Transportation Costs

In honor of oil prices reaching $64.00 today (it settled at only $63.94), and that rather lame study on transportation costs in another thread, I thought we'd conduct our own study at HAIF.

What does it cost you daily to get to work and back? Include miles and mpg, with gas at $2.33 per gallon, tolls and parking. If you pay monthly, divide by 22 (work days in a month).

I drive 4 miles each way from the Heights to downtown. My 4WD Toyota Tundra gets 13 mpg in the city. :( Parking is $81.19 per month, or $3.69 per day.

Gas 1.43

Park 3.69

Total 5.12

I wish I paid that Red...

Gas $2.47

Park Free, amazingly

MPG 18 (Highway)

Gallons in tank 15

Miles in a workday 65 (est.)

Total $10.25 a day

I think I did that right... Math isn't my strong suit. :P

18 miles each way to work in a '97 Saturn w/ 30 mpg fuel eff. (all highway driving to work at 75 mph)

Therefore, I use 0.6 gallons of gas each way, or 1.2 gallons of gas per day.

At $2.33/gallon, I spend $2.80/day in gas round-trip.

Add in a $1.00 toll for the Westpark Toll Road (I take the toll road in the mornings, and the free Westpark lanes in the evenings)

No parking fees.

So:

Gas = $2.80

Toll = $1.00

Total = $3.80/day

I never realized it added up to that much every day...at 5 days/week, that's $19.00/week or almost $1,000.00/year!

I'm glad I just quit smoking...the savings will pay for my gas (at today's prices at least)

Driving myself in is faster 85% of the time. But I also take Eastex, which is the last Park and Ride before downtown.

I mainly take the bus for environmental reasons, and to take advantage of reading memos about my TPS Reports on the bus.

And right now, as I watch this storm approach downtown, I wish I had my HEMI!

9 miles RT normally, 4 miles if i'm on-site.

28 mpg, premium

gas: $.8/day

parking: free

also, don't forget about wear and tear on your car, maintenance, etc. the government rate they reimburse you for using your personal car is $.375/mile currently. this includes gas, insurance, wear and tear, maintenance, etc.

Commute from Midtown to 290 & 34th area about 11 miles (I do a lot of driving on the weekends though).

Drive an 05 Civic @ about 30 mpg.

Free parking.

Insurance is about $83/mo.

Costs about $25 per week to drive my car (commuting and pleasure use).

May be moving into Oak Forest, then I'll just ride my bike to work.

hmm - both cars get about 30-35 mpg (i'll use 30 since it seems the med center area siphons it...).

about 15 miles round trip, a half a gallon a day and at 2.29 on average.

so $1.15 a day for gas

plus i pay about $400 a year to park

plus about $120 a month in insurance (for two vehicles).

bleh

We've been spoiled, that's for sure. Honestly, it's amazing that the price has stayed low for as long as it has considering we consume 18 million barrels of oil a day in the United States.

The shame is that at this price, we get nothing out of it. At least in Europe, the high price is mostly taxes that are used to build road and mass transit infrastructure. The high price also forced people to convert to efficient autos. Here, most of that money is going to foreign governments, since we produce only a third of our oil, and because the dollar is so weak. What's left goes mostly to the oil companies. Very little goes to road infrastructure, because the tax hasn't been raised to match inflation.

Archived