Houston Radio Legend Sam Malone nominated for Texas Radio Hall of Fame

Blue Dogs

Brietbart.com and mikemcguff.com both reported that Houston radio legend Sam Malone has been nominated for induction to the Texas Radio Hall of Fame. In an announcement from the TRHF, he was listed alongside 11 other candidates who now are facing the voting process before induction to the historic organization.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/05/25/Houston-Radio-Legend-Sam-Malone-Nominated-for-Texas-Radio-Hall-of-Fame

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/

Any reaction to Malone's nomination to the TRHF ?

post-9343-0-75935200-1401814528_thumb.pn

Malone has shown himself to be a survivor in an industry where survival skills are right up there with on-air and production talent. He probably deserves to be in the HOF, but I'm getting a little annoyed by what I see as a "campaign" to get him elected into the Hall.

There are more than 50 other veteran radio people who have been nominated - and all deserve to be elected - but Malone is the only one who is constantly promoted for it. Every time I turn around I see a story about it somewhere - even on the Breitbart News national website.

Malone has always been a highly energetic self-promoter, which isn't a bad thing because of the old axiom that says: "he that tooteth not his own horn the same shall not be tooted". It's why he's survived as long as he has.

But, the constant news reports of his nomination make me suspect that he's probably the person putting them out there. If that's true, come on Sam - give it a rest. We know you've been nominated.

As someone who worked in Houston radio at several stations over more than four decades, I must confess that I have always been baffled by Malone's popularity. My wife loved him when we lived in Houston, so I tried to listen to his show from time to time. Unfortunately it always made me want to run out the door screaming my head off. How in the world could someone as shallow and insipid as he is be so popular????

But, I'm just one listener, and a voice in the wilderness. A lot of people DID enjoy listening to him. God bless them, and him. And judging from his transparent and annoying self-promotion, he'll make it into the Hall of Fame.

Legend???

Uh, no, sorry Blue Dogs. #topicnamefail

I can name you a long list of legendary Houston disc jockeys and/or on-air personalities, and Sam Malone doesn't come close. I'll certainly second what Filio has stated above.

See ya!

Archived