Energy Corridor Real Estate

gcwf

Hi,

We recently moved to Houston and are currently renting in The Woodlands while we try to decide where to buy. We are having real trouble narrowing our search down to one neighborhood, so I am hoping that getting a few opinions here might help us... :-)

We have a young family and noise and crime averse (By that I mean that even things like loud music from passing cars at night or getting a bicycle stolen from the garage would drive us completely crazy. I know these things happen anywhere but we would rather lessen the risk). We want a large single family house with a yard of some sort. We would prefer to live in a close in neighborhood because we are city people despite the above - but we are priced out of the hugely gentrified kind of places we probably would feel comfortable in like (from a position of complete ignorance) Bellaire.

The Woodlands probably would be more or less OK as a compromise except for 1) It is just too much of a commute into Houston. It is taking up to 1 1/2 hours at peak times into Downtown right now. 2) It is very very white.

Our budget is about 240K and we do want 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, garage. At the moment I am looking at 2 areas:

1) Sugar Land which is closer in than The Woodlands and seems more ethnically mixed. But it is still a long commute and very suburban. Does anyone have an opinion on which way property prices will go here in the next 5-10 years? The big plus for this one is that it looks like we would be closer to the "worst house in the best area" ideal scenario.

2) Which brings us to the other area we have been looking at, around the 77077 postcode just South of the I-10 west which I know has a large European population. Not as "pretty" but we like the fact that it feels much more a part of the city, although I am not sure about the commute at rush hour... We would be looking at a 70s house if we bought in this area. Worries: what is the build quality likely to be on this kind of house? Also from what I have seen the price range of older houses such as we could afford in this area would put us nearer the top of the market. I am not necessarily interested in making a profit on this house but I would prefer not to have to sell it later at a loss.

3) Any ideas on other neighborhoods?

Apologies for the novel. Hope you all have lots to say on this one ;)

Hi,

We recently moved to Houston and are currently renting in The Woodlands while we try to decide where to buy. We are having real trouble narrowing our search down to one neighborhood, so I am hoping that getting a few opinions here might help us... :-)

We have a young family and noise and crime averse (By that I mean that even things like loud music from passing cars at night or getting a bicycle stolen from the garage would drive us completely crazy. I know these things happen anywhere but we would rather lessen the risk). We want a large single family house with a yard of some sort. We would prefer to live in a close in neighborhood because we are city people despite the above - but we are priced out of the hugely gentrified kind of places we probably would feel comfortable in like (from a position of complete ignorance) Bellaire.

The Woodlands probably would be more or less OK as a compromise except for 1) It is just too much of a commute into Houston. It is taking up to 1 1/2 hours at peak times into Downtown right now. 2) It is very very white.

Our budget is about 240K and we do want 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, garage. At the moment I am looking at 2 areas:

1) Sugar Land which is closer in than The Woodlands and seems more ethnically mixed. But it is still a long commute and very suburban. Does anyone have an opinion on which way property prices will go here in the next 5-10 years? The big plus for this one is that it looks like we would be closer to the "worst house in the best area" ideal scenario.

2) Which brings us to the other area we have been looking at, around the 77077 postcode just South of the I-10 west which I know has a large European population. Not as "pretty" but we like the fact that it feels much more a part of the city, although I am not sure about the commute at rush hour... We would be looking at a 70s house if we bought in this area. Worries: what is the build quality likely to be on this kind of house? Also from what I have seen the price range of older houses such as we could afford in this area would put us nearer the top of the market. I am not necessarily interested in making a profit on this house but I would prefer not to have to sell it later at a loss.

3) Any ideas on other neighborhoods?

Apologies for the novel. Hope you all have lots to say on this one ;)

Depending on which part of town you work, have you tried looking at Pearland and Sugarland as well? The Shadowcreek development in Pearland is on par with those in Katy and commute to downtown usually takes 30 - 45 minutes depending on location and time. Sugarland has a dozen or so developemnt that fit your price range and the commute is about the same as Shadowcreek to get to downtown. Less if you work in the Galleria area. Both these area are still relative close to the city and without traffic would usally take about 15 minutes. All the area mentioned including Katy have master planned communites that are growing and seem to have rising property value.

You are able to get some housing closer-in that is zoned to good schools. Lemme run a search for my neighborhood for 240K.

EDIT: Yes, you are able to afford several properties! If you will work in downtown Houston, you ought to buy a house in the Bellaire/Braeswood Place/West University Area. You may even get a four bedroom/two bathroom house. Bellaire, West U, and Braeswood Place (north of the Braes Bayou) are zoned to some of Houston's best public schools. In addition, the area just got a brand new YMCA. Braeswood Place's elementary (Mark Twain) and the local middle school (Pershing) are being rebuilt.

In this area, while the houses you can afford aren't as large as in the burbs, you have the good schools, the low, low crime rates, and all of the amenities found in the suburbs. Plus you have a very short commute and you are close to all of the nice areas of Houston.

Here are some properties. The houses within your budget were built in the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's and are usually one story. They may not exactly match your bed and bath requirements, but they should be reasonably close. Also, I did not list houses that are zoned to schools that do not have good reputations. I also did not list any houses without garages.

1. 5222 CHESTNUT (Bellaire) - 239K - 3 Bedroom, 1 Bath, 2 car Garage

Schools: Condit ES, Pershing MS, Bellaire HS

2. 4307 IONE ST (Bellaire) - 219.9K - 2 Bedroom, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

Schools: Horn ES, Pershing MS, Bellaire HS

3. 1217 MULBERRY ST (Bellaire) - 217.5K - Bed, bath, and Garage unspecified

4. 4628 MIMOSA DR (Bellaire) - 216K - 3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1 car Garage

5. 6518 COMMUNITY (West University Place) - 215K - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

Schools: West University ES, Pershing MS, Lamar HS

6. 5234 BEECHNUT ST (Houston) - 214K - 4 Bed, 2 Bath, 2 car Garage

Schools: Lovett ES, Pershing MS, Bellaire HS

7. 6008 COMMUNITY DR (West University Place) - 200K - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

8. 803 JAQUET DR (Bellaire) - 199.9K - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

9. 5130 BEECHNUT (Houston) - 190K - 3 Bed, 2 Bath, 2 car Garage

10. 4302 JANE (Bellaire) - 189.8K - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

11. 4308 Lafayette (Bellaire) - 195K - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

12. 4309 Lafayette (Bellaire) - 185K - 3 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

13. 4305 VALERIE (Bellaire) - 184.9K - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

14. 4301 OLEANDER (Bellaire) - 179K - 3 Bed, 1 Bath, 2 car Garage

If you need more room after you move into the house, you can make an addition to the house. My house was originally a three-bedroom, one-bathroom, one shower, two-car garage house. An addition added a bedroom and a bathroom.

Thanks all for the range of replies! We are gonna have a lot to think about!

Depending on which part of town you work, have you tried looking at Pearland and Sugarland as well? The Shadowcreek development in Pearland is on par with those in Katy and commute to downtown usually takes 30 - 45 minutes depending on location and time. Sugarland has a dozen or so developemnt that fit your price range and the commute is about the same as Shadowcreek to get to downtown. Less if you work in the Galleria area. Both these area are still relative close to the city and without traffic would usally take about 15 minutes. All the area mentioned including Katy have master planned communites that are growing and seem to have rising property value.

Yes, this was one reason for considering Sugar Land - large houses, ready to move into and in our price range. We decided against Pearland as if we live outside the city we would want it to be a little ethnically diverse - maybe it is but I don't get that impression.

My suggestion is Nottingham subdivision in the 77450 zip code. It is Katy, good schools, quite neighborhood. Defiantely in your price range. I can vouch for it, it's where I live. Go to www.har.com , and check it out.
Good public schools a necessity or is sending the kids to private school an option?

Thanks, I will take a closer look. I have heard the Katy schools are good. Sending the kids to private school *may* be an option if pushed but we would rather fair to excellent local public schools. Also we have 2 almost 3 kids and may have more - which suddenly makes private schooling very expensive.

You are able to get some housing closer-in that is zoned to good schools. Lemme run a search for my neighborhood for 240K.

EDIT: Yes, you are able to afford several properties! If you will work in downtown Houston, you ought to buy a house in the Bellaire/Braeswood Place/West University Area. You may even get a four bedroom/two bathroom house. Bellaire, West U, and Braeswood Place (north of the Braes Bayou) are zoned to some of Houston's best public schools. In addition, the area just got a brand new YMCA. Braeswood Place's elementary (Mark Twain) and the local middle school (Pershing) are being rebuilt.

In this area, while the houses you can afford aren't as large as in the burbs, you have the good schools, the low, low crime rates, and all of the amenities found in the suburbs. Plus you have a very short commute and you are close to all of the nice areas of Houston.

Here are some properties. The houses within your budget were built in the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's and are usually one story. They may not exactly match your bed and bath requirements, but they should be reasonably close. Also, I did not list houses that are zoned to schools that do not have good reputations. I also did not list any houses without garages.

1. 5222 CHESTNUT (Bellaire) - 239K - 3 Bedroom, 1 Bath, 2 car Garage

2. 4307 IONE ST (Bellaire) - 219.9K - 2 Bedroom, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

3. 1217 MULBERRY ST (Bellaire) - 217.5K - Bed, bath, and Garage unspecified

4. 4628 MIMOSA DR (Bellaire) - 216K - 3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1 car Garage

5. 6518 COMMUNITY (West University Place) - 215K - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

6. 5234 BEECHNUT ST (Houston) - 214K - 4 Bed, 2 Bath, 2 car Garage

7. 6008 COMMUNITY DR (West University Place) - 200K - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

8. 803 JAQUET DR (Bellaire) - 199.9K - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

9. 5130 BEECHNUT (Houston) - 190K - 3 Bed, 2 Bath, 2 car Garage

10. 4302 JANE (Bellaire) - 189.8K - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

11. 4308 Lafayette (Bellaire) - 195K - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

12. 4309 Lafayette (Bellaire) - 185K - 3 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

13. 4305 VALERIE (Bellaire) - 184.9K - 2 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 car Garage

14. 4301 OLEANDER (Bellaire) - 179K - 3 Bed, 1 Bath, 2 car Garage

If you need more room after you move into the house, you can make an addition to the house. My house was originally a three-bedroom, one-bathroom, one shower, two-car garage house. An addition added a bedroom and a bathroom.

Thanks so much for looking those up. That reopens the debate we thought we had settled - do we look for a house that may need work and adding onto but is in the right area? We have nothing against old houses, actually we would prefer something we can "personalise" and I hadn't realised that there was anything in these areas we could afford. We have just talked about it and are enthusiastic about taking another look.

A couple you listed look like teardowns - I assume this means McMansions will go up in their place and raise the house prices in the area?

Thanks again for the great replies!

"A couple you listed look like teardowns - I assume this means McMansions will go up in their place and raise the house prices in the area?"

A lot of times that is what happens to the older one story houses in Bellaire, Braes Heights, and West University. This is starting to happen in Meyerland and Linkwood/Knollwood too.

This doesn't always happen, though. If you buy the house, you will be the master of the house's destiny. :)

Since you already live in the Woodlands, have you considered coming in to FM 1960 as an option? It would at least cut a good portion off of the commute. Personally I would want to be closer in, but a 4 bedroom, good schools, & your other criteria are going to be hard to fulfill in a close in place in that price range. The stretch of 1960 from 45 to Veterans is certainly more diverse than Woodlands I think, and you can meet all the other criteria more or less with the exception of having a more urban location. That is not, however, something you would get in either Sugarland or the energy corridor either. Check Oak Creek, Waterford Park, Olde Oaks, Ponderosa & Westador. Prices are good, but don't expect much on appreciation. It is pretty stagnant in that department.

Well, as for the 4 bedroom, good schools thing, the only part of the criteria that isn't filled in with the options in Bellaire, West University, and Meyerland is the four bedroom criteria. An addition could be installed at any of those houses, though I don't know how much an addition costs.

Since you already live in the Woodlands, have you considered coming in to FM 1960 as an option? It would at least cut a good portion off of the commute. Personally I would want to be closer in, but a 4 bedroom, good schools, & your other criteria are going to be hard to fulfill in a close in place in that price range. The stretch of 1960 from 45 to Veterans is certainly more diverse than Woodlands I think, and you can meet all the other criteria more or less with the exception of having a more urban location. That is not, however, something you would get in either Sugarland or the energy corridor either. Check Oak Creek, Waterford Park, Olde Oaks, Ponderosa & Westador. Prices are good, but don't expect much on appreciation. It is pretty stagnant in that department.

Thanks for the suggestion. This thread has really helped to clarify for us what it is we really want.

In the light of all the above responses we have been discussing this (a lot!) and we have decided in truth the main problem right now is the commute. We want to be closer in, even if it means sacrificing space. So I think we have pretty much ruled out Sugar Land as well as FM1960 area on that basis.

We are quite happy to make some improvements to an older house as long as the neighborhood more or less meets the peace and security criteria and isn't likely to depreciate in the medium term. Bellaire looks a possibility and I am open to suggestions of any other neighborhoods. I am still wondering about the suburbs outside the loop towards Katy, for example Memorial, can anybody give me a rundown on these areas and would the commute be really bad from here?

"A couple you listed look like teardowns - I assume this means McMansions will go up in their place and raise the house prices in the area?"

A lot of times that is what happens to the older one story houses in Bellaire, Braes Heights, and West University. This is starting to happen in Meyerland and Linkwood/Knollwood too.

This doesn't always happen, though. If you buy the house, you will be the master of the house's destiny. :)

just remember though...you will probably be living next to or in between two "too-large-for-their-lots" type homes that you will have lovely views of :rolleyes:

Take a look in Timbergrove Manor... inside the loop in the NW corner... a lot of development happening in the area with excellent potential for continued increases in valuation...

the neighborhood is a very quiet and family oriented place with an active civic association that protects everyone's interest.... the only downfall are the schools you are zoned to, but being HISD the kids are free to go to the other schools... the neighborhood was built in the 50's and 60's and the majority of the homes are very well cared for... there is very little in the way of teardowns and McMansions, instead people have opted to remodel the homes and update them...

oh yeah.. let me add that you won't find many 4 bedrooms in this area, and the ones that are that big are really expensive.... 3 bed 2 baths 2 car garage will be about 1700-1900 sq ft and cost $200-$250k depending upon level of updating... you can find some nicely updated homes for around $275-300k....

building an addition isn't that expensive if you can get a handle on the costs by being your own GC or hiring one that isn't going to gouge you... we added 230 sq ft on the back of our house to have a full master bath and giant closet and I was my own GC.... you could possibly get away with some minor reconfirguring of the interior of a home to obtain the 4 bedrooms... it all depends on the floorplan... our house was originally 3 bed 2 bath and 1860 sq ft, now it is 3/2 with a study and 2090 sq ft with the large master bath...

Timbergrove is zoned to Sinclair Elementary School, Black Middle School, and Waltrip High School. I don't think these three are considered to be as good as the schools in Bellaire and West University. Houston ISD allows open enrollment as long as the parent provides transportation (however magnet programs give transportation).

Take a look in Timbergrove Manor... inside the loop in the NW corner... a lot of development happening in the area with excellent potential for continued increases in valuation...

the neighborhood is a very quiet and family oriented place with an active civic association that protects everyone's interest.... the only downfall are the schools you are zoned to, but being HISD the kids are free to go to the other schools... the neighborhood was built in the 50's and 60's and the majority of the homes are very well cared for... there is very little in the way of teardowns and McMansions, instead people have opted to remodel the homes and update them...

oh yeah.. let me add that you won't find many 4 bedrooms in this area, and the ones that are that big are really expensive.... 3 bed 2 baths 2 car garage will be about 1700-1900 sq ft and cost $200-$250k depending upon level of updating... you can find some nicely updated homes for around $275-300k....

building an addition isn't that expensive if you can get a handle on the costs by being your own GC or hiring one that isn't going to gouge you... we added 230 sq ft on the back of our house to have a full master bath and giant closet and I was my own GC.... you could possibly get away with some minor reconfirguring of the interior of a home to obtain the 4 bedrooms... it all depends on the floorplan... our house was originally 3 bed 2 bath and 1860 sq ft, now it is 3/2 with a study and 2090 sq ft with the large master bath...

I know you've already decided against Sugarland, however don't forget that if you are looking to buy and are concerned about the commute, know that Sugarland is first in line to get commuter rail in a few years, if that is something you may be interested in in the future.

I know you've already decided against Sugarland, however don't forget that if you are looking to buy and are concerned about the commute, know that Sugarland is first in line to get commuter rail in a few years, if that is something you may be interested in in the future.

As far as I know he decided against Pearland, not Sugar Land.

As far as I know he decided against Pearland, not Sugar Land.
So I think we have pretty much ruled out Sugar Land as well as FM1960 area on that basis.

Also what part of town do you commute to? Sorry if you mentioned this, but I skimmed your posts and don't think you mentioned it.

There are houses in the Spring Branch area within your budget. Shall I list them?

Thanks for the suggestion. This thread has really helped to clarify for us what it is we really want.

In the light of all the above responses we have been discussing this (a lot!) and we have decided in truth the main problem right now is the commute. We want to be closer in, even if it means sacrificing space. So I think we have pretty much ruled out Sugar Land as well as FM1960 area on that basis.

We are quite happy to make some improvements to an older house as long as the neighborhood more or less meets the peace and security criteria and isn't likely to depreciate in the medium term. Bellaire looks a possibility and I am open to suggestions of any other neighborhoods. I am still wondering about the suburbs outside the loop towards Katy, for example Memorial, can anybody give me a rundown on these areas and would the commute be really bad from here?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been out of town for a few days so will have to get on HAR and check out those neighborhoods. And maybe think about Sugar Land again :-) although I think even with rail the commute will be an issue.

Great forum, thanks again for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...

So if I wrote that I liked my current neighborhood, but will be moving because of the long commute and it is very very black, would you consider me a bigot?

Not trying to jump down your throat, you seem nice (and my point is really directed at the board in general), but the double-standards are sometimes quite amazing.

So if I wrote that I liked my current neighborhood, but will be moving because of the long commute and it is very very black, would you consider me a bigot?

Not trying to jump down your throat, you seem nice (and my point is really directed at the board in general), but the double-standards are sometimes quite amazing.

Well, based on the guy's (gal's?) previous statement: "We decided against Pearland as if we live outside the city we would want it to be a little ethnically diverse - maybe it is but I don't get that impression."

...it looks to me like they're not interested in any place that's "too" white or "too" black. Diversity, not homogeny. They didn't say there's anything wrong with white folks (or black folks)...just that they're looking for diversity.

I had said something about this, and then my post got deleted.. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
My suggestion is Nottingham subdivision in the 77450 zip code. It is Katy, good schools, quite neighborhood. Defiantely in your price range. I can vouch for it, it's where I live. Go to www.har.com , and check it out.

Don't forget to factor in the HIGH taxes in the city!

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know what sort of commute time one would expect from The Woodlands to I-10 & Eldridge? We currently live in Seven Meadows (master planned community in Cinco Ranch area), but as nice as it is I am still very interested in The Woodlands. I am concerned about my husband's commute however. Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thank you!

I-10 Eldridge, eh?

I have a friend that lives in Spring Cypress/Grant Rd Area and works at I-10 @ Eldridge and HIS commute is approx 30 minutes, but he leaves at 6am to get there at 7am, and IF the traffic is okay it takes him an hour to get home.

His route is from I-10 to BW8 to 290. BW8 is generally clogged at 5pm and from my personal experience, BW8 is clogged from I-10 (before that, actually) to I-45. To be honest, it's not going to be a pleasant commute.

Also remember, they're doing to Demolish the I-10/BW8 onramps in the next year.

Does anyone know what sort of commute time one would expect from The Woodlands to I-10 & Eldridge? We currently live in Seven Meadows (master planned community in Cinco Ranch area), but as nice as it is I am still very interested in The Woodlands. I am concerned about my husband's commute however. Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thank you!

We currently live in Sterling Ridge (Back/Western Part of the Woodlands) and my husband works at I-10 and Kirkwood. He takes the 249 to Beltway route and on average it takes 50-60 minutes, leaving at 6:30am at the latest. HOWEVER, there have been occasions where its taken 1 1/2- 2 hours to get home. Trains have made him turn around and just work from home some days. Wrecks and trains are problems. It will only get worse as this area becomes more populated. The completion of 249 all the way north (whenever that will be) will stop the train problem, but more subdivisions will just back up that new road also. He claims not to mind at this point, but has said if he gets any worse he will move his offices up here despite the fact this will not make any of the employees very happy.

I feel the schools are some of the best in the state, not to mention the sports. However, as adults its very far from Houston, the core of the energy business, and the real world.

PS, research the taxes, services and associations fees, and what you get or don't get for those fees, before you leap.

"Also remember, they're doing to Demolish the I-10/BW8 onramps in the next year."

Ricco, is this true? I think I see the the new footings for the new ramps already for that intersection. If what you say is true, then where will be the Beltway access from I-10, because that is a major commuting intersection?

We currently live in Sterling Ridge (Back/Western Part of the Woodlands) and my husband works at I-10 and Kirkwood. He takes the 249 to Beltway route and on average it takes 50-60 minutes, leaving at 6:30am at the latest. HOWEVER, there have been occasions where its taken 1 1/2- 2 hours to get home. Trains have made him turn around and just work from home some days. Wrecks and trains are problems. It will only get worse as this area becomes more populated. The completion of 249 all the way north (whenever that will be) will stop the train problem, but more subdivisions will just back up that new road also. He claims not to mind at this point, but has said if he gets any worse he will move his offices up here despite the fact this will not make any of the employees very happy.

I feel the schools are some of the best in the state, not to mention the sports. However, as adults its very far from Houston, the core of the energy business, and the real world.

PS, research the taxes, services and associations fees, and what you get or don't get for those fees, before you leap.

"Also remember, they're doing to Demolish the I-10/BW8 onramps in the next year."

Ricco, is this true? I think I see the the new footings for the new ramps already for that intersection. If what you say is true, then where will be the Beltway access from I-10, because that is a major commuting intersection?

Thanks for the information!

My husband would leave at 6 AM so I think the commute in would probably be manageable. The commute home would probably be worse though, assuming he leaves in the 5:30 - 6:00 PM range. Would you say the commute home is almost always at least 1 1/2 hours or is it sometimes in the 1 - 1 1/2 range?

We would probably not make a final decision to move for a few more years (I like to plan ahead!) so I'm hoping the Beltway 8/I-10 situation would be resolved by then.

I am torn because we are happy with our community and immediate area, however, once you get outside of a roughly 4 square mile area, the area gets decidedly shabbier. Not bad or unsafe, but not as consistently "nice" as my (limited) impression of The Woodlands. Our area also lacks retail and restaurants, although there is a town centre project underway that will help with this a little. Still, I doubt the area will ever seem as well laid-out as The Woodlands and I can have a tendency to be overly particular :) .

Thanks for the information!

My husband would leave at 6 AM so I think the commute in would probably be manageable. The commute home would probably be worse though, assuming he leaves in the 5:30 - 6:00 PM range. Would you say the commute home is almost always at least 1 1/2 hours or is it sometimes in the 1 - 1 1/2 range?

We would probably not make a final decision to move for a few more years (I like to plan ahead!) so I'm hoping the Beltway 8/I-10 situation would be resolved by then.

I am torn because we are happy with our community and immediate area, however, once you get outside of a roughly 4 square mile area, the area gets decidedly shabbier. Not bad or unsafe, but not as consistently "nice" as my (limited) impression of The Woodlands. Our area also lacks retail and restaurants, although there is a town centre project underway that will help with this a little. Still, I doubt the area will ever seem as well laid-out as The Woodlands and I can have a tendency to be overly particular :) .

My husband leaves work around 4:15pm, as most of the market is closed by then. It takes him about 50-60 minutes. On the few days he leaves later he says are nightmares after 5pm and his commute extends to well over an hour. In fact, on most of those days he just stays in town and has dinner with friends and family until after 7. He's seen the commute get longer and slower in the past year.

My husband leaves work around 4:15pm, as most of the market is closed by then. It takes him about 50-60 minutes. On the few days he leaves later he says are nightmares after 5pm and his commute extends to well over an hour. In fact, on most of those days he just stays in town and has dinner with friends and family until after 7. He's seen the commute get longer and slower in the past year.

It sounds like it would likely be a 1 1/2 hour + commute for him on a daily basis. He could workout after work or work later and delay his commute home to get better traffic, but I don't know that we would like him getting home so late day after day. He knows a few people who make the Woodlands commute, but I guess this is why so many at his company live in the Cinco Ranch area. Hopefully the Katy area will continue to develop as living in the city is just a little too "big" for me and I would really like my husband not to have such a long commute. Sigh...I still really like the Woodlands :(

Yes, it is. If you look closely at the intersection at I-10 @ BW8, you will notice alot of columns that aren't connected to anything. I'm not sure of exactly when (it was posted someplace, I'm sure) the disassembly of the ramps are going to be, I DO know they will take place.

When it comes to alternative routes, you're on your own there. They're going to demolish them one section at a time so it will minimize the impact the closure will cause.

While I respect your reasoning as to WHY you don't want to move into the city, it would be my suggestion that if you just want to move to a particular subdivision because you like it, then perhaps you need to look at not only your (or rather, your husband's) life, you need to weigh the pro's and cons of that, including costs in both time and car wear and tear.

If you wish to totally move the office/company to that particular section of town, you will also have to have a far greater impact on the employees that you may not fully realize.

Perhaps you should reconsider and simply move closer to work as many people have done, since commuting is going to simply be more of a nightmare in the coming years then most people realize.

Just my two cents.

Archived