Continental Houston Hotel At 101 Main St.

I am picking up from an old theme back in 2007, but does anyone have information about the Continental Houston Hotel - it may have been a Ramada on the corner of Main and Franklin. I am looking for information about it in June 1963. This was supposed to have originally been the site of the Land and Trust Company. For historical research purposes I need to find some details dating back to June 1963 - pictures would be wonderful.

• Like 1

That's wonderful - I thought for a moment that I had made a mistake when I wrote notes to myself back in the 1970s when I was doing some research. The other day I could not find any references to this place except for the old comments above which related to another hotel. If anyone else can turn up a street photograph of the front of the building that would be most welcome, but at least with your ad I know that my notes are valid. Thank you!

The Continental Houston was at 101 Main.  It opened in October 1962.  The opening ceremony was attended by actresses Rhonda Fleming and Connie Stevens, so you know they had big hopes for the place.  In addition to 250 "fabulous" guest rooms facilities included the Acapulco Lounge and the French Quarter Club.  This part of Main was pretty sketchy at the time, and apparently it was hoped that the swank new hotel would spur redevelopment of the area.  Didn't happen though, and the hotel was demolished in 1993. 

Continental.jpg

That big rock left foreground?  That was a piece of lava weighing more than a ton.

• Like 1

The last use of that hotel was as a dorm for UHD, plus some student organization offices. It smelled of sewage most of the time. There was some resistance to its demolition, but it wasn't a great building by then. I think it finally went away in the early 90's

• Like 1

I like it because it is a great example of the era of turquoise buildings.  Structures weren't always just beige!

That would be a great title for a book on midcentury architecture.

My parents' house was built in 1962 and the trim was painted turquoise for most of the following decade.

• The title was changed to Continental Houston Hotel At 101 Main St.