National Biscuit Company At 2450 Holcombe Blvd.

Ashikaga

Physically, I believe it's still intact, but have no idea when it ceased being used by Nabisco. If the Canal location opened in 1940 with the bigger plant near TMC opening in 1949, did Nabisco only operate it as a bakery for less than a decade?

That's a great question. This is what I've found searching for local bakery history...

Maybe the Canal location was a distribution facility.

When National Biscuit Company moved to Houston from Galveston after the 1900 storm the small two oven bakery was somewhere in the second ward. They soon outgrew this location and built a bakery on Chenevert around 1910.

National Biscuit Company (NABISCO) occupied the five story, red brick, 100,086 Sq. Ft. building on Chenevert, employing 200 people, until 1949. Following general trends, the company moved to the edge of the city, then Holcombe and Almeda to provide space for employee parking and easy access for trucks. The Chenevert building was sold to the Purse Furniture Co. and now may be lofts.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I don't remember where I captured the newspaper article photo from. I'm collecting historical info for a FaceBook page Re: the Almeda location (1949-1999) and the employees. The watercolor on the right was presented to all current employees at the time of the closeure.

• Like 1

When the then "modern" Nabisco Bakery opened in the early 50's in Houston on Holcombe and Almeda, the Harrisburg Rotary Club was invited on a tour of the new facility. I remember that it was as hot inside by the huge ovens as my family's laundry and dry cleaning plant.

• 5 years later...
On 8/15/2005 at 5:14 PM, Ashikaga said:

I think that I also remember a NABISCO plant somewhere in Houston. I remember learning that it stood for NAtional BIScuit COmpany. I don't have any Fritos and bean dip in the cabinet. But I have some RITZ crackers and potted meat. That made me remember NABISCO. But the plant that I remember might not have been in Houston. Maybe someone out there can set me straight.

Now, to spread the potted meat on the RITZ!

The plant was on the SE side of Houston off or on OST I think. I can remember my mom going there and buying "marked down" goodies.

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2019 at 10:45 AM, gnu said:

SE corner of Holcombe and Almeda

Google Map link

My dad was in the VAhospital for an extended time in about 1967. We could smell the cookies and crackers baking. Dad knew they had a storefront and my mom would bring him different things every night, still warm. He called it the Nabs plant. The smell was intoxicating for a small child. We weren't allowed to go in to see him. We'd stand on the lawn and he'd wave from the window. 

• 8 months later...
  • The title was changed to National Biscuit Company At 2450 Holcombe Blvd.
  • 4 weeks later...