Crave Restaurant And Lounge At 516 Westheimer Rd.

dbigtex56

The rumor in Avondale is ….the group behind Taste Bar (on Bagby, the one with long crowded waiting lines and no one wearing masks)now own the new bar in former Indika— is that true? Also was taking “I-k-a” off signage so it now reads IND  done on purpose? When we walked by last night is was very crowded.

22 hours ago, trymahjong said:

The rumor in Avondale is ….the group behind Taste Bar (on Bagby, the one with long crowded waiting lines and no one wearing masks)now own the new bar in former Indika— is that true? Also was taking “I-k-a” off signage so it now reads IND  done on purpose? When we walked by last night is was very crowded.

No. Don Bowie and his hospitality group Culinary Matters have nothing to do with Black Orchid, the restaurant and lounge occupying the former Indika space at 516 Westheimer.

Bowie does have a restaurant & lounge that is likely opening this quarter in the Washington Corridor area. That concept is a steakhouse and New American restaurant named Rare, located at 4105 Washington Ave. It will also include a lounge/club.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to 500 Block Of Westheimer Rd.

The name of the business taking over the former Indika restaurant space at 516 Westheimer has changed again.

Instead of  Black Orchid, it's now Crave. The concept is the same: restaurant and club/lounge, what's also been coined as "vibe dining" (i.e. Turkey Leg Hut, Taste, Bar 5015, Kiss, Parma, Lost & Found, Quotes, and Kamp)

On 6/27/2022 at 7:41 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The name of the business taking over the former Indika restaurant space at 516 Westheimer has changed again.

Instead of  Black Orchid, it's now Crave. The concept is the same: restaurant and club/lounge, what's also been coined as "vibe dining" (i.e. Turkey Leg Hut, Taste, Bar 5015, Kiss, Parma, Lost & Found, Quotes, and Kamp)

A blurb about Crave leasing the building at 516 Westheimer Rd in an article published yesterday by Houston Chronicle:

"Crave Restaurant and Lounge leased 4,614 square feet at 516 Westheimer next to Traveler’s Table in the Lower Westheimer/Montrose area. Tooba Patoli and Rafael Melara of Hunington Properties represented the tenant."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Retail-wrap-Lazy-Dog-Restaurant-Bar-expanding-17275374.php

• The title was changed to 516 Westheimer Rd.

A side note.

I watched this building being built—— original owners  bought house on my street before divorcing. I got to hear descriptions of this building … couldn’t quite picture it in my mind. But after completion I loved it!

that cylinder/ Coppola whatever really pinged my imagination! I thought with the right neon lights artfully done, it would be a show stopper for PRIDE parade…..this was when parade ended at Whitney..

We’ll, a more  subtle light scheme chosen over neon. iMHOH……., I think who ever buys this building should redefine the concept of  subtle in a Montrose renaissance sort of way…..a coordinated color palate of neon at each window and perhaps a moody sort of dimension color changing  search light on the Coppola.

Another side note- met the owner by stopping my car while another neighbor was talking to him. This will be lounge with great food, a DJ but no live music.

I might have found out more but got s big car honk and had to move on- .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 2:57 PM, trymahjong said:

This will be lounge with great food, a DJ but no live music.

Obviously it will have a DJ and little to no live music nightly. If you recall from my previous posts, I noted many times this is a lounge, clubby, dining establishment like Turkey Leg Hut, Taste, Lost & Found, and other similar businesses. All of those places have DJs or streaming playlists. Rarely is live music offered nightly, the exception being special shows or events.

Also, I think Crave will be more lounge and hookah bar, which I also noted a few times above. Crave has another location in Las Vegas where there is heavy emphasis on hookahs and partying, but very little on food. The menu posted to their Houston website (the site is down now) showed only light bites. The cuisine is mostly American with few West African finger foods.

https://www.craverestauranthtx.com

I mean, it's puzzling with the continuous concept comparisons to places like Turkey Leg Hut, Taste, Lost & Found and Kamp, how anyone would not grasp that this place will be or similar to a lounge and have a DJ on hand.

Anyone familiar with any one of those establishments or places similar to them knows the vibe. The music situation is also a given. And if someone isn't, a glance at those business' social media or review listings also provide insight, or at the very least, sets some sort of expectation for this business.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 2:55 PM, gene said:

again, when a post comes off as arrogant and condescending the whole point is lost. hopefully those that do this try to keep that in mind when posting.  🙂

My comment and its tone wasn't meant to be condescending, as I stated previously. Some of yours has certainly been in the past, though.

Again, I was pointing out to that person that Crave will have a somewhat similar environment to the places listed above: demographics will mostly be African-Americans and other blacks in their 20's and 30's; music will likely be hip hop, rap, R&B, reggae, and Afrobeat; will have hookah, and have a party+club atmosphere.

On 10/24/2021 at 8:55 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Instead of Hide & Seek, the name of the business at 516 Westheimer Rd is Whisper. The space was last occupied by Indika.

Whisper is going to operate as a restaurant and also double as a  lounge, possibly a hookah lounge. I'm assuming the target audience is the same demographic James Harden's Thirteen, Kamp, and Parma aim for.

I don't know how to embed Instagram photos and videos to this forum, but for anyone interested, one of the owners shared visuals of the renovation progress on their page.

https://instagram.com/p/CJycmuaFLkg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ_2JbGlKH6/

On 12/11/2021 at 8:36 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The name of the business renovating the former Indika restaurant at 516 Westheimer Rd has changed its name again.

The new name is Black Orchid. But the concept is the same: restaurant and club/lounge. Someone involved with this claims the restaurant will serve Continental cuisine.

I'm more interested in seeing the renovations once completed.

On 6/27/2022 at 7:41 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

a party atmosphere.

• 1 month later...

• The title was changed to Crave Restaurant And Lounge At 516 Westheimer Rd.