The residents bought the street back in the 80's to reduce the incidence of drunks in the yards, sex in the yards, and general mayhem that had spilled over from lower Westheimer.

Our old car club was invited to share in the experience one year. We were asked to dress in our period costumes and park our cars along the street.

My family was unable to participate as we had prior plans.

One question though, do they have city services? Trash pickup, water meter readers, etc. Must be a pain in the rear when one of the neighbors needs their cable repaired.

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Courtlandt Pl.
  • The title was changed to Courtlandt Place History