Was This Street Renamed?

• 8 months later...
  • 12 years later...

John C. Calhoun (if this is the Calhoun the thoroughfare* was named for) was a segregationist and a staunch proponent of slavery. I doubt there is much sentiment in favor of returning to that name now. That said, I'm not a big fan of renaming things for political expedient though I can certainly see removing names of people whose actions were so odious as to cause great consternation and loathing among the population.

Why the asterisk? I was told once, and am now too old to remember by whom, that the original layout of thoroughfares in what is now the central business district named  those going more or less north and south as streets and those east and west as avenues. So we have Main Street and Texas Avenue and those parallel to either keep that same designation, i.e. Smith, Louisiana, Travis, Milam, Fannin, San Jacinto Streets and Capitol, Rusk, Lamar, Dallas Avenues.

You are probably bored of my post but I continue: St. Joseph "Parkway" is NOT a parkway. Allen Parkway qualifies in my opinion and the Sam Houston Parkway does not. There are probably thoroughfares in the suburbs that would meet my expectation of a parkway - at least until they are lined by strip shopping centers and drive through restaurants. Are there any other kind of restaurants these days? 😬

Be safe and healthy.

Road, Street, Avenue, Parkway, Highway, Boulevard, Alley, Causeway, Circle, Court, Cove, Drive, Lane, Place, Trail, Way

in Houston, it seems these names are not given based on any designation of the roadway type, but more just when someone submits a name for the roadway, they put whatever designation they want to it, and it is either approved, or not.

regarding Calhoun, St Josephs used to be Calhoun Avenue, which was mentioned above. Calhoun Road (different street altogether), still exists.

there's a wikipedia page for Calhoun, and also one for things named after him. kind of surprising the locations of some of the things named after him. while he was an unashamed slave owner, and fought for slave owners rights, he wasn't part of the confederacy, probably because he died 11 years before it happened. he was a US congressman, a US senator, the US vice president, the US Secretary of War. while his motivations were horrible, he fought for minority rights. at the time, these were slave owners. the thing is, the concept of minority rights is more important today than ever. 

personally, I'm no fan of any street named after a person, because no matter who it is, it will make someone uncomfortable.

Archived