Could H & M Be Coming To The South?

Could H&M Be the answer to the recent retail space vacancies in Houston? I think it would be great to go in the soon to be closed Mervin's in Town & Country.

From the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...05/16bizhm.html

Missing link to fashion

So far, Atlanta hasn't landed H&M

By CHRISTINE VAN DUSEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/16/05

Minneapolis

Edited by citykid09

It is true that we are not seen as sophisticated as the NE or Chicago, hence no H&M. I have shopped at H&M in probably 10 different countries, and love their clothes. In many European cities, it is common to have two different H&Ms within a couple blocks of each other--each smaller stores that specialize in different style (trendy in one store, for example, and more sophisticated in the other). For men, they actually have a nice line of dressier shirts and ties.

I believe their US stores aren't making as much money as they would like--the model depends on very high volume, so they might not be looking to expand as aggresively as they once did. With that said, they WOULD do well here, but I for one hope they don't come because then I would see my shirts on every other guy in the city!

With that said, they WOULD do well here, but I for one hope they don't come because then I would see my shirts on every other guy in the city!

Ah, travelguy-such a fashionista! But I get where you're coming from-I was glad Barneys left so now I can wear my B-shirts without every other fashonista wanna be hanging them on their backs.

B)

I thought someone had said already that H&M was supposedly going to be in the Pavilions. Still, if it comes great, if not, ok too. Been to them in DC and NY, its basically a more stylish version of Old Navy. I've never seen one big enough to fill a department store spot in a mall, plus I've only seen a few that are actually in a mall, most I've seen have been street level stores. Either way, whatever.

Ah, travelguy-such a fashionista! But I get where you're coming from-I was glad Barneys left so now I can wear my B-shirts without every other fashonista wanna be hanging them on their backs.

B)

Barneys? There coming back to Houston:

Barneys New York Announces the Scheduled Opening of Barneys New York CO-OP Stores in the Houston Galleria I and

(Via PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance)

Barneys New York , a wholly-owned subsidiary of Jones Apparel Group, Inc. , announced today the scheduled opening in Spring 2006 of Barneys New York CO-OP stores at the Houston Galleria I and at 3040 M Street, N.W. in Georgetown, Washington, DC.

Filed under: Everything, Givenchy

I thought someone had said already that H&M was supposedly going to be in the Pavilions. Still, if it comes great, if not, ok too. Been to them in DC and NY, its basically a more stylish version of Old Navy. I've never seen one big enough to fill a department store spot in a mall, plus I've only seen a few that are actually in a mall, most I've seen have been street level stores. Either way, whatever.

I believe their smaller stores are similar in size to a flagship Gap. Don't know what that translates into from a square footage standpoint. Their Chicago stores are pretty big, though not on the same level as a department store (nor should they be since they only sell their brand).

I guess I could agree that they were a more stylish Old Navy. In my mind they are head and shoulders above most discount fashion stores in that they offer expanded sizes. S to XL, Fitted (tight) to Slim (athletic) to Regular (standard) fit. And they actually fit--a medium slim-fit is really a medium slim-fit (something very few other US stores can claim)! We aren't all into the baggy scene!

• 8 months later...
I *heard* from someone at Nordstrom's that a "small" H&M is going to go in in the nest of shops in the old Lord & Taylor.

I'm excited! :)

That would be great. I shop there everytime I visit my brother in DC.

I feel like the model would do well here. After all, Houston has the largest Ikea in the states and Ikea is just the home version of H&M. ^_^

With chart-topping hip-hop thumping in the background, you'll coo over a Victorian-style blouse with delicate lace for $24.90, a pair of trendy men's trousers for $39.90, a chunky green bead bracelet for $4.90, a slate-blue velveteen pencil skirt for $34.90.

My wife would proudly admit that she can beat those deals at TJ Maxx with both credit cards tied behind her back! :P

My wife would proudly admit that she can beat those deals at TJ Maxx with both credit cards tied behind her back! :P

Ahhh, but could she beat them consistently? That's the big difference, in my mind, between such places as TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Filene's Basement. They rely on suppliers/buyers to find them products to sell, so one day you get a shipment of great stuff at bargain prices. But unless you are a regular shopper (or wear L and above) it is total hit-and-miss. However, when you do it all in-house, you have better control of the inventory (in theory at least).

I wouldn't be surprised if H&M showed up in the Galleria. The reason I hate going to the Galleria is the main reason they would do well--they need crowds of shoppers to spread their gospel of low prices and high fashion. IMO, their initial foray into a new market MUST be in an established, highly-regarded shopping district (Galleria, maybe Rice or Highland Village). Most people here have no idea who they are, and if they just showed up one day in Town and Country (like uber-hip Bo Concept tried and failed) or downtown, they wouldn't be as successful in building their brand here. They will also fail if they don't have a store large enough to display their entire line-up (those small European-sized stores make sense when you can only carve out a few thousand square feet on a crowded street, but wouldn't translate well here).

Ahhh, but could she beat them consistently? That's the big difference, in my mind, between such places as TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Filene's Basement. They rely on suppliers/buyers to find them products to sell, so one day you get a shipment of great stuff at bargain prices. But unless you are a regular shopper (or wear L and above) it is total hit-and-miss.

I was thinking the same thing. I went to Super Marshall's last night and ended up empty handed. As my husband exclaimed when I walked in the door "Unheard of!!" ^_^

I was thinking the same thing. I went to Super Marshall's last night and ended up empty handed. As my husband exclaimed when I walked in the door "Unheard of!!" ^_^

Maybe my wife can't get good clothes at a great price consistently, but how often does she really need new clothes? It's not like she wears out a pair of pants, shirt, dress or suit every month!

Heights Yankee's post is EXACTLY why we don't need an H&M in H-Town! :D

Besides, ladies, wouldn't the H&M take away the thrill of finding a great deal?!? Isn't that the REAL reason you like to shop? I think my wife, her sister, and her friends are in a huge, lifelong competition to outdo each other on bargain clothing...

Wife: "I like your shoes!"

Sister-in-law: "$16.00 at Target! That's a cute top..."

Wife: "$6.00 on clearance at TJ Maxx!"

[Wife wins, sister-in-law grits her teeth and is determined to find a better deal before they meet again]

Maybe my wife can't get good clothes at a great price consistently, but how often does she really need new clothes? It's not like she wears out a pair of pants, shirt, dress or suit every month!

Ummm.... wearing out? Like that has anything to do with it. :rolleyes:

I am still laughing at Bo Concept going in to Town and Country as their first forray into the Houston marker.

Uh, who did their research?

Uber hip, minimalist contemporary and the Memorial Villages don't exactly go hand-in-hand.

H & M's first store in Boston was in Downtown Crossing, an outdoor pedestrian mall that has seen better days. Gives me some slight hope they'll announce in the Houston Pavilions. Their second store opens this month in a building that fronts both classic and trendy Newbury with the more button-downed Boylston St on the other side.

I am still laughing at Bo Concept going in to Town and Country as their first forray into the Houston marker.

Uh, who did their research?

Uber hip, minimalist contemporary and the Memorial Villages don't exactly go hand-in-hand.

I think I might be the only one in Houston with a sofa, chair, and lounge from them. :blush:

H & M's first store in Boston was in Downtown Crossing, an outdoor pedestrian mall that has seen better days. Gives me some slight hope they'll announce in the Houston Pavilions. Their second store opens this month in a building that fronts both classic and trendy Newbury with the more button-downed Boylston St on the other side.

I admit to not knowing much about Boston, but it's a pretty walkable city, correct? Did Downtown Crossing (at the time) get a lot of foot traffic that guaranteed H&M's success, or did they depend on suburban people coming in and parking in some big nearby garage? What size is the store itself?

Downtown Crossing gets plenty of walking traffic. Boston is so small and well connected by multiple transit options so Downtown Crossing is easily accesable.

That said, it was a dump when I first moved here. Dirty doesn't even begin to describe that area. Lots of vacancies. Dead at night. No real residential base to speak of. But, along came the Millenium Towers project (they built a Ritz Carlton hotel, two residential towers, retail, and a huge loews theater in what was the combat zone), H & M, and a few others and now the area is booming. A second major residential hi-rise opens later this summer, another just broke ground, and rumor has it that the W is looking to build on a surface lot (one of the few) right at the entrance of Downtown Crossing. Now, it has the daytime office population, the born again shopping district, and a growing residential base.

I doubt H & M would try the Pavilions first, but if there's any large-scale store to do it, it would be them. Once word gets out, H & M would become a total destination store. Young women would FLOCK there and the men would follow...

That said, it was a dump when I first moved here. Dirty doesn't even begin to describe that area. Lots of vacancies. Dead at night. No real residential base to speak of. But, along came the Millenium Towers project (they built a Ritz Carlton hotel, two residential towers, retail, and a huge loews theater in what was the combat zone),

I took many weekend trips to volunteer down there when I was in college. The Combat Zone- it made Westheimer at Montrose look like Westheimer at Kirby. It was nasty. I worked at a men's shelter many weekends and it opened my eyes to a very ugly side of life. I'm glad to see that part of a great city developed and doing well.

As far as H&M, "flock" is an understatement. I work in a company of 25 women and 3 men. I think our office would probably close for opening day.

Edited by heights_yankee

• 1 year later...