Atlantic Station In Atlanta Now Open!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will admit that Atlantic Station does have a nice set up, but it seems like its too much of an afterthought. It seems like they just copied some urban developments from Chicago or New York and basically put it in on stage.

I can kind of understand Citykid09's frustration when it comes to developments. Houston is the 4th largest city in the United States and it SHOULD act more like it. Other than having some bogus claims such as: the city with the tallest building outside of a CBD, or the second number of theatre seats after New York. Who cares? All that means nothing.

I am not saying this to get anyone upset but that's business, anywhere you go. Other cities are doing big things to make themselves more of an appealing and both better place to live. Houston doesn't seem to find the need to do things like that unless they know that the Superbowl or Olympics is coming to town. I'm not suggesting to take away the authenticity of Houston's streets and neighborhoods, but at least clean up MOST of the trashy areas so the bad areas don't outnumber the nice areas in the city. And yes, promote walkability and urban developments. It saves gas and in turn cuts down on air pollution.

A little off the subject but i work for the City of Houston and the Mayor just announced that he's going to select some of us to start working from home. He's also encouraging car-pooling more and more each day which is apart of his Clean Air Improvement Act. If you look at it more from that aspect, you start to see that having more of this Atlantic Station type of development inside the city could do more good than harm.

But Houston is so diverse and cheap. It's a place for business...nothing more and nothing less and we as Houstonians are fine with that. Nothing else should matter. Besides, what are you trying to do, turn Houston into New York City? But don't worry, all of the stuff other cities have built, and are in the process of building, Houston will start in about 10 years and will do it a heck of a lot cheaper by excluding creativity in the design, so be patient. It takes time to plan things after everyone else has done it. Just let Houston be Houston and not worry about what other cities are doing. :rolleyes:;)

And one last thing, look at how many sports arenas Houston built within a 5 year period. There, top that. If that doesn't prove Houston is the 4th largest city in the country, nothing will.

Archived