Rotating Gulf Sign On Top Of The Gulf Building At 712 Main St.

editor

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the book Houston Freeways, on Pg. 126, there's a photo of the skyline circa 1967 that appears to be taken from Allen Parkway. The sign is quite visible atop the building since a number of the tallest buildings obviously aren't there at that point.

Here's a lower-res copy of the shot from the e-book version

Hou67.jpg

As someone who still gets out to Gulf stations fairly regularly... wouldn't mind seeing one of these signs atop one of our buildings around here.

As time permits might U be able to ID some of the Bldg's to jog my youthful memory? I will await your answer B4 asking specifics.

Don't forget this ad campaign from 1961.

"We are the Men from Texaco We wear the Texaco Star We like to think at Texaco We've got everything for your car

We've got wipers for your windshield' Plugs n' Belts n'Tires, too Lubricants and Batteries and polishes for you All the things to keep your engine up to par We've got everything for your car

That's why you can trust you car to the man who wears the Star for the kind of products that can take care of you car At every Texaco Station, clean across the Nation You can trust your car to the man who wears the Star The big bright Texaco star!"

Don't forget this ad campaign from 1961.

"We are the Men from Texaco We wear the Texaco Star We like to think at Texaco We've got everything for your car

We've got wipers for your windshield' Plugs n' Belts n'Tires, too Lubricants and Batteries and polishes for you All the things to keep your engine up to par We've got everything for your car

That's why you can trust you car to the man who wears the Star for the kind of products that can take care of you car At every Texaco Station, clean across the Nation You can trust your car to the man who wears the Star The big bright Texaco star!"

I realize we are getting off-topic here with Texaco, but I bet not many here will remember

Here are some I remember....

post-2050-0-39991900-1309362437_thumb.jp

If I may B permited 2 opine. The tall Bldg. w/the big stick antenna on roof I believe is shell Plaza & the Bldg. in front of BOSW is I believe Tennesee Gas. Would U happen 2 know the names of the yellow checkerboard Bldg. behind Julia Ideson library, also Bldg. in front ot Julia Ideson library? And lastly the tall Bldg. just to the left (north) of City Hall? I believe the Bob Casey Federal courthouse is now @ that location

Thank U 4 your earlier response.

If I may B permited 2 opine. The tall Bldg. w/the big stick antenna on roof I believe is shell Plaza & the Bldg. in front of BOSW is I believe Tennesee Gas. Would U happen 2 know the names of the yellow checkerboard Bldg. behind Julia Ideson library, also Bldg. in front ot Julia Ideson library? And lastly the tall Bldg. just to the left (north) of City Hall? I believe the Bob Casey Federal courthouse is now @ that location

Thank U 4 your earlier response.

The tall building with the antenna is definitely the Tenneco Building, you can make out some of the letters, "T" and "E" on top right side of the building. This picture is from 1967, the Shell Building was built in 1971 and at the time was the tallest building in Houston at 50 stories.

Not sure about the "checker board" building....

I think the checkerboard building is the hotel near 600 Jefferson, whose name escapes me. It was closed for a number of years, then renovated and reopened.

I agree that the checkerboard building looks like the hotel near 600 Jefferson which was re-opened as the Crowne Plaza, but back in the 80s it was called the Whitehall I believe,but that hotel is seven blocks south of the Tenneco Bldg.So I dont think the yellow checkerboard building and the hotel are one in the same.

Given the angle of the photo I think the yellow checkerboard building would be in the same location as Enterprise Plaza is today.

• 9 years later...

the then HL&P Building was finished in 1968, the shadows say that this view of downtown was winter of 1969. It must have been cold that day since the flag on City Hall says a north wind is blowing and it's 12:30 in the afternoon.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2020 at 11:03 PM, Yogibooboo said:

Here are 3 photos of the rotating Gulf sign when it was being installed on the Gulf Building.   The photos were taken on May 16, 1966 by my wife's grandfather, Glenn E. Musselman, who worked for many years in the Texaco Building.

Gulf-66-05-16a.JPG

Gulf-66-05-16b.JPG

Gulf-66-05-16c.JPG

These are unbelievable pictures...  Look at the man "repelling" from the top!  The Houston Chronicle story (further above) I had never red before.   My grandfather was ZD Bonner....and the family 'legend' (if you could call it that...) is that he "had it taken down" because it cost too much to maintain and run.  I can believe it, as fabulous as it must have been as a neon sign (for it's sheer size).  Thanks so much for all the shares on this part of Houston!  I think the building itself deserves more credit :-).    Marisa Bonner

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Rotating Gulf Sign On Top Of The Gulf Building At 712 Main St.

Archived