New Dallas Developments

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

I love that thing. If it was built here we'd all be going bonkers. Imma gonna call it the E-Cig. 

Yes. Yes we would. Incredible considering their 27% Class A vacancy downtown (compare ours at 14%) and anemic $26/SF Class A rental rate (ours at $42/SF). Although Dallas's Uptown is a totally different animal (11% vacancy, $40/SF rental rate), and this is right on the frontier between the two. We will see if it gets scaled back, though I'm guessing Ross Perot wants to leave a legacy and it won't. Might even overtake JPMC for tallest in Texas with that crown.

I hope our next tall one is something like this, and not another handsome, understated, blue glass Pickard Chilton. Not that I don't enjoy the last two.

Will significantly impact the Dallas skyline, in a way neither they nor us has seen since the 80's:

1490381833-Foster-2012-Field-2.jpg?w=724

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 3

It's a good looking render. I just hope it doesn't look like a giant grain silo. J/k I think he will do a great job.

1 million sq ft can reach 300m easily. If it's at least 788ft that would be cool. At least 922ft would great. 300m(984ft) would rock. 1003ft would be better. ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JasnoDTX said:

It's a good looking render. I just hope it doesn't look like a giant grain silo. J/k I think he will do a great job.

1 million sq ft can reach 300m easily. If it's at least 788ft that would be cool. At least 922ft would great. 300m(984ft) would rock. 1003ft would be better. ;)

BoA Plaza in Atlanta reached 1,023 feet (for the title of tallest in the South) with only 1.3 million SF, thanks to tall ceilings and a huge pyramid and spire. Compare with JPMC's 2.2 million square feet and 1,002 feet (which I noticed you have memorized). If Dallas were to overtake it in height with less than half the floor area it would be some "bad bull" as we Aggies call it.

I don't think it will, judging by the rendering, where it appears shorter than your BoA Plaza. I am surprised it will have almost 70 stories with only 1 million SF; those are pretty small floorplates. Small floorplates and a high floor count shows a commitment to aesthetics which I admire.

• Like 2

Yea that BOA in ATL is all fluff at the top. Take away the spire and it's almost the same rooftop height as the Dallas BOA. 

Yep 69+ stories with tall ceilings is possible for this Foster tower if built even with small floor plates.

Just a reminder: 432 Park Ave is only 412,000sqft and stands well over 1,300 feet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JasnoDTX said:

Yea that BOA in ATL is all fluff at the top. Take away the spire and it's almost the same rooftop height as the Dallas BOA. 

Yep 69+ stories with tall ceilings is possible for this Foster tower if built even with small floor plates.

Just a reminder: 432 Park Ave is only 412,000sqft and stands well over 1,300 feet.

Well, that's a condo tower. A little different. But it looks like the Perots are wanting to make this one the tallest in Dallas at least, if possible:

https://www.dmagazine.com/business-economy/2017/03/in-tallest-skyscraper-wars-perot-eyes-topping-bofa-plaza/?ref=mpw

No mention of the tallest in Texas. This is where Dallas' pomposity could come in handy. They are probably unaware that the tallest buildings in the state are in Houston, and just naturally assume that Dallas' tallest is Texas' tallest. Kind of like how you are always hearing Dallasites say that whatever is biggest or best in their city is "the best in Texas," as in, "We have this little Italian restaurant that's so good - why, it's the best in Texas!" and couldn't even name a restaurant in Houston or Austin. Go ahead Perots, reach for the skies. Build that 73 stories.

• Like 1

I disagree.  Anyone in Dallas who knows about skyscrapers knows Houston has the tallest and (will always have) the most number of tall bldgs.   I am 101% certain Perot knows this too. 

I doubt Dallas will ever reach the same number of tall blgs around the city and if it did Houston would have doubled by that time but I wouldnt doubt if we put up some more 30 story+s in unexpected places outside the core. Id keep an eye on the southside in the next decade too. 

Ive never heard any Dallas people talk like that.  Truthfully all cities have pompous citizens.  Ive actually found Austin to be the most smug. 

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, JasnoDTX said:

I disagree.  Anyone in Dallas who knows about skyscrapers knows Houston has the tallest and (will always have) the most number of tall bldgs.   I am 101% certain Perot knows this too. 

I doubt Dallas will ever reach the same number of tall blgs around the city and if it did Houston would have doubled by that time but I wouldnt doubt if we put up some more 30 story+s in unexpected places outside the core. Id keep an eye on the southside in the next decade too. 

Ive never heard any Dallas people talk like that.  Truthfully all cities have pompous citizens.  Ive actually found Austin to be the most smug. 

I agree about Austin.

• Like 4

In regards to the Foster tower:

“I’m sure we’ll make it taller, ” Perot replied. “I’m sure we will. But the bottom line is, we’re developers, and we need a good client—and we’re gonna do what the customer wants. Ideally, it would be one build-to-suit client…"

DMag

• Like 2

RANDALLS CLOSING HOUSTON DISTRIBUTION CENTER TO CONSOLIDATE IN DFW

Grocery giant Randalls will close its distribution center at 10700 Telge Road in Houston and will consolidate its operations in Dallas-Fort Worth. 

Albertsons will also consolidate its Houston division office with its Fort Worth disunion office, the Houston Chronicle reports. 

The company said the move will mean a reduction in staff. The distribution center on Telge Road employs 205 people.

Edited by Sic'EmBears
  • Like 2

More apartments on the way on Singleton Boulevard in West Dallas

1491236129-trinityplan.jpg?auto=format&q

Now Stonelake Capital has filed plans for a second, 325-unit apartment block that will be built on the west side of Obenchain Street near Singleton.

Stonelake Capital partner Kenneth Aboussie confirms that the apartments will be the next phase of the Trinity Green project.

Project Location

• Like 2

Room & Board, a popular furniture retailer, is coming to Dallas

American-made modern home furnishings retailer Room & Board plans to open its first Texas store in Dallas later this year. 

The retailer which has a cult-like following already has a large online customer base in the Dallas area.

The Minneapolis-based furniture retailer is combining two spaces on McKinney Ave., just south of Knox, formerly occupied Nest and Design Within Reach.

Room & Board says more than 90 percent of its products are made in the U.S. using both American-made and imported materials. The company works mostly with small U.S. manufacturers.

Project Location

Edited by Sic'EmBears
  • Like 4

D-FW home starts jump to highest level in seven years

North Texas builders scrambled to meet buyer demand in the first three months of 2107, starting the most houses in a single quarter since 2007.

During the 12 months ending with March, Dallas-Fort Worth homebuilders started more than 30,500 houses - the strongest building performance since the Great Recession.

First quarter home starts were up 16 percent from the same period in 2016.

And builders sold an estimated 7,519 homes so far this year - about a 15 percent gain from year-ago totals.

• Like 2

The Drever Sorts Out Liens, Gets New Financing

lobby-06.jpg
TheDreverDallas

The Drever, the Downtown skyscraper undergoing renovation at 1401 Elm St., closed a new financing vehicle with a private investment group on April 5. Missouri City-based GCP Income Opportunities I is listed as the lender on public records.

“All contractors are current and construction continues as planned,” Drever said. “All of the abatement, fire safety and cutting in stairs are either finalized or in progress to meet safety and fire code requirements, and work is paid to date.” The redevelopment is still set to deliver in 2018, Drever said.

• Like 3

New Uptown Dallas apartment project will add 190 rental units

1492047394-rendering3.jpg?auto=format&q=

Called Modera Howell, the 7-story apartment block is the latest of a series of close-in rental communities built by Dallas-based Mill Creek.

Mill Creek and venture partner Abington Properties are building the Uptown project with a rooftop pool deck, fitness studio, landscaped courtyard with outdoor kitchen and dining area, a business center and three levels of underground parking parking.

Project Location

Edited by Sic'EmBears
  • Like 2

New tower on the drawing board for Dallas' huge Lincoln Centre project

1492097477-lincolncenter4.jpg?w=724&h=50

Now Lincoln Centre's owners are proposing construction of a fourth office tower that would be built on the east side of the tollway.

The 390,000-square-foot office project would be the largest such development in that area in more than a decade.

Lincoln Centre leasing agents with Cushman & Wakefield have recently been showing details of the planned tower to prospective tenants.

The expansion project would also include a multi-level parking garage that would replace surface parking on the northwest side of the property, according to plans for the development.

Project Location

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JasnoDTX said:

It'd be nice if they went taller.

Keep in mind, the taller a new building, given a parallel relationship of height and square footage, the longer Dallas waits for the next building. 

An abundance of 20-something story towers is the quicker way to a dense, sustainable urban core, which once achieved, will naturally demand taller buildings. 

• Like 4

DFW maintains top spot in Texas for apartment growth. 

Austin is the only other Texas metro to place within the nation's top ten.

The Metroplex also places second nationally for both units permitted (5,664) and percentage gain (95%). 

D-FW apartment boom shows no sign of a slowdown with 50,000 plus units on the way

1492028566-apartmentstarts.jpg?auto=form

Dallas-Fort Worth was already the top apartment building market in the country before starts increased by more than 95 percent in the first two months of 2017.

Almost 30,000 new apartments will open their doors here in 2017.

Less than 5 percent of North Texas' rental units are empty. And average rents have gone up by almost 6 percent in the last year.

But with employment growth in the area still running over 100,000 new jobs a year, apartment analysts and builders are optimistic that the market won't get overbuilt.

1492046272-apartmentab.jpg?auto=format&q

• Like 4

Canada-based software firm moving U.S. headquarters to downtown Dallas

1492391997-717-Harwood-Exterior-Wide.jpg

A Canada-based software firm is relocating its U.S. headquarters to downtown Dallas.

Lone Wolf is leasing 25,000 square feet in downtown Dallas' 717 Harwood office tower where it plans to relocate its U.S. headquarters, according to filings with Dallas' Economic Development Committee. The company plans to have 150 jobs in the new location.

"This building can accommodate the future growth potential for the company which anticipates potentially leasing up to 100,000 square feet over time," according to the economic development committee report.

Lone Wolf is already moving people into its new downtown operation.

"We are recruiting pretty heavility down in Dallas," said Lone Wolf's Kate Annis. " It's a great place for technology and we are excited to be down there.

Edited by Sic'EmBears
  • Like 3