Big Plans For Westchase District

bachanon

Westchase District

by Rives Taylor, AIA

PROJECT Westchase District Long Range Plan

CLIENT Westchase Municipal Management District

ARCHITECT Powers Brown Architecture with SWA Group

CONSULTANTS Robert Charles Lesser & Co. LLC (real estate); Spillette Consulting (urban development); Walter P. Moore (infractructure); Knudson & Associates (economic development)

DESIGN TEAM Powers Brown Architecture: Jeffrey Brown, AIA; Baldemar Gonzalez; John Cadenhead; SWA: Scott Slaney; James Vick; Kinder Baumgardner

At twice the size of downtown, the 4.2-square mile Westchase District is one of the aging "edge city fragments" from the 1970s and '80s that now compose the milieu of Houston's rapidly multiplying town center precincts. This area, fairly indistinguishable from the city's other car-centric suburbs, encompasses the typical mix of boulevard strip shopping centers, two-story apartment complexes, and mid-rise offices buildings (with more than 17.5 million square feet of commercial space). Local landowners ultimately decided to organize and consider how the west-side district's prospects could be made more attractive to re-investment. What was missing, they realized, was a distinctive identity for the district that would induce development over the next 20 years.

link to full article

• Like 1

Intresting. If only Downtown and other business districts can do the same. We would be heading in the right diriection as a city

:huh:

Downtown and other districts ARE doing the same. This long range plan is similar to the plans drawn up by TIRZ' in Midtown, Galleria, and Upper Kirby. The only difference that I see is that a TIRZ wasn't mentioned.

There needs to be a funding mechanism for all of the features to take hold. This might be a TIRZ, or it might take the form of an improvement district, similar to the one downtown. Certainly, like a 30 year old home, a redecorating project can bring new life to the area. But, I don't get the impression that this will be some glitzy new development, merely a much needed redesign of the existing area.

• 1 month later...
I cannot honestly say I am excited about this. Houston has too many edge cities to possibly compete with the center city, specifically downtown. I am not even that excited when I hear of urban projects coming to the Galleria area.

has anyone looked at houston from say out on the northern edge of the beltway? if you look towards the galleria area you would be hard pressed to distinguish it from a modern downtown area. it has skyscrapers and all.

• 2 years later...