Abandoned Roads

mblaise

Thanks everyone. I have corrected those two broken links. -- The areas around downtown are a great hunting ground for old roads. Before we had freeways in the downtown area, there were many roads, especially in industrial areas. Some roads still exist, but in a much shorter form. And there are those streets that disappear completely. Before Montrose was extended over Memorial, there were short streets called Winnie, Butler and Brown. Others now gone were Avie, Willia, part of Wichman, Raymond and Barness. Butler Street was where the Scouts used to deliver used newspaper. Today, where these streets were, are lofts and condos. -- John Williams has an awesome site about the west side of Houston - it's been on here, but I'll post the link - http://www.westhoustonarchives.org/ - with great information about roads that existed prior to the building of Barker and Addicks reservoirs. -- One of my favorites my site is Old Katy Road -- today it's a dead end road on two sides of a railroad track. Fifty or 60 years ago it was a major thoroughfare! Another is Neurath Plaza, a real mystery, in which only a tiny chunk of concrete remains, now behind a locked gate. Who is it was named for is up for grabs. -- I'll look up some other roads that have gone away and see if we can perhaps find a little bit of history. -- And no, Breen Road was never Mulberry, except on early subdivision plans.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Marty for fantastic research. I especially liked the abandoned roads, bridges, etc. section. Many of the old street names I recognize from viewing old Houston maps. It's nice to see actual photos of them.

Your link in post # 11 is appreciated, as well. The person's recollections of the "mansion" on Hwy 6, between West Rd. and Clay was interesting. We've talked about that house, before, on HAIF. I read an anthropologist's (archaeologist) thesis on the Addicks Reservoir -Corp. of Engineers project a while back. The archaeologist student had relatives who owned a farm and land there, before the construction of the dams and roads.

I've always wondered about that particular house, at Hwy 6 and West Little York. The story is feasible, about pieces of other houses being used, to build it. I wouldn't be surprised if the pieces of the removed homes and barns were incorporated into this particular house. I know the paper said they were either moved or torn down. Sad story, if it is somehow linked to the other farm houses... but intriguing.

The house has always been hard to pinpoint, for style, year built. It reminds me most of the River Road, outside of new Orleans- Louisiana style.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was hoping someone who knows the older parts of Houston (such as Heights, River Oaks) could shed some light on something for me.

I hunt for abandoned roads and old right-of-ways in the primarily west side of Houston, and I recently took notice of one on North Shepherd Dr. between 34th and 38th St., near the Garden Oaks Theater.  On either side of the North Shepherd main drag where the underpass goes beneath the railroad corridor, there are two old right-of-ways surrounding the main road at ground level.

These old right of ways have been closed off for a long time, but they are very unusual.  Even the oldest aerial imagery I could find shows both the main lanes of North Shepherd, and the little side street up at ground level.  Were the two built in conjunction?  Or did the outer roads pre-date the current right of way that dips below the railroad?  I would love to learn more about this bizarre configuration.

Hi all, 

I am John Williams, I operate the westhoustonarchives.org site Marty mentioned above (thanks for the shout-out Marty).  I have been ongoing in my efforts to document more of historic West Houston.  I have not been posting on this forum for quite some time now but I wanted to see what has been posted about the area of town I pay the most attention to.  I have been quite occupied with documenting the construction of various parts of Grand Parkway and the 290 overhaul, but I have also unearthed quite a bit of new topics regarding abandoned roads.  I still find them four years after thinking I'd seen them all.

I covered a few new discoveries in 2014, such as Susquehannah Dr. in Cypress, the Telge/Spring Cypress intersection, Old North Belt Dr., and North Shepherd near 38th.  

I also have done some research on the Elysian Viaduct.  Not abandoned but most certainly doomed.  I was excited to see there were still parts of ground-level Elysian St. intact beneath the viaduct.  That was a 1950's creation.

A colleague lives near that site, and has since he was born. His mother still lives in the house his parents bought in 1939. According to my colleague, the residents of that area used the ground level ROW until the railroad redid the tracks, and eliminated the level crossings, forcing everyone to use the underpass.

Ah, that actually would make sense.  I wondered why they would bother to build the ground level roads at a diamond shape if there wasn't already a main underpass in place.  I thought it would be quite beneficial for local residents to have those ground level roads just for whipping around the corner while the heavy traffic passed by harmlessly below.  If the railroad is really the one to close off those surface streets that was kind of a mean thing to do.  Any idea when that happened?

From Google Earth, I would GUESS sometime between 1989 and 1995. Own experiences, though--railroads are the ones close down crossings usually...

- In College Station, there's a problem brewing because the railroad wants to cut two railroad crossings heavily used by people in the southern rural subdivisions. The "compromise" is to build a new crossing a bit farther north, but even that is ineffective as the reason why the two are closing is a siding is to be built, and trains would be slower around the siding.

- I remember a news story in Brenham, TX where UP actually wanted to PAY the city if they could get rid of W. Vulcan Street's crossing (but that kinda made sense at the time since there were 5 grade crossings within a quarter mile span)

• 5 months later...

I had been using zxq.net for a host and they have had major problems. Apparently my abandoned roads and highways site is gone. Also my high school website and church site as well, so I have to start over. The good news is I have all my abandoned roads and highways and bridges photos and will rebuild. I have 100 plus photos from the Houston area and near Houston/around Texas. So I just need to find a good webhost. Hope to rebuild even better. Marty Blaise

I had been using zxq.net for a host and they have had major problems. Apparently my abandoned roads and highways site is gone. Also my high school website and church site as well, so I have to start over. The good news is I have all my abandoned roads and highways and bridges photos and will rebuild. I have 100 plus photos from the Houston area and near Houston/around Texas. So I just need to find a good webhost. Hope to rebuild even better. Marty Blaise

Good luck rebuilding!

• The title was changed to New Website Of Abandoned Streets In Houston (Plus Highways In Texas)
  • The title was changed to Abandoned Roads

Archived