Dirty Galveston Water

texasboy

Dang! the water it blue, and look at all of those jelly fish.

So people with yachts get a whole differnt look at Galvestons water than other people do. When I first heard about crusies leaving out of Galveston, I was like who would want to go on a crusie out of there, but I can see why now. Only the water upclose to the beach looks brown, but if you go out in the water a little farther, the water is blue.

Yeah, Galveston has some pretty bad Jelly Fish problems. I use to go like 3 years ago, and every 4 feet on the beach was a giant bubble of pink Jelly fish. :( I hate them very much so.

Destin has beautiful waters, I have a condo in "San Destin". But the Sharks were bad this summer, you could see them swimming around the shallow water from my balcony. Scary!

• 3 weeks later...

My Geology prof told us the Louisiana, Texas coasts were affected by the Miss. River. It brings sediment and the current carries it westward. By the time you get to South Padre, it is beautiful again. And, yes, Galveston has many days of gorgeous beach water. Of course, when your friends come from Chicago, Galveston will probably have a bad seaweed day. :unsure:

My Geology prof told us the Louisiana, Texas coasts were affected by the Miss. River. It brings sediment and the current carries it westward. By the time you get to South Padre, it is beautiful again. And, yes, Galveston has many days of gorgeous beach water. Of course, when your friends come from Chicago, Galveston will probably have a bad seaweed day. :unsure:

This is the explaination that is given to us at school also.

If you look at Gulf wide satellite imagery you can see that alot of the sediment is still in suspension from the Louisiana sources. Wave action in the nearshore keeps is suspended and drift carries it west and south. There is definately a local component as well. One of my college projects was to collect samples of the suspended sediment and try to seperate it by source river.

Archived