You are pitifully misinformed. You must be young. You seem like you have a slight glee in these ridiculous dire predictions for New Orleans, it's future, and its' pro teams. I live here, and am privy, as a banker, to business news and discussions that aren't even public. New Orleans will and is coming back just fine. All, in New Orleans, are predicting a post Katrina population in New Orleans within 5 years of around 550,000 (yes, larger than pre-Katrina). There are projects coming that are large residential towers that are planned (several for the now famous Ninth ward). But, again, there are companies that are sniffing around New Orleans that noone is allowed to mention just yet. I will say there are, at least 5, based in Houston, that are likely to move their corporate headquarters from Houston and to New Orleans. They are waiting for the tax incentives to come into place first and then they will be making the switch. I know these things as fact and truth. I sat in the meetings myself.

This is a quote from "Sean in New Orleans". He says that there are five companies moving from Houston to New Orleans. Which do you suppose the companies are that are moving? I didn't think we would lose companies from Houston because of Katrina, I though it was the other way around.

Certainly, anything is possible, even though the prevailing view is that New Orleans will have half of the population "Sean" predicts. But, I would have to say put me in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. This article in today's Chronicle suggests that most of those large residential towers would sit empty. However, New Orleans WILL rebound in some form. It remains to be seen what form it takes, and how long it takes to get there.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3424756

As for Houston companies leaving, I suppose the tax incentives could be big enough to entice some of them, but again, it would be surprising, given the consolidation of oil companies in Houston from New Orleans, not the other way around.

As to the glee in New Orleans' misfortune, I would direct "Sean" to all of those articles about Houston HELPING New Orleans. You could start by looking at the threads in this forum. Sure, there are 2 or 3 posters predicting doom and gloom, but these are the same 2 or 3 that gripe about Houston, too. I realize that his quote is taken out of context, so I won't go any further.

This is a quote from "Sean in New Orleans". He says that there are five companies moving from Houston to New Orleans. Which do you suppose the companies are that are moving? I didn't think we would lose companies from Houston because of Katrina, I though it was the other way around.

I think Sean is just in denial about his city. Honestly I don't think New Orleans will ever be like it was. Its a city that is below sea level and there is so much that can be lost because of that.

I am like the rest of you though, I will beleve it when I see it.

Not to hurt anyones feelings from New Orleans, but everyone that I have spoke with and is from the New Orleans area, they say they are staying in Texas. And its hard to beleve Trumph will build that tower in New Oreans, Mabe he will but I think he is doning it so that residence of the city don't give up, because if they see that he still plans to build they will think "Oh! there could be hope." Aslo no one can tell me that the owner of the Saints doesn't want to move to San Antonio, he wanted to before this happened. And for him to say that he doesn't plan to leave New Orleans for San Antonio, he just doesn't want everyone hatting him so he just quickly said that, but by this time next year if New Oreans isn't back to normal, I don't think it would be feasible for him to keep the Saints in New Orleans.

The Shell division in New Orleans has been waiting for an excuse to leave N.O. for a long time. Infact, alot of the oil/natural gas companies (and divisions) are relocating to Houston, or Lafeyette. New Orleans won't be the same. Its a sad thought. If another Hurricane came threw, I think they'll just give up on it.

I remember a year or so back, when we were talking about New Orleans, and I remember a post that said "A Category 4 or 5 would destroy New Orleans" and this was way before anyone ever thought this would happen.

NAWLINS, needs to concentrate on what has worked all these years, the Hospitality Industry, bars, restaurants, and hotels. Make sure those businesses are still going and keep Bourbon street alive. Fortune 500 companies may take a chance with N.O. once again, after everything has subsided, and a new and stronger levy system is built. The Port industry is too important in New Orleans also, so I don't think the city will ever become a Ghosttown. A few important refineries in the area also, and offshore rigs, make N.O. vital to Big Oil. I don't know that N.O. will ever see the population numbers it had, for at least 20 years or more. Too many displaced families have already started new lives here in Houston, and other cities. I myself have done business with over 2 dozen Katrina evacuees in the past month. They are starting over here or wherever, but NOT in N.O. They have seriously been traumatized by the whole ordeal. Some tell me they just don't want the memories, or that episode happening to them again.

I'm going to be blunt and truthful. Forgive me for not sounding politically correct.

New Orleans needs to be raised 7 feet. I repeat, New Orleans needs to be raised 7 feet. Especially at the Ninth Ward area. Galveston's entire island was raised after their major hurricane ONE HUNDRED years ago. It's not impossible. It's only expensive. And if you the taxpayer, or the Bush administration do not feel that New Orleans is worth raising, the best levees in the world need to be built in that city in time for next year's hurricane season. But there's no way you can convince me that 9th ward and any part of New Orleans should be rebuilt without the citizens there being reassured that what happened in Katrina will never happen again.

And when I say that (the aftermath), I'm not talking about the Convention Center or the Superdome either. No city should ever have been built 5 feet below sea level without state-of-the-art flood control, and ANYthing outdated (the f*cking levee system).

They never expected a tsunami to hit Southeast Asia December 26th last year, but it happened, and there were not enough warning systems put in the Indian Ocean prior to that. A quarter of a million people died there, but the number would not have been as high if people along those coastlines were pre-warned. The difference with New Orleans is that EVERYONE has been prewarned for DECADES that this city was very vunerable to even a category 3 hurricane. It wasn't a secret. But the local, state, and federal governments had their heads up their culos. All they did was plan to evacuate people 2 days before the hurricane came, and had NO plan on how they were going to keep the flood waters out of people's homes. NOT ENOUGH MONEY WAS PUT INTO THE LEVEE SYSTEMS TO KEEP THEM UP TO DATE. THAT'S WHY THEY BROKE.

Put money into preserving New Orleans by raising the land, or building the levees stronger, MUCH higher, and MUCH thicker than ever before. Until that happens, people like Sean, Ray Nagin, President Bush, and people in general need to have a coke and a smile and stop even THINKING about moving businesses out of Houston into New Orleans without making New Orleans a safe long-term place to live first <_<

It would be harder to raise New Orleans seven feet. Yes, Galveston was raised, but that must have been easier than this beacuse there are more things in New Orleans than in Galveston.

Galveston was raised about 104 years ago, plus Galveston was much smaller at the time and land wise its samller, plus it was much cheaper back then.

BTW, 7 feet would do nothing for New Orleans, it would still be below sea level, so what is the point of 7ft. ? How do you propose to lift structures such as The Superdome and The Hyatt connected to it , to put this 7 ft. of dirt underneath ? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

BTW, 7 feet would do nothing for New Orleans, it would still be below sea level, so what is the point of 7ft. ? How do you propose to lift structures such as The Superdome and The Hyatt connected to it , to put this 7 ft. of dirt underneath ? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

New Orleans is currently 5 feet below sea level. It needs to be raised at LEAST a few feet above sea level at minimum

7 feet is the magical measurement. I saw it in an episode of LOST.

:lol::lol::lol:

Lastly, you are right CincoRanch-HoustonResident, there ARE a lot of businesses in New Orleans, and it will be VERY expensive. But if it's not done, and these business do not want to invest their money in preserving that city, then they need to talk more about moving their businesses out of New Orleans, instead of trying to figure out how to move Houston's businesses in.

The levees are about 20 ft. high. So, 7 ft. won't do anything, if a levee breaks again then you might only get about 3 ft. of water in your house instead of 9 to 10 like most people did. New Orleans is in a bowl, nowhere for water to go once it gets in.

DJ V Lawrence

The 5 feet below sea level is around downtown. Some areas reach as low as 20 feet and some area are at sea level.

The Mississippi River has levees that exceed sea level for the spring snow melt from the Midtwest. There is no issue with having a city below sea level. The city would have been fine if the corrupt New Orleans Levee board wouldn't have wasted the money allocated to them. The Army Corps had warned them but couldn't do anything since they weren't in charge of the levees (except for the Mississippi River and the Bonne Carre Spillway).

I think a reorganization of the levee boards or just putting the Corps in charge would help things out.

DJ V Lawrence

The 5 feet below sea level is around downtown. Some areas reach as low as 20 feet and some area are at sea level.

The Mississippi River has levees that exceed sea level for the spring snow melt from the Midtwest. There is no issue with having a city below sea level. The city would have been fine if the corrupt New Orleans Levee board wouldn't have wasted the money allocated to them. The Army Corps had warned them but couldn't do anything since they weren't in charge of the levees (except for the Mississippi River and the Bonne Carre Spillway).

I think a reorganization of the levee boards or just putting the Corps in charge would help things out.

I never was aware of the news that part of the city was 20 ft below sea level. I was always told the whole city was equally 5 ft below and had two or three large bodies of water to contend with should a natural disaster occured.

Point taken. Something needs to be done to preserve the city first, though, before anyone can start discussing how they can try to take advantage of Houston by taking it's businesses. I thought the idea was for Houston to help New Orleans to get back on it's feet so New Orleans could get restored. It's like "Dude, you saved my life. Now let me sue you."

I wouldn't be too concerned about New Orleans taking Houston businesses. According to the New Orleans newspaper, only about 100,000 of their residents have returned, only 10% of their hotels are accepting tourists, with another 25% filled with workers, and the businesses that ARE open cannot find workers to staff the stores. Not to mention the dire shortage of housing that is keeping so many away.

It is good that the business community is optimistic about New Orleans' chances of survival, but it will be years before enough residents and businesses return to need to take any other city's business. By that time, if 5 Houston businesses find it advantageous to go to New Orleans, it would not even register on the radar screen of a metro with 3 million jobs.

^^^

Yeah,

My mom told me this past weekend that two of the Malls in Jefferson Parish (Eslplanade and Lakeside) are opening. The stores opening have tables out in the parking lots will job applications to hire people.

Also, the cleanup crews are actively looking for people to clean up too. Many of the people that evacuated and need jobs can go back and get paid quite well to clean their own city.

On another note, Baton Rouge is entering an areas a real estate boom.

Prices are rising on houses as supply dwindles down. Many New Orleans residents that have flooded and had flood insurance are buying houses with there money from FEMA. People that had small shotgun houses worth $400k in the garden district can easily aford a nice $250-300k home in Baton Rouge and have plenty enough money left over.

Brand new 1600sf houses with 3 bed and 2 bath on small lots are going to 200k where they used to go for 125k. Many people in Baton Rouge residents are selling and making a nice profit on there homes. The city is bustling like it hasn't before. It was always a nice city, now its a big city.

On another note, Baton Rouge is entering an areas a real estate boom.

Prices are rising on houses as supply dwindles down. Many New Orleans residents that have flooded and had flood insurance are buying houses with there money from FEMA. People that had small shotgun houses worth $400k in the garden district can easily aford a nice $250-300k home in Baton Rouge and have plenty enough money left over.

Brand new 1600sf houses with 3 bed and 2 bath on small lots are going to 200k where they used to go for 125k. Many people in Baton Rouge residents are selling and making a nice profit on there homes. The city is bustling like it hasn't before. It was always a nice city, now its a big city.

What other cities do you know of that are having a post-Katrina real estate boom similar to that of Baton Rouge?

Houston might be having one. I suspect that Shrevport could have some kind of a boost. Maybe even Lake Charles before Rita.

Edit:

Eh...Looks like we need the bad people from New Orleans, like the people who kiiled that elderly lady that was trying to help them.

Sean In New Orleans again....

Mad?! Why on Earth would I be mad? We've got a wonderful utopia developing in New Orleans. We haven't had one murder since Hurricane Katrina. Texas can have those that flocked there. We don't want them back. They are a bunch of uneducated, crime-ridden, bums who specialize in living for free off of society. We had to deal with them long enough....now it's ya'lls turn. No complaints AT ALL from here in New Orleans. We're having a great time here and the RIGHT people are coming back....We're just fine in New Orleans. We've got our work to do, but, we're doing it....

Interesting thing about the murder of the Pasadena woman...none of the killers are evacuees, and none of them are from New Orleans. Two are from Beaumont, but not the hard hit section. The third is from Houma, La, 60-75 miles SOUTHWEST of New Orleans. Recall, Katrina hit east of New Orleans. Houma no more got hit by Katrina than Houston did by Rita.

Apparently, these criminals used the evacuees as COVER for their own gain, not because it was true, but because it allowed them access to people's humanity.

As for Sean, if it makes him feel better, let him rant...or brag...or whatever it is he's doing. What they are going through, he deserves a bit of slack, even if he does describe it as fun.

Actually, that is a very common mindset amongst long-time white New Orleans residents, especially the ones from the old families. Some of them are the the most visciously bigoted people in all of the South. Not saying "Sean" is old New Orleans mind you, only that I have heard that mindset many times before.

OK, in its context, I no longer feel sorry for "Sean". Now, I think he is just an idiot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Sean in New Orleans

"It's not a big market. It's a market that already has allegiances to two other NFL teams (the Cowboys and Houston Texans). And it's a city with a huge Hispanic population that likes soccer better than American football.

"There's no way that 24 teams in the National Football League are going to vote for any team to move to San Antonio. It's just not a market worth going to."

Even though New Orleans has a slightly smaller population than San Antonio when it comes to immediate metro population, the San Antonio market does not have the population immediately surrounding New Orleans, and, certainly appears to not have an adequate fan base or support for a NFL team...it's a poor spanish town, when one analyzes the rubber meeting the road. But, no one can deny that it is a beautiful City....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From me,

I like how this guy can talk crap about San Antonio is a poor Spanish City, and how they don't like football because they are a hispanic city. Even though Preseason Games in Mexico city house more that 100,000 fans, and San Antonio, Texas BUILT a stadium for a football team to one day move in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean In New Orleans again....

Mad?! Why on Earth would I be mad? We've got a wonderful utopia developing in New Orleans. We haven't had one murder since Hurricane Katrina. Texas can have those that flocked there. We don't want them back. They are a bunch of uneducated, crime-ridden, bums who specialize in living for free off of society. We had to deal with them long enough....now it's ya'lls turn. No complaints AT ALL from here in New Orleans. We're having a great time here and the RIGHT people are coming back....We're just fine in New Orleans. We've got our work to do, but, we're doing it....

Yeah, this Sean guy. I think he's kinda delerious. Trying to make the best out of a situation that is still, well, a situation. Obviously he feels that there's no reason why the Saints would choose San Antonio over New Orleans, no reason why the Hornets would ever choose Oklahoma City over New Orleans, no reason why a business would choose Houston over New Orleans, and there is no reason for giving gratitude to all the cities that took in the hurricane victims will low sources of income, because obviously, he doesn't want all his citizens back in New Orleans in the first place.

He sucks. And he needs to get his priorities straight (what we posted before)

Archived