Refuge Centers

Alot of the people are in Austin too. I mean all hotels in the Metro area are booked full until 2 weeks from now. There are Lousiana licesne plates everywhere in Austin. Alot of them said if they cant go back the would stay and make a living here.

makes a lot of sense. i for one would doubt i would go back ... heck, what would i be going back to?

Hey Redscare,

I've gotten see some good pics of the bridges into and out of the city.

Now that I've gotten to see them, the damage looks pretty extensive.

Many road decks have been knocked off. The one good thin is the bents (beam conecting the pilings) still appear fairly intact.

The worst one I've seen is just west of Biloxi. All the road deck has been removed leaving only the supports.

I do have faith the city will rebuild.

I guess with the rate information is coming from there what you see and here one minute will change with the next. I wish I had a TV in my office. I could consistantly keep up with the new pictures.

The hotels in DFW are filling up too... The Adam's mark lowered prices for refugee's to $69/night and the hotel is now full.... all 1800 rooms. From what I understand there is a steady stream of New Orleanites coming to Dallas as well. Reunion Arena is being transformed into a Red Cross Refugee/Relief center. I'm going to give blood because the Red Cross said they're in dire need of blood. I hate needles and might passout, but it will be worth it to help others. Everyone in Houston should consider giving too.... Can you imagine the amount of blood the two largest metro's in Texas could provide? That alone would be a huge help.

I'm proud of Houston for opening the welcome wagon and helping out in such a big way. It's nice to see that Texas Hospitality really is still alive and well. Way to go Houston!!!!!

Hey Redscare,

I've gotten see some good pics of the bridges into and out of the city.

Now that I've gotten to see them, the damage looks pretty extensive.

Many road decks have been knocked off.  The one good thin is the bents (beam conecting the pilings) still appear fairly intact.

The worst one I've seen is just west of Biloxi.  All the road deck has been removed leaving only the supports.

I do have faith the city will rebuild. 

I guess with the rate information is coming from there what you see and here one minute will change with the next.  I wish I had a TV in my office.  I could consistantly keep up with the new pictures.

Yeah, it does change minute by minute, mostly for the worse. The Hwy 190 bridge is the worst I've ever seen, though I-10 over Ponchartrain is pretty ugly, too. We have no choice but to rebuild New Orleans. Nation building begins at home.

The nagging question in my mind is still who will come back to rebuild? It wouldn't take too many companies or residents to leave for it to cripple New Orleans' rebirth.

The nagging question in my mind is still who will come back to rebuild?  It wouldn't take too many companies or residents to leave for it to cripple New Orleans' rebirth.

Yeah, that's one of the big problems. It's one thing to come in after a category one huricane, wait for the power to be hooked up and start operations again. This is something else entirely. In many places there is no water, no sewer, no roads, no electricity, no airport, no rail lines, no shipping facilities. It will take years for all that to come back on line. A small or medium-sized company can't just sit and wait for all of that to be rebuilt. They have to set up shop somewhere else or go out of business. It's a tough choice, espeically for companies that are closely tied to the community.

^ one problem though, is that many of the businesses in N.O. deal with the shipping trade. The port of N.O. is the largest port in the U.S. and sitting at the mouth of the Mississippi river is the life-blood of some of those companies. You take them off the river and they can't survive.

Excellent point. I guess a lot of it will depend on what happens with the channels and such. I imagine once basic services are in place the Army Corps of Engineers will go out and do some soundings to see what needs to be dredged. Hopefully not too much, though based on other hurricanes I think that's unlikely. Still, it's possible that the hurricane may have made some channels deeper and better for all we know.

Archived