Texas Traffic Signals

MiDTOWNeR

I always thought it was to reduce the number that blow down in hurricanes.

My old neighborhood in Brooklyn had horizontal traffic lights. It was the only part of New York that did. I haven't been back in 20 years, so it might not be like that anymore.

I've had a personal grievence with the lights in west houston recently. I sat at one light where the turn arrow only made it into the rotation every third cycle. The line for that turn was backed up for miles... people just started going through the red when the straight traffic hit yellow.

One time I was in Houston and there were Verticl lights, and it really confused me. California and Arizona have horizantal lights too. Last time I went to Cail I remember Big nice looking trffic lights so does the Phoenix.

Jeebus, have they changed the color of the lights ? They are still Red, Yellow, and Green, correct ? I know those colors can be downright complicated, they've only been using them for 80 or so years. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming in ? :D:lol::D

This explains alot.

What I mean is I have always lived where the lights are overhead, so when they were over to the side I was like how do you know when to turn left. But after awhile if fugured those lights out.

Like when I first started driving and drove to Houston one time I almost got ran over because driving in Houston and Bryan/College Station are total diffrent. Here we drive much slower and less aggressive then Houston people, but now I am a very agressive driver.

My experience in Houston tells me that folks nomally do not see the lights at all. The amount of red light running is far greater than in any other US city. Perhaps the multitude of folks from overseas, where red light running is an art, is the reason.

red light running is an art

unfortunately, being rude, aggressive, and having a complete lack of awareness is par for the course and apparently an art here, regardless of where anyone is from :(

i get nervous when driving in other cities such as chicago, st. louis, seattle (lack of familiarity) but have never experienced the type of driving that i do here on a daily basis...

Jeebus, have they changed the color of the lights ? They are still Red, Yellow, and Green, correct ? I know those colors can be downright complicated, they've only been using them for 80 or so years. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming in ? :D:lol::D

Damn it TJ - you actually made me laugh out loud!

The only place I ever experienced worse driving was New Orleans. They're not aggressive there as we are here, they're simply unskilled.

unfortunately, being rude, aggressive, and having a complete lack of awareness is par for the course and apparently an art here, regardless of where anyone is from :(

i get nervous when driving in other cities such as chicago, st. louis, seattle (lack of familiarity) but have never experienced the type of driving that i do here on a daily basis...

Chicago drivers more friendly than Houston? I beg to differ... The three years I drove my car in Chicago was a total nightmare. The drivers there were ignorant and downright vicious. I came back to Houston and got a job as a courier - loved it. Drove 1,000 miles a week, and the whole thing was a cakewalk. There are some jerks around here, but Houstonians should be thankful for what they have.

Chicago drivers more friendly than Houston? I beg to differ... The three years I drove my car in Chicago was a total nightmare. The drivers there were ignorant and downright vicious. I came back to Houston and got a job as a courier - loved it. Drove 1,000 miles a week, and the whole thing was a cakewalk. There are some jerks around here, but Houstonians should be thankful for what they have.

that's great - and i am glad for you...but my experiences have been different. chicago was a while back, and other than being completely lost, i had no problems. a couple weeks isn't a true test, perhaps.

driving in the medical center daily might not be either...on one hand you have distressed (and rightfully so) out-of-towners without a clue in the world, and then asshole physicians (yes, this is verified! :lol: ) who think they rule the road.

Here's another signal-related question:

What's with the double red lights on left turn arrows? Does that mean you can't turn left even when no cars are coming?

If so, this is new to me (sort of new...been here a while) having spent a lot of time driving in the Midwest and Northeast where you're more than welcome to cross five lanes of traffic turning left if you think you can make it.

I would think these "no left turn yield" lights counter any free enterprise/laissez-faire/no zoning ideals that represent Houston/Texas...and that's precisely why you'll see me turning left on the double red when no cars are approaching.

However, if it is that these double reds don't mean "no yield, wait your turn for the arrow," then please ignore my comments.

Studies have found that people pay better attention to horizontially placed traffic lights. The same goes for yellow fixtures with LED bulbs as well, versus black or green fixtures with traditional bulbs.

ME thinks you are making this one up.

I really did not expect such a response to my question. However noone seems to know WHY Texas does this and most places do not.

Here's another signal-related question:

What's with the double red lights on left turn arrows? Does that mean you can't turn left even when no cars are coming?

i thought it was for greater visibilty and to help with color-blindedness...i am probably wrong though

edit:

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersections/r...eport/chap3.htm

for safety and greater visibilty...

Why are they positioned horizontally as opposed to the vertical position most of the world goes along with?
That's because horizontal lights provide more clearance than vertical lights, which lets engineers cut the height of the signal structures, Reshadi-Nezhad said. Also, federal guidelines let the state use just one horizontal signal across multiple lanes, but often call for one vertical signal hanging over each lane, she said.

from http://www.jsonline.com/traffic/news/jun02...sp?format=print

ME thinks you are making this one up.

I saw it on a news-documentary show a few years back - Dateline perhaps. The story was focused around the 5 worst intersections in the nation. They interviewed engineers who said that testing found less accidents at intersections with horizontal lights versus vertical lights.

To answer Sam Houston's question, if I read his question correctly, the only time it is permissable to turn LEFT on a redlight, is when the street you are turning onto is a ONEWAY thru traffic. Other than that you have to wait to turn, green arrow, or yield to turn when it is solid green. :ph34r:

The double red lights on the left turn signals actually serve a very practical purpose. At most intersections there is only one left turn signal, which there are at least two signals for thru-traffic and right turns. If the red light on the left turn signal burns out, there needs to be a backup, hence the second red light on those signals. For traffic heading straight and turning right, the backup is the other signal(s) for traffic heading in those directions.

I really prefer horizontal signals to vertical. I think it just looks better. Texas is not entirely horizontal though, and there are intersections in the Houston area where vertical signals exist. The signals on Westheimer between Highway 6 and Dairy Ashford are all vertical, and there are others scattered around. In many rural areas of the state vertical signals are more the norm, and in the Beaumont/Pt. Arthur area, there are many signals that are vertical along the freeway frontage roads. The city of Dallas also has quite a few vertical signals.

• 4 weeks later...

Have any of y'all ever been to Orlando, FL? I like how they have their traffic lights, although they are special for hurricane regions, they are very unique. When we went last year, i had never seen anything like them before.

Im not a visual speaker, so I hope this will give y'all a decent picture...

Imagine a 4 way intersection, 2 roads the size of Westheimer. Two of the corners, diagonal from each other, have cube shaped aluminum poles that are a good 15 or 16 feet tall and are connected with a "cube" shaped bar that runs diagonal above the full span of the intersection. The traffic lights are then vertical, each which is perfectly aligned for each lane or turn lane and fastened to the diagonal span over the road. The cube shaped poles/span bar resemble that of the track of a Giga or Hyper coaster. They would look nice in Houston, but would be a massive expenditure.

Archived