Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

There was a One's a Meal in the Bellaire Triangle  shopping center and also one next to the Delman theatre across from Sears.  Sad day when Cellar Doors were gone, last one I believe was on Stella Link and Bellaire...

Either the Ones A Meal or the Dobbs House is today Bellaire Broiler Burger. I can't remember which one it was, but maybe it was both. I grew up a couple of blocks from there from the late 40s-late 60s.

In that same area ( within a half mile) at various times was a Prince's Drive In, Ding How Chinese take out, Kip's Big Boy, Griff's Hamburgers, Dunkin'  Donuts, Foote's Cafeteria, Mr. Hamburger, Chuck Wagon, Madding's and Duggan's Drug Store fountains, Hickory Pit BBQ, Shakey's Pizza, and there was also a small Mexican place near the intersection of Bellaire and Bissonett just east of Broiler Burger and Bert Wheeler's that I cannot remember the name of to save my life...

In that same area ( within a half mile) at various times was a Prince's Drive In, Ding How Chinese take out, Kip's Big Boy, Griff's Hamburgers, Dunkin'  Donuts, Foote's Cafeteria, Mr. Hamburger, Chuck Wagon, Madding's and Duggan's Drug Store fountains, Hickory Pit BBQ, Shakey's Pizza, and there was also a small Mexican place near the intersection of Bellaire and Bissonett just east of Broiler Burger and Bert Wheeler's that I cannot remember the name of to save my life...

Also Finer's Drug Store in the low brick bldg on the corner of Mapleridge (7th St) & Bissonnet, across Mapleridge from the Bellaire Goodyear store (today it's a Libreria). And for a short time a Valian's takeout Bissonnet at Rice.

Felix had a restaurant that today is the Brisket House at Bissonnet and Bellaire, which originally was a "circle" intersection (and Bissonnet was called Old Richmond Road all the way through Bellaire and West U to the curve at Edloe.

The fried burgers and fountain drinks at Dugan's counter were spectacular - at least in my preteen critique.

Thanks IHB2 I thought that the Felix was in that brick building but wasn't sure...it had many incarnations.  Buddies  and I would catch the bus in front of the Sears Catalog store and Wagners Hardware to go downtown for movies at one of the big 3--Metropolitan, Majestic, or Lowes then go to the Linoleum Club at James Coney Island for Lunch. Simpler times and trusting parents...They had some pretty good burgers at Anderson's Pharmacy near Bissonet and Avenue B just north of some apartments next to the vets and the Midget Market...also remember the 3--33 cent banana split promotions( pick a banana and the price was on the skin between 3 and 33 cents).  That area was my stompin grounds mid 50s to going off to college in the late 60s...Feld Park, Evergreen pool, Abercromie Fields...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would anyone have pictures of or know where Sybil Leek’s Cauldron, restaurant circa 1970s, was located in Rice Village (Houston, Tx)? I'm aware it was first located where Charlies used to be which I believe was 611 Hyde Park Boulevard, Houston, TX., then moved to Rice Village.

If I remember correctly, it was where the childrens section of Half Price Books is now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone recall the Red Barn Fried Chicken?  Do you know where it was and if it was part of the Red Barn hamburger chain that was all around the country?  (most of their locations were in barn-like structures but I think the Houston location was in a strip mall)

Not sure which Ranger Drive-In you remember, but the Ranger I remember was at Telephone Road and Holmes Road behind Gulfgate.  A long way north of Hobby.

That was long before the South Loop cut through on the Holmes Road footprint and blew out a lot of businesses that had been there a long time.

As I recall, the Ranger had the hottest car-hops on that end of Houston.

• Like 1

Not sure which Ranger Drive-In you remember, but the Ranger I remember was at Telephone Road and Holmes Road behind Gulfgate.  A long way north of Hobby.

That was long before the South Loop cut through on the Holmes Road footprint and blew out a lot of businesses that had been there a long time.

Original Timmy Chans.................

Original Timmy Chans was on Fannin past McGowen. You walked up steep steps to the restaurant on the  2nd floor. After it closed Dan McCluskey's Steak House took over the spot. Ate many lunches at Timmy Chan's when I worked downtown in the 70's and 80's.

• Like 1

This one was between Airport and Bellfort on the west side of Telephone. Building is still there, I think its a used car lot now. We used to drive all the way from Friendswood for a Coke.... 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember the Champs places. Worked at the one on 290 and Bingle, and the I45 and Dyna. Used to go eat at Jojos. they had good steaks. Pizza Inn ( i think it was off bingle) had a good buffet. Sals pizza off 290 was good too. I would get hamburgers at Charlies. The Del Taco somewhere near Dacoma and Mangum area were good fast food.Used to eat at Lubys on 290 at Grow lane. So many good food places have come and gone.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Montrose late 70's late 80's and just have to chime in as I have fond memories of several restaurants including:

The Stable's on Westheimer near Lamar School,

Courtlandts on Louisiana

Polo's on Post Oak

Baba Yega's off Montrose

Frenchies Chicken on Shepherd

I can't remember the name of the Empanada place on lower Westheimer.

The House of Pie's on Kirby

Mont St Michel

Old Chicago Pizza

The Brisket House near Downtown

and yea...............New Orleans Poboys on South Main, gave me my poboy fix from back home, mmmmmm

Great memories

Edited by fla_TIGER

• 4 weeks later...

Sambos was my favorite restaurant to eat at when I was a kid.  We used to go to the one that was on the intersection of 610 and Wayside.  We would eat there then go to the toy store across the freeway.  Does anyone remember the name of that toy store? I keep thinking it was called Lion’s World or Lionel toy store?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

1500 block, south side, between Windsor and Ridgewood. Looks like on Google it would've been 1513. The bungalow next door was a hippie ice cream shop as I recall.

According to their website, it was 1517.

http://www.theoriginalmarinisempanadahouse.com/aboutus.html

I couldn't find any pics of the original location online, except for the way-too-tiny one on their website. The interior was really something to behold - almost every available surface was covered with graffiti left by customers. Always wondered how and when that became a tradition, as it was already well-established by the time I started going there in 1981-82.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Downtown on the corner of Main and Bell was the Simpsons Dinning car. It has long been closed and last I knew of, it had been moved out on Westheimer. Can't remember now just how far out it was moved and I do not know if it ever reopened again. Also as a kid I remember the Price's Hamburger place on the south west corner of Shepherd and Washington Ave. They had 19 cent hamburgers, 12 cent fries, and 5 cent Cokes. The burgers were great and the prices right. Also there was Phil's café on the corner of Richmond and Mandell. Phil's later moved over to Shepherd between Norfolk and Portsmouth where the What A Burger is now located. 

• Like 2