Atlantic Station In Atlanta Now Open!

I was in Atlanta a few times. I flew over it many times.

Their metro reeks of urine in many of the stations.

They have mediocre architecture.

They have a stagnant cultural environment.

We have great architecture-world class architecture:

Museum of Fine Arts by Mies van der Rohe.

DeMenil by Piano.

Pennzoil, DeMenil Residence, University of St. Thomas among others by Johnson.

Herring Hall at Rice University; Four Leaf Towers and Four Oaks Plaza by Pelli.

World class opera.

Theatre seating second only to NYC.

World class museums.

World class medical center.

World class-lets land some guys on the moon-space center.

So Atlanta has some cheesy artificial "urban" Atlantic thing. You want that? Go to the Woodlands or Sugarland. They are chock-full of sterile, lily white, homogonized developments.

I have to agree with kjb-which I hardly ever do because I think the planet may tilt on it's axis, but "why do you so blindly put so much stock into it being more than Houston?"

Answer that one.

B)

I don't mean to clog this thread but after reading the above post I had to say, why didn't I say that?

I mentioned a few days ago that Atlanta looked and felt like a giant business park. Well you itemized why I felt that way.

Citykid, Atlanta is not what you think.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been to Atlanta one time if you count going to the airport.

I bet there's a great view of those urban lofts or buckhead from the airport. :lol:

Citykid - even if we did have all those projects going on right now, you'd still be posting pictures of developments in other cities like Seattle, Denver, or Tampa. Its a no win for you because you refuse to come to term with the fact that Houston is sufficent for your desires.

All this, and you don't even live in Houston.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people on these internet forums will fall for the same unproductive delicate flower session when something good happens to a rival city. Whatever.

I'm involved with one of the market research suppliers working for the Ikea at Atlantic Station. One thing I did not expect from customer demographics is that virtually every nationality found in the metro area seems to like visiting this store. The worldly effect on the development should be very pleasant - Atlantic Station officially opened last week.... Views of downtown and midtown are fantastic, and most people could find an affordable home among the projects offerings. The condos on top floors of the highrises I think are going to be very pricey....

Just to be sure everyone knows, Atlanta Station is an urban, mixed-use, master planned development currently consisting of an open air shopping mall, several midrise apartment buildings, several lowrise townhouse rows, highrise condos and a highrise office building. It's one of those trendy new urbanist mixed-use master plans which encompass a couple hundred acers. Similar to Victory Park in Dallas, Atlantic Station sits on an old brownfield.

I am unaware of anything like this currently existing in Houston - but yes one is in the works. Every Sunbelt city will end up with something like this. To me, the geographic setting is the most important aspect of one of these big master planned developments. Atlantic Station scores big time in location. It's got a train station in the works (MARTA is struggling), Georgia Tech is a few streets over, Atlanta's sapling cultural district is directly across 14 lanes of highway, the heart of Midtown is right across the highway, too.

And Gary, while you are playing your violin and wiping your tears, I am shaking my head because you still don't get it. The fact that you brought up the AstroDome, The Williams Tower, and NASA, said it all.

No more posts for me on this one. Peace.

And Gary, while you are playing your violin and wiping your tears, I am shaking my head because you still don't get it. The fact that you brought up the AstroDome, The Williams Tower, and NASA, said it all.

No more posts for me on this one. Peace.

Look as I said before in this thread, I like the concept of Atlantic Station with the walkability and all, but wouldn't it fit the description that you, and actually I personally, have been saying Houston has had recently with the shortcuts developers make when designing such projects? Just because Atlanta is a rival city, just like Dallas, does not mean we only have to look at what they are developing to see what we can match. Why not look at Portland's Pearl District or San Dirgo's Gaslamp District, or even Denver's infill patterns. They are the real deal. As I said before the town center developments, and that is what I get from Atlantic Station, is not trendy when trying to encompass it in an already urban area. I will say, of course it is better than what was there before.

All this, and you don't even live in Houston.

He doesn't even live here????

How bizarre... :blink:

B)

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people on these internet forums will fall for the same unproductive delicate flower session when something good happens to a rival city. Whatever.

I'm involved with one of the market research suppliers working for the Ikea at Atlantic Station. One thing I did not expect from customer demographics is that virtually every nationality found in the metro area seems to like visiting this store. The worldly effect on the development should be very pleasant - Atlantic Station officially opened last week.... Views of downtown and midtown are fantastic, and most people could find an affordable home among the projects offerings. The condos on top floors of the highrises I think are going to be very pricey....

Just to be sure everyone knows, Atlanta Station is an urban, mixed-use, master planned development currently consisting of an open air shopping mall, several midrise apartment buildings, several lowrise townhouse rows, highrise condos and a highrise office building. It's one of those trendy new urbanist mixed-use master plans which encompass a couple hundred acers. Similar to Victory Park in Dallas, Atlantic Station sits on an old brownfield.

I am unaware of anything like this currently existing in Houston - but yes one is in the works. Every Sunbelt city will end up with something like this. To me, the geographic setting is the most important aspect of one of these big master planned developments. Atlantic Station scores big time in location. It's got a train station in the works (MARTA is struggling), Georgia Tech is a few streets over, Atlanta's sapling cultural district is directly across 14 lanes of highway, the heart of Midtown is right across the highway, too.

Gee, Wally! That's swell!!!

B)

He doesn't even live here????

How bizarre... :blink:

B)

Gee, Wally! That's swell!!!

B)

You people in Houston don't consider Bryan/College Station to be apart of the Houston Region, but we are considered an exurb (or what ever it's called) of Houston. Since the 200 census it is know that a good precentage of Bryan/College Station residents work in Houston and a lot of Houstonians work in Bryan/ College Station. If you think about it, it takes like less than an hour for us in Bryan/College Station to reach the Houston area (Jersey Village/Cypress "290").

You people in Houston don't consider Bryan/College Station to be apart of the Houston Region, but we are considered an exurb (or what ever it's called) of Houston. Since the 200 census it is know that a good precentage of Bryan/College Station residents work in Houston and a lot of Houstonians work in Bryan/ College Station. If you think about it, it takes like less than an hour for us in Bryan/College Station to reach the Houston area (Jersey Village/Cypress "290").

Wrong again, citykid.

Table 1

Population and Growth, City of Houston and Surrounding Counties, 1970

I couldn't find a copy of the 200 Census. Maybe an Aggie wrote it... :lol:

B)

I know I am right. We are not in the Houston metro area, but we are considered an exurb of Houston because so many here go to work in Houston and vise-versa. It's obvious that we are apart of the Houston region, Go to our stores like the HEB's in Bryan College Station and you will see "Go Astros" signs everywhere. When Jack in the Box had the sports team intenna balls our area go Houston Texans. We can get the Houston Chronicle delivered to our house here, we get channel abc13 for the news, pbs 8, we use to get wb39, and long before that all of Houstons stations. But now we have all our own tv stations (our stations cover news out of Houston and Houstons sports). We also have abc, and pbs of our own but we get Houstons too because this area identifies with Houston. If you go to stores here, they are all run from the Houston district. Our post offices are in the Houston Regional mail district, so when you guys got Rita and everyone left, we didn't get mail. I mean, what more can I say, We are closer to Houston than any other major city, and I have been going to Houston my whole life.

Bryan/College Station, Texas is to Houston what Ontario, California is to Los Anegels

Uhhh...I get the NYT home delivered...go figure, huh?

Galveston is the closest major city to Houston-if you don't count Pasadena.

I can buy Detroit Tiger gear at Academy. Cowboys stuff as well.

I don't know why you people are so desparete to claim to be a part of Houston.

Is Bryan really that much of a hell-hole?

B)

Uhhh...I get the NYT home delivered...go figure, huh?

Galveston is the closest major city to Houston-if you don't count Pasadena.

I can buy Detroit Tiger gear at Academy. Cowboys stuff as well.

I don't know why you people are so desparete to claim to be a part of Houston.

Is Bryan really that much of a hell-hole?

B)

You can do that here to, what I am saying is that smaller cities rely on metros like Houston.

I know I am right. We are not in the Houston metro area, but we are considered an exurb of Houston because so many here go to work in Houston and vise-versa. It's obvious that we are apart of the Houston region, Go to our stores like the HEB's in Bryan College Station and you will see "Go Astros" signs everywhere. When Jack in the Box had the sports team intenna balls our area go Houston Texans. We can get the Houston Chronicle delivered to our house here, we get channel abc13 for the news, pbs 8, we use to get wb39, and long before that all of Houstons stations. But now we have all our own tv stations (our stations cover news out of Houston and Houstons sports). We also have abc, and pbs of our own but we get Houstons too because this area identifies with Houston. If you go to stores here, they are all run from the Houston district. Our post offices are in the Houston Regional mail district, so when you guys got Rita and everyone left, we didn't get mail. I mean, what more can I say, We are closer to Houston than any other major city, and I have been going to Houston my whole life.

Bryan/College Station, Texas is to Houston what Ontario, California is to Los Anegels

Wow. B/CS sounds so.......urban!

Bryan college station won't be considered part of the Houston metro area for a long time I think the town of Navasota will see a plan community knocking at tit city limits door long before that will happen to B/CS. Besides Navasota sounds better then Bryan-College Station. I am sure I could market Navasota as a small town American with wholesome good family values. And I think at that point Houston will decide to limit sprawl and never reach the city limits of B/CS.

*eelimon smiles and makes the following sound hehehehehehehehe*

Seriously though there is a lot of land between Houston and B/CS. Sprawl will do its bad job sooner or later and you and I am all who post on here will be old before B/CS is considered part of Houston

Yeah I'm familar with the station, as I mentioned twice before, I was just there. It's a decent area but is culturally void.

I am so sick of people trying to make this city into a homogenized urban developement, that's why I believe some of us fight threads like this. You and others take it like we hate ATL and Dallas and that's generally not the case. I think were just sick and tired of others telling us how we should mimick other cities.

Houston has done wonderfully in her inner city development. Yes there are issues that need to be addressed like midtown, but all in all things are coming together.

This city has done well for herself. An example for me is the drive I made home from Clear Lake yesterday. It was about 6:00 pm and the sky was crystal clear, and as I was coming to the Pierce Elevated I could see the whole city (Med Center, Uptown, Greenway Plaza & of course DT) and it looked magnificent. I couldn't help but think about this thread at the time and actually laughed at how rediculous some of us are when torturing Houston's lack of progress. I'm here to tell you that short of NY and Chi Town there is no city that puts off such power when looking at her skylines and there close proximity to one another. ATL doesn't come close.

Speaking of which, the end of your post mentions The "Sappling cultural district is directly across 14 lanes of highway, the heart of midtown is right across the highway to". I stayed in the heart of midtown ATL and ate lunch on several occasions in the Sappling district and it was not what I had heard or anticipated. The whole area closed by 5:00 pm and most of the area was homogenized. Oh I did meet Andre 2000 (I think that's his name) in one of the restaurants.

I went to Atlanta with an open mind and to be quite honest was pretty excited about it, so I assure you I have no axe to grind. Needless to say I was highly dissapointed.

Yeah I'm familar with the station, as I mentioned twice before, I was just there. It's a decent area but is culturally void.

I am so sick of people trying to make this city into a homogenized urban developement, that's why I believe some of us fight threads like this. You and others take it like we hate ATL and Dallas and that's generally not the case. I think were just sick and tired of others telling us how we should mimick other cities.

Houston has done wonderfully in her inner city development. Yes there are issues that need to be addressed like midtown, but all in all things are coming together.

This city has done well for herself. An example for me is the drive I made home from Clear Lake yesterday. It was about 6:00 pm and the sky was crystal clear, and as I was coming to the Pierce Elevated I could see the whole city (Med Center, Uptown, Greenway Plaza & of course DT) and it looked magnificent. I couldn't help but think about this thread at the time and actually laughed at how rediculous some of us are when torturing Houston's lack of progress. I'm here to tell you that short of NY and Chi Town there is no city that puts off such power when looking at her skylines and there close proximity to one another. ATL doesn't come close.

Speaking of which, the end of your post mentions The "Sappling cultural district is directly across 14 lanes of highway, the heart of midtown is right across the highway to". I stayed in the heart of midtown ATL and ate lunch on several occasions in the Sappling district and it was not what I had heard or anticipated. The whole area closed by 5:00 pm and most of the area was homogenized. Oh I did meet Andre 2000 (I think that's his name) in one of the restaurants.

I went to Atlanta with an open mind and to be quite honest was pretty excited about it, so I assure you I have no axe to grind. Needless to say I was highly dissapointed.

One of my unlces from Boston just left Atlanta on moday or tuesday, and he said it was ok, (he likes Houston better) but there where a lot of fine black girls, and alot of black owned business. He went to Club 112 and said it was good.

So, effectively, they're building it as a separate, self-contained city within another city. It does appear to be out in the middle of nowhere, but it IS an urban project. The style is very urban, even if the surrounding landscape isn't.

Even cities the size of Shreveport are coming to bat with these "cities within a city" type of projects, like Louisiana Boardwalk (http://www.louisianaboardwalk.com) and Provenance (http://www.yourprovenance.com.) Although these two projects literally pale in comparison to the project in Atlanta, they are still great projects for the size of area they are in.

It never ceases to amaze me...

The worldly effect on the development...

Views of downtown and midtown are fantastic...

Just to be sure everyone knows...

I am unaware of anything like this currently existing in Houston...

It never ceases to amaze me how much of a pompous ass I can sound like. I really was just trying to be informative. oops The views from Atlantic Station are fantastic, though.

Atlanta's sapling cultural district

Sapling meaning it's just barely there, struggling. The High Museum is a pleasant space, but the collection in anemic. A new symphony hall designed by Calatrava will be fit into the area, and I'm worried it's going to look like a silly Spanish Conquestador helmut.

It never ceases to amaze me how much of a pompous ass I can sound like. I really was just trying to be informative. oops The views from Atlantic Station are fantastic, though.

Sapling meaning it's just barely there, struggling. The High Museum is a pleasant space, but the collection in anemic. A new symphony hall designed by Calatrava will be fit into the area, and I'm worried it's going to look like a silly Spanish Conquestador helmut.

If you were refering to my comments regarding the "sapling district" I was aware of what you meant. I was using your terminology to make my point.

• 1 month later...

More pics of Atlantic Station, to get a look at how town and country will soon look.

yay, pictures for everyone. I'm sorry they aren't the best pictures, but it was getting pretty dark, and i was in kind of a hurry. just an idea of what it looks like at night with the decorations

AS1.jpg

AS2.jpg

AS3.jpg

AS4.jpg

AS5.jpg

AS6.jpg

AS7.jpg

AS8.jpg

AS9.jpg

AS10.jpg

AS11.jpg

this is the inside of the escalator to Dillards

ASescalator.jpg

this is the christmas tree in the middle

atlanticstationchristmastree.jpg

OK. I am taking the citykid route but I hope Town & Country reflects the 2nd Street Reatil District in Downtown Austin. The materials used in their project does not look as phony as the AS community. But the Westheimer and Kirby development is suppose to be by the same developers as the disrtict in Austin.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread...?threadid=93018

I'm not a huge fan of Atlantic Station. I'm glad it is urban in scale, but it still feels very suburban to me. These "urban" projects are becoming a dime a dozen. At this point for one to be a success I think it's got to: be in a GREAT site, have outstanding design, and/or have a unique draw. Fortunately AS has Ikea.

Kirby @ Westheimer is going to be great!

I will admit that Atlantic Station does have a nice set up, but it seems like its too much of an afterthought. It seems like they just copied some urban developments from Chicago or New York and basically put it in on stage.

I can kind of understand Citykid09's frustration when it comes to developments. Houston is the 4th largest city in the United States and it SHOULD act more like it. Other than having some bogus claims such as: the city with the tallest building outside of a CBD, or the second number of theatre seats after New York. Who cares? All that means nothing.

I am not saying this to get anyone upset but that's business, anywhere you go. Other cities are doing big things to make themselves more of an appealing and both better place to live. Houston doesn't seem to find the need to do things like that unless they know that the Superbowl or Olympics is coming to town. I'm not suggesting to take away the authenticity of Houston's streets and neighborhoods, but at least clean up MOST of the trashy areas so the bad areas don't outnumber the nice areas in the city. And yes, promote walkability and urban developments. It saves gas and in turn cuts down on air pollution.

A little off the subject but i work for the City of Houston and the Mayor just announced that he's going to select some of us to start working from home. He's also encouraging car-pooling more and more each day which is apart of his Clean Air Improvement Act. If you look at it more from that aspect, you start to see that having more of this Atlantic Station type of development inside the city could do more good than harm.

Archived