Refuge Centers

With all of the hotels booked in Houston and in east Texas, there are bound to be refugees if the storm does what it's capable of. At this point, 9CDT, winds are at 160MPH and storm surge in NOLA could be 20-30 feet and 30-40 on the AL coast. Water could fill New Orleans like a fish bowl, with 19 feet covering the city, est., and millions out of the city for months. This means that cities like Houston may shoulder the load and there are bound to be hundreds of thousands of refugees. What do you think that the city of Houston will be doing?

Fema?

Red Cross?

It seems like a bad situation, and there will probably have to be long term refugee centers setup in the Houston area.

Sincerely,

caevans3

The National Hurricane Center just announced winds at 175 MPH. The preesure has dropped to 907 mb...lower than Hurricane Camille. With Katrina making a beeline to NO, this could be an epic storm.

I have friends coming in from NO. We're currently divvying them up for the available spare bedrooms amongst our Houston friends. Let's hope for the best.

Thank you refugees for helping pay for all our new sports venues!

This is funny as hell. I am sure a weather catastrophe was not what was in mind, but I am sure the hotels are loving this extra revenue. I would bet that certain roadside motels are making their year during this period.

Hey,

In reply to the wrong topic thing, sorry, I really hope that your hatred of ppl doesn't stem from a simple mistake.

The whole point of my thread was to see if there would be temp housing or a more permanent solution for the million or so refugees left by this storm. Many in the Tulane Univ. Hospital will have to be evacuated to Houston.

I also just wanted to know if this will cause Houston population to increase if ppl give up on New Orleans and if that poses a prob.

Sorry for the mistake, and thanks for the replies.

Sincerely,

caevans3

There may be some people who give up and move to Houston. If businesses move, then people will move. I would think that as long as businesses stay, most residents will tough it out. Refugee camps would probably be set up very near the city, so people will be near work and home.

You're talking temporary housing right?

I saw on the news last night that they are considering opening up the Astrodome for people who can't afford to stay in hotels for a couple of weeks since it looks like it's going to be at least that long before some of these folks can head back to N.O.

They were talking about Houston hotels price gouging. They interviewed a motel clerk who said they weren't CHARGING 199.99 but were QUOTING 199.99. The implication was that they were tyring to cut out the "riff raff" (can't remember if the clerk used that word or the reporter, but one of them said that).

Then they talked to a guy who was being charged $195 per night per room for three rooms in a motel that was also obviously not worth that much under normal circumstances.

Then Bill White came on and said that we would not tolerate price gouging. I certainly welcome the tax income to the city of Houston but hate to see us squeezing $$ out of those who cannot afford it in their time of need.

Yes, I meant temporary. However, there is immediate and then there is temporary. Immediate housing, that needed while New Orleans is still under water, and temporary housing, that needed while homes are repaired. Houston may well be a source for the immediate housing.

They were talking about Houston hotels price gouging. They interviewed a motel clerk who said they weren't CHARGING 199.99 but were QUOTING 199.99. The implication was that they were tyring to cut out the "riff raff" (can't remember if the clerk used that word or the reporter, but one of them said that).

I saw the report that I think you are referring to on Channel 11. I think the clerk used that phrase, and the first thing I thought was "how stupid can people get?" The second thing I thought was "how exactly does one determine what riff-raff is"?

Regardless, if the clerk actually said what the report appears for her to say, I think someone would have a great lawsuit. After all, variable prices based largely on whether one is "riff-raff" (and that's probably code for "of the wrong ethnic background") is discriminatory and I would imagine illegal under the Civil Rights Act. Not to mention the illegality of price gouging...

That all being said, if any proprietor is found guilty of price gouging, does anyone know what exactly the penalty is? I doubt the gougee receives anything...probably just the city, but does the gouger get their business license revoked? Anyone know?

is that truly wrong?

Most bars in town charge higher price for drinks or require cover to keep unwanted patrons away (particularly homeless). Should they be penalized?

Some states have price gouging laws the allow the price to go up somewhat by not too much. Florida has them.

Some people were going after Hilton Americas because they're were over $200 a night, but that is their normal rate. They just lower it to $109 a night.

I agree the statement was off, but raising prices to keep some people away is all too common.

It is morally wrong to do it in response to a tragedy, but it is also illegal on many fronts. Price gouging is specifically prohibited by the State of Texas. Federal laws also apply, if the gouging affects interstate commerce. Since this hotel is near the interstate, it clearly affects interstate commerce.

I found it rather ironic that a woman named "Ghandi" was engaging in these practices.

is that truly wrong?

Most bars in town charge higher price for drinks or require cover to keep unwanted patrons away (particularly homeless).  Should they be penalized?

I don't think there is anything wrong with having high prices to keep out an entire class, so long as the high prices are consistently applied to everyone equally. My point was that if you are going to charge one person X, but a (presumably) lesser amount to Y, largely because the latter isn't "riff-raff," doing so is highly suspect and probably illegal. That's what is discriminatory and incredibly stupid...

They say it could take months before people can get home. As I speak, the water is rising (NOT GOING DOWN) rising! I don't know whats going to happen. The worlds longest bridges that go across Lake Ponchetrain are broken all up. Those bridges are apart of interstate 10 so How are people going to get through. its a big mess. People thought since it missed New Orelans that it was not that bad (also not a 5 it was a $), and from the news yesterday it did not look that bad, but today many of the leveys broke and that have found many dead bodies.

If I was a New Orleans refugee staying in Houston, I'd have to think twice about going back. If I saw my neighborhood wiped out on TV, what's there to go back to? No schools. No electricity. No job. No money. Might as well start a new life in Houston.

Maybe the city should start some kind of Welcome Katrina Refugees resettlement program.

The bridges were broken up?

unless there is a tremendous current, destablized foundation, or the concrete beams float the bridges are ok. They will have to have complete inspections though.

Trucks are using the I-10 bridge on the westside of the cities which scrapes Lake Ponchartrain. The twin spans (I-10 on the east side of the city going to Slidell) I have hear had damaged. it understandable, but there is a back up with the old highway 11 bridge.

The causeway would be in the same shape as the I-10 bridge on the westside, but inspections would be needed also. I'm more worried about old Huey. The bridge has been there since 1935 and holds a worlds record for the large incline train bridge in the world (4.1 miles long).

The city will rebuild. The people will go back. I don't think it will be completely abandoned. The city holds to much importance to the US to let go. I don't see us letting go of San Fransisco after a major earthquake where much of the city is in shambles.

The solution is simple to fix. The Netherlands have measures in place to control storm surges (their biggest problem) across their country. We can build larger levees. Think about, the rising waters is coming from a recently breach levee. Not the storm itself. New Oreans regularly recieves tidal surchage the raise the lake water and the river regularly rises in the spring. I think the Army Corps will take the challenge and try to put in the one the best systems in the world to control the problem.

The Netherlands and Venice, Italy are two places that are really attacking storm surge problems. New Orleans is a little easier to solve but just build a bigger levee, unless they want to build something out on Lake Borne to constrol inflow into Lake Ponchartrain, but that would be a much bigger project and the environmental and economic impacts would prevent the construction.

The bridges were broken up?

unless there is a tremendous current, destablized foundation, or the concrete beams float the bridges are ok.  They will have to have complete inspections though.

Trucks are  using the I-10 bridge on the westside of the cities which scrapes Lake Ponchartrain.  The twin spans (I-10 on the east side of the city going to Slidell) I have hear had damaged.  it understandable, but there is a back up with the old highway 11 bridge.

The causeway would be in the same shape as the I-10 bridge on the westside, but inspections would be needed also.  I'm more worried about old Huey.  The bridge has been there since 1935 and holds a worlds record for the large incline train bridge in the world (4.1 miles long).

The city will rebuild.  The people will go back.  I don't think it will be completely abandoned.  The city holds to much importance to the US to let go.  I don't see us letting go of San Fransisco after a major earthquake where much of the city is in shambles.

The solution is simple to fix.  The Netherlands have measures in place to control storm surges (their biggest problem) across their country.  We can build larger levees.  Think about, the rising waters is coming from a recently breach levee.  Not the storm itself.  New Oreans regularly recieves tidal surchage the raise the lake water and the river regularly rises in the spring.  I think the Army Corps will take the challenge and try to put in the one the best systems in the world to control the problem.

The Netherlands and Venice, Italy are two places that are really attacking storm surge problems.  New Orleans is a little easier to solve but just build a bigger levee, unless they want to build something out on Lake Borne to constrol inflow into Lake Ponchartrain, but that would be a much bigger project and the environmental and economic impacts would prevent the construction.

I'm sure when you get home and see the news, you will come back here and apologize to citykid09 for telling him the bridges are fine. I just got back from lunch and watched the video of a decimated I-10 bridge.

I also spoke with several refugees at Market Square Grill. They are overwhelmed with information coming across the news channels. No one talked of not going back. They did not talk of the future at all. They are all in shock. They cannot comprehend all of the things going on right now. They were speechless at the thought of waiting weeks to start their lives over. It was an incredibly sad conversation.

Archived