Downtown-intown Development.

Guest Plastic

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Plastic
Man, I sure wish I had some of what you're smoking right now.

The only thing I smoked for the past week was sausage. Well I actually microwaved it but the company smoked them for me.

Plastic: I don't want to be the bad guy here, but the board is having a hard time following your posts. Are you implying that the donut effect that many cities experienced in the 70's & 80's is still happening here in Houston. Are you also implying that you feel we should give up the efforts to continue to redevelop innerloop areas?

My answer to either statement, if those are indeed your thoughts, is "no". I feel that the donut effect is definately withdrawing. Proof of that is to see all the townhome development on ALL sides of downtown. As for you mentioning that our CBD is comprised of the entire inner-beltway, I again have to disagree. We have 1 CBD which is downtown. Sure we have other business districts, but due to distance, you can't call them a part of the CBD - especially when numorous residential neighborhoods seperate them.

As for you mentioning that our CBD is comprised of the entire inner-beltway, I again have to disagree. We have 1 CBD which is downtown. Sure we have other business districts, but due to distance, you can't call them a part of the CBD - especially when numorous residential neighborhoods seperate them.

I agree with Jeebus about our CBD comprising the entire inner beltway, but I disagree that we have only one CBD. When compared with other downtowns, the Uptown/Galleria is considered the 14th largest business district in America. I think Uptown could be recognized as a CBD as well.

Guest danax

I've merged these two topics as the previous one had almost the exact same theme and initial post. In fact, Plastic's topics seem to have a common, reoccuring theme, that of "Houston's CBD is really everything inside the Belt and we ought to fix up the outskirts of this area, not Downtown". Reoccuring like one of those dreams, and written very dreamlike; a fragment here, a seemingly disconnected image there, which leaves the reader pondering what it all means.

And pondering whether Plastic's posts are designed for entertainment or serious discussion.

The keyword here is central. How can you have two "centrals"?

Easily. Downtown is the CBD in the traditional sense, but the Galleria area is more geographically central to the distribution of Houston's population. In truth, the notion of CBD vs. Edge City is just a matter of semantics. Downtown is just a relatively large employment center, one of many similar such employment centers.

Easily. Downtown is the CBD in the traditional sense, but the Galleria area is more geographically central to the distribution of Houston's population. In truth, the notion of CBD vs. Edge City is just a matter of semantics. Downtown is just a relatively large employment center, one of many similar such employment centers.

Still, how can "central" be in more than one place for one city. Maybe if your arguement is that there are CBD's for each area of industry, then perhaps I can concede. That's the only way you could call Uptown a CBD - if that you are trying to identify Houston's Central Commercial Retail Business District. But a CBD is not that. It is where the bulk of business - all facets of business - resides with in a city.

Guest Plastic

First we need to define what Central Business District is. I say it's the city's biggest district with big businesses,entertainment,main retail, urban development,the cities tallest buildings,dense collection of bus routes and highways,the heaviest traffic, where the city goverment is, and as in most cities it's in the center.

Houston's Uptown is more massive than some city's Downtown's. Places like Alief and Greenspoint 17 miles away from Downtown are by some considered the gehtto.

Not saying we shouldn't redevelop DOwntown it's that we should have.

Guest Plastic

No it's being redeveloped,just not the things we like.

The city seems to be catering to sports building new sports favilities,bring SUperbowl,Baseball Allstargame,NBA Allstargame and stuff.

We need more music and shoping. WHile DOwntown has nightclubs I don't like them. We need some shops Downtown. If you really wan to to bring people in you've got to have a place for them to shop. SHoping and entertainment that's the key. WHile we do have The Park it's not like Memorial City or a standard mall. We need a Times Sqaure or a West End type markeyplace. You could see odd things and just walk around. WOuld also make a good place for events and parades.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The only thing I smoked for the past week was sausage. Well I actually microwaved it but the company smoked them for me.

That's not something we really needed to know.

I also burned part of my house.

*Bump*

You know you've been on this site too long when you start looking for posts from this guy just for the laughs.

Archived