K Hovnanian Homes Is Moving Inside The 610 Loop

Suburban home builder heads inside the Loop

Allison Wollam

Houston Business Journal

K Hovnanian Homes is moving inside the 610 Loop by venturing outside of Houston's suburbs for the first time since its predecessor company, Parkside Homes, entered the local market seven years ago.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../12/story8.html

I've seen two Parkside Homes developments: "City Park" at Orem & 288, and "Remington Ranch" at I-45 and Rankin Rd.

I like the looks of City Park; it's an attractive subdivision to me (with the exception of the plastic fences :blink: ).

However, the Parkside Homes at Remington Ranch looks like a (not very) glorified trailer park. Same plastic fences with none of the charm of City Park.

I've seen two Parkside Homes developments: "City Park" at Orem & 288, and "Remington Ranch" at I-45 and Rankin Rd.

I like the looks of City Park; it's an attractive subdivision to me (with the exception of the plastic fences  :blink: ).

I thought so too I am building my starter home there. Yes, the downside is that I will no longer be in the cities core, but the upside is that is my first home.

choosing a home with city park is like choosing an apartment floor plan; "the elm," "the pecan," "the grand elm III"

:blink:

It is true most of the homes don't have enough closet space in the smaller bed rooms, but there is a market for these homes. Like me I am starting out, in life, heck I am in my last year of college and I can afford to buy a home there. I expect to live there until I can aford to live in a townhome intown.

I thought so too I am building my starter home there. Yes, the downside is that I will no longer be in the cities core, but the upside is that is my first home.

Congratulations, eelimon. Nothing wrong with a starter home. Today's starter homes would've been huge 50 years ago.

I think that whole South area, south of the Med Cntr, north of the Belt and even east of 288 is going to quietly go "boom", as in building boom, for many, many years. Pearland lit the fire and there's just so much land and old, faded neighborhoods to kindle redevelopment. And, as you mentioned, there is a market, and always will be, for starter homes, especially since new construction, one-story homes inside the loop with a real yards have become virtually obsolete.

Like me I am starting out, in life, heck I am in my last year of college and I can afford to buy a home there.  I expect to live there until I can aford to live in a townhome intown.

Congratulations, eelimon. Nothing wrong with a starter home. Today's starter homes would've been huge 50 years ago.

congratulations! must be exciting! i plan on stopping the rent cycle when i finish graduate school (whenever that may be :rolleyes: ). i have no idea where i'll end up!

and yeah, even the smaller homes (the elm? the twig? i can't remember the names...haha) are probably huge compared to "normal" sized homes early to mid century...

KHovanian is also building a large section of homes in Cottage Grove (TC Jester just north of I-10) and off of Prince Street in the Timbergrove area (north of 11th and west of Shepherd).

The houses they have completed are quite nice with a entry level at $210,000.

and yeah, even the smaller homes (the elm?  the twig?  i can't remember the names...haha) are probably huge compared to "normal" sized homes early to mid century...

I can vouch for how "small" old post-WWII homes are compared to today's standards. Our home in South Union was originally a 2-bdrm 1-bath home, which was expanded by my father-in-law in the 70's, and again by my wife and I a few years ago.

While the home was gutted a couple years ago, it was very obvious (by the old framing) where the original home stopped. We only fit one small living room, dining room, kitchen, guest bathroom and half of our master bedroom into what was the original home. It's amazing that a family of 6 used to live in about 1/3rd of what 2 of us live in today.

FWIW, the original homes in the neighborhood are approximately 800 sf. More than half the homes on our block have been added onto, making most between 1,000-1,500 sf.

Obviously people didn't keep as much junk around as we do today.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on purchasing your starter home. Everyone has to start somewhere, although my concern with these type developments (Remington Ranch) is the uniformity of design, and no trees in sight. Make SURE you hire a very qualified home inspector to follow EVERY step of construction on a new home. I used to build homes, and I know first hand from working with a local large production builder that most Superintendents/Builders are carrying too many homes to truly be conscious of "quality". They are concerned with how fast the home is built, because that is where they make their money. Do not be fooled. I am not telling you that KHOV/Brighton/Parkside is a bad builder. I don't know anything about them personally, but I do know the industry, and have been involved in Houston construction for almost 15 years, and I can tell you that you will not see many "older" Superintendents/Builders working for production/tract builders. There is a reason there that you may not be aware of. The average "builder" is under 30 years of age, and has been in the business less than 5 years. Don't put all your trust in the "salesperson", they have NOTHING to do with the actual construction of your home. You get what you pay for. You can still get a quality, affordable home, but make sure you do your research.

Are these Townhomes or single family homes or zero lot line homes?

They're single-family detached homes (not townhomes/duplexes/zero lot line homes).

The twist to Parkside homes is that they feature common green space in the front of the house instead of a street, and vehicular access is via alleys at the back of the home.

As I said, I like the looks of City Park (Orem at 288), but Parkside at Remington Ranch doesn't seem to have the same look to it. Remington Ranch looks depressing to me, but City Park looks great. It's something about the street layout at Remington Ranch...all I saw while driving around was backs of houses and alleys...I didn't see the fronts of any houses.

Has anyone else here seen both, and do you share the same opinion?