Goodbye, Classical 91-7 KUHA

Purpledevil

To me it is really shocking that Houston is going to (again) lose its broadcast classical station.  This is such a step backwards for Houston's reputation.  Does this not send the wrong message about Houston, viz that we are a bunch of rubes?  Why on earth doesn't the city purchase the station to ensure that classical broadcast programming remains easily available? 

Wasn't there a huff about Rice selling it's station to UH a few years ago?  Now UH is ditching the station?  I've always thought it's part of the public duty of the local public university to maintain a station like that along with pbs tv.  Sad.

Rice doesn't want it, wei. The university is actually in the process of building a new FM station here in Houston, only at a significant reduction of power when compared to the formerly owned 50 kilowatt 91-7.

On a personal note, I share in the dissatisfaction of losing the station OTA, but to be fair ever since they've been using the bird to feed KUHA, it has not been nearly as desirable to punch up on the dial, nor has it maintained its original statement of focusing on local performances. I can't tell you the last time I heard the Houston Symphony itself air on 91-7, but it has indeed been some time.

University of Houston has announced its intention to sell the former longtime home of Rice Radio. Classical format will remain on its digital platforms, TV 8.5 and 88-7 HD2.

http://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/news/classical-music-station-kuha-917-fm-moving-to-hd-radio-digital-format/

I'm NOT surprised they're doing this one bit!!

It was bound to happen sooner or later!

Sad, but predictable. Terrestrial radio is in a big shakeup. Don't know what it takes to keep an essentially charity broadcast station on the air, but it's more than nothing.

KMFA in Austin is listener supported, and has been so for decades.  WRR in Dallas is municipally owned, which I think should be the solution for Houston.

I worry that the lack of a classical music station will make Houston seem a bit too

the-hillbillies.png

Archived