Houston's Best Lounges?

Lei low on n main

leilowhtx.com

Tiki bar and the owners strive to be authentic. Expensive drinks...but a great place. And...nothing but exotica music there.

Can't wait to go back. In fact, what time is it???

Put Martin Denny on your Pandora, and get in the mood. See you there.

I'm in a cab right now looking for this place and it's no where to be found! Sadness.

Prolly too late to help 'trose, but it's around 24th or so, about halfway between Cavalcade and the Loop, on the east side of North Main.

Well I had it pulled up on google maps but where the pin was on the address it was a strip center and no tiki bar to be found. The cab driver drove up and down N Main twice, and asked me if it burned to the ground after passing that empty lot. Perhaps the lack of food from Mark's and the endless flow of cocktails had me confused.

Lei Low doesn't really have a sign that's visible from the street, except for the neon "RUM" over the entrance. You had the right strip center on Google Maps, but the street view pic predates the bar and needs to be updated. It looks like this now:

lei-low-2.jpg

Montrose. I'm so glad you took my advice. I'm so sorry you didn't find it. It's easy to miss. One of its charms actually. Next time you feel like getting tiki friki, IM me. I'll meet you there.

If they really play exotica/lounge I will definately try again!

Thank you all for the great advice. This website is so resourceful, I'm rediscovering this city each time I go out.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh man. Lei Low was awesome. Wonderful atmosphere, drinks were steady (way over served). Really great place. Music was chill, it got a little busy and had to order two drinks to keep up with the long line. Over all really chill and loungey place. The patio was really cool. The bartenders were assertive and not stuck up. A wonderful hole in the wall. I have to admit the music was really adult. Exotica/lounge, really great.

Grade A little place; just wish service was speedier. I would really like to go back. It's rare to find such a cool, relaxed, hole in the wall.

Oh man. Lei Low was awesome. Wonderful atmosphere, drinks were steady (way over served). Really great place. Music was chill, it got a little busy and had to order two drinks to keep up with the long line. Over all really chill and loungey place. The patio was really cool. The bartenders were assertive and not stuck up. A wonderful hole in the wall. I have to admit the music was really adult. Exotica/lounge, really great.

Grade A little place; just wish service was speedier. I would really like to go back. It's rare to find such a cool, relaxed, hole in the wall.

Broken record. Someone hit me I'm stuck.

We ended up at #'s. I promised my friend I'd show her a tragedy. It's changed. Or course there are the usual freaks and geeks (myself included), but there were a ton of yuppies. The bars were packed. I've never seen it that busy.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Masraff's yesterday evening. I have to say the food was amazing. It did seem to be a little over-priced. And by a little, I mean you could get the same thing somewhere else for $10-20 less. Still good though! They also had a cigar list, but I didn't notice anyone smoking. I assume it was for their outside patio? The signature cocktail list was small but the wine list was enormous. I would go back, the staff were over the top at your service. My drink had 3 sips left and the server immediately ran to our table to ask if we would like another round. 

I guess it makes a difference that we were there on a Monday night. Not too busy. As a side note there was a round table of big shots next to us discussing their well productions, stock mergers, and Swiss bank accounts.

Has anyone been to Up in Highland Village? Is it worth the view? What exactly does Fine Dining Dress Code entail (If you have to ask). I would assume coat/tie and slacks? 

I've been to Up several times, usually before heading to #s. I've never gotten a table with a good view. I've always worn jeans and didn't feel out of place. It's the kind of place you'll see people like Diane Farb. She was at the table next to me once. 

• 2 months later...

13 Celsius, great wine bar in Midtown. 

Thanks for the tip. I do enjoy a good wine bar, but I'm looking for cocktails. Mixing would result in a terrible Saturday!

So I have narrowed a few down, unfortunately none really in the area. I haven't been to any of these so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Absinthe Brasserie - I think I'll check this place out on a date night. Looks a little quiet and more relaxed then what we are looking for. 

Rosemont Social Club - A little more upbeat and looks fun. Of course, if this is a failure, Meteor is a short cab ride away.

Etro Lounge - More dancy but I know after enough drinks I'll be ready to start a soul train circle on the floor. Perhaps a pinch too clubby?

Uropa - From the pictures on yelp it looks to be the best balance of club and lounge. The interior looks funky! I wouldn't go specifically here for the Hookah, but it's nice to have the option.

Archived