Energy Corridor Real Estate

gcwf

I try to avoid self-imposed hardships.

And this commute is one.

Hey, I've suggested moving back but he likes his home up here and many of his clients live in the Woodlands/Spring area. Another bonus for him is that he can take unlimited guests golfing during the month up here for business, while our club in town limits that. But he said yesterday that he is also considering moving everything back to downtown again, which makes it an easy commute via car or the Express. And we do plan to return to central Houston in about 8 years. The original move from Downtown to Kirkwood was due to the fact most of the employees lived out in Katy or up 290, so he does take into consideration his employees needs over his own often.

Besides, when we used to live right off Woodway, his commute was getting up to 35 minutes with construction. He claims he'd rather be moving during that time than parked on I-10. Its his choice to make the drive and if he's had enough before the kids are done with school, we'll move back.

• 2 months later...
established neighborhoods, great schools, community feeling and not to mention over $1 trillion in market cap of the companies which call this lovely area home

anyone else agree that this is one of the best areas of houston?

Sure, for the moment. It's also the most volatile.

When energy goes bust again, it has enough aging apartment complexes that the area might degenerate into a considerably less desireable area. That's one reason that I'd put my money (and literally have) on the area immediately surrounding the TMC. Healthcare doesn't have recessions.

I dont know if energy is a volatile market anymore. I mean it was in the 80s but I highly doubt the Saudi's have a huge supply of oil that theyre just willing to flush onto the market as it was back then.

Oil prices will continue to rise despite best efforts to curb anything, but what apartments are you talking about in the corridor?

there are exp ones off eldridge and memorial dr. there a few like those next to Village School and some next to St John Vianney that are questionable but for the most part they are nice to extremely nice.

briar forest and wilcrest/kirkwood area is not located in the energy corridor. if you were talking those, that is westchase. but no, those do suck it up royally

the worst we get in the energy corridor is either off tully or the nottingham townhome/apartment complex on memorial across from the krogers.

...but TMC and the energy sector go hand in hand at most times. you havent seen as large a buildup of the TMC since this recent boom of the energy sector. they were new dept added because of the bio-tech industry but the recent donations and funds are coming from a high tax basis for older homes and new contruction and from donations of large patrons.

it of course comes from more but a good portion is from the last two.

I would buy in the corridor or in northwest houston.

I dont know if energy is a volatile market anymore. I mean it was in the 80s but I highly doubt the Saudi's have a huge supply of oil that theyre just willing to flush onto the market as it was back then.

Oil prices will continue to rise despite best efforts to curb anything, but what apartments are you talking about in the corridor?

there are exp ones off eldridge and memorial dr. there a few like those next to Village School and some next to St John Vianney that are questionable but for the most part they are nice to extremely nice.

briar forest and wilcrest/kirkwood area is not located in the energy corridor. if you were talking those, that is westchase. but no, those do suck it up royally

the worst we get in the energy corridor is either off tully or the nottingham townhome/apartment complex on memorial across from the krogers.

...but TMC and the energy sector go hand in hand at most times. you havent seen as large a buildup of the TMC since this recent boom of the energy sector. they were new dept added because of the bio-tech industry but the recent donations and funds are coming from a high tax basis for older homes and new contruction and from donations of large patrons.

it of course comes from more but a good portion is from the last two.

I would buy in the corridor or in northwest houston.

Although not located within the Energy Corridor's proper boundaries, I think that the ones along Briar Forest and near Kirkwood may have some adverse impacts. In addition, as you mentioned, there are some along and just east of Tulley.

The energy sector has several problems working against its employment base. They are 1) globalization/outsourcing, 2) rapidly-increasing marginal productivity of labor so that more work can now be done with many fewer people, and 3) that it takes a lot of labor to expand production capacity and much less labor to maintain it. The latter point is particularly important because we've already greatly expanded capacity, but if prices fall at an unexpected rate, then it is very easy to get to the point below which no new capacity needs to be added, or even the point at which existing capacity would best be abandoned. And it is critical to understand that the fundamentals of upstream energy are actually very solid. There is neither a shortage of capacity or inventories or a glut of unforseen demand...even the growth within developing nations can be sustained for the forseeable future. What keeps prices high, more or less, is political uncertainty. So if good news comes out of Iran, prices may drop, forcing the rapid cancellation of all new unhedged upstream projects. It wouldn't be pretty.

The healthcare boom preceeded the impact of the oil boom and was caused primarily by low costs of capital and demographic shifts in their favor. Healthcare has grown as an industry throughout the U.S., and Houston is not alone in having seen major growth. For that reason, I doubt that it is linked to the energy industry in a direct and measurable way.

i think the projections for growth in and around TMC are very positive and long term. the increasing age of the baby boomer generation, the increased amount of investment in research and the continued specialization of practitioners will ensure growth in the fields of medicine and research for the foreseeable future. IMHO.

energy will always be volatile due to political, environmental and market issues. again, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Out there it seems to become more of a 'burb environment than a city environment you'll find closer in. I'm not a 'burb fan, so no, I don't think that area is one of the best.

• 3 weeks later...

I live out here. If you like the outdoors you have Bear Creek Park, George Bush Park, The Terry Hershey Trail, and even the Millie Bush Park for dogs. If you take the area from Kirkwood to 6 and Westheimer to 10, it's s packed with people, schools, restaurants, businesses, etc. I can understand if someone prefers to live inside the loop, but the west side is very crowded and bustling in its own right

You forgot the Cullen Park trail and the new Bear Creek dog park. I was thinking bout moving back into town, tired of the drive to work, but I know I would then be driving out here every weekend. Nothing in town I want to do.

• 1 year later...

I have a 3600 sf home in Fleetwood. I am planning to redo the floors and Master Bath. Also considering adding 150 sf to Master Bath and 150 sf to breakfast/kitchen area.

Comments or advice on the following plans are welcome

1. Replacing ground floor carpet and tile in FR, Kitchen etc with a solid bamboo product. Consumer Reports rates the Teregren product as tougher than oak when items are dropped on it as well as appropriate for Kitchen areas. Any concerns with this product overall and in kitchen specifically?

2. Replacing carpet in Master Bath with tile, as well as rebuilding step down Roman tub/shower to replace terrazo tile with hardibacker and tile over it. Wife likes a neutral look so replacing counter with a neutral creamy marble. Any comments on this design?

I have a couple of contractors in mind but ideas are welcome for someone who does high quality work at a fair price in this end of town.

3. Considering adding 300 sf between the Breakfast and MasterBath/closet areas. Any recommendations on contractors for my area who can handle an add on including providing drawings of the new construction for POA and (city if needed) review and approvals?

Thanks. New to the forum but love it.

• The title was changed to Sugar Land Or Energy Corridor?
  • The title was changed to Energy Corridor Real Estate

Archived