Lord loses spot on radio team on 610

Blue Dogs

Houston Chronicle is reporting newly acquired Texans media contributor John Harris will be replacing Rich Lord as sideline reporter for the football team's radio broadcasts this fall, Texans broadcasting director Marc Vandermeer said Thursday.

Harris, the former KGOW (1560 AM) and Yahoo!Sports Radio host who signed on recently as a contributor to the team's website and broadcast properties, will join play-by-play announcer Vandermeer on the team's radio network. Analyst Andre Ware also is expected to return to the radio network, which includes flagship KILT(610 AM).

Lord, a longtime KILT talk show host, was the second station employee to hold the sideline reporter's job. Former KILT talk show host John Granato held the job from 2002-2006. This will be the first time in the team's history that the on-air radio game broadcast crew will be made up entirely of broadcasters not employed by KILT.

Vandermeer said the decision was "no reflection" on Lord (YEAH RIGHT) but an effort to boost Harris' profile with the Texans broadcast group.

"John Harris is going to be a big part of what we are doing on radio, TV and the website," Vandermeer said.

Any reaction to these new developments?

^I think he is only leaving the Sideline coverage during Texans games?  Still on the air.  I have no real opinion of Rich.  I neither like or dislike him.  What irritates me though, is the continual usage of the word "professional" to describe him.  Most of the 610 on-air people are professionals who decided to make radio their career; and from listening to Rich (over the years) I really can't say I think he's better than this guy, or that guy.  To me, he's somewhat stale.  I think 610 could keep him another decade and they would be fine, but if they cut him loose they would still be fine!

^I think he is only leaving the Sideline coverage during Texans games? Still on the air. I have no real opinion of Rich. I neither like or dislike him. What irritates me though, is the continual usage of the word "professional" to describe him. Most of the 610 on-air people are professionals who decided to make radio their career; and from listening to Rich (over the years) I really can't say I think he's better than this guy, or that guy. To me, he's somewhat stale. I think 610 could keep him another decade and they would be fine, but if they cut him loose they would still be fine!

A big piece of what I mean by professional is he has a good on-air skill set and for the most part is respectful. A lot of of guys these days act more like shock jocks and they don't know how to command the show. Rich is more polished in technique and his thoughts are more clear - whether someone agrees with them or not. He is just a better communicator.

Just because one gets paid to do something does not mean they act professional. Rich is both.

Yeah, Blue Dogs, but KPRC gets ratings. Meager as they tend to be sometimes, at least they show up. I follow the Arbitron...er well I guess now the Neilsen ratings for Houston monthly, as they are released. In the 7 years KGOW has been KGOW, the station's peak rating was a .2. The station hasn't even shown up in the last 3 ratings periods, and in my worth nothing opinion, is a real piss poor use of a 50 kilowatt station that can be heard from here to Illinois. You couple the lack of measurable ratings with the knowledge that, oh by the way, David Gow also owns the FM sports station 97-5, and yoy begin to wonder if they really have a handle on what's going on within the Gow tower. My Lord, they are competing with themselves having two stations in the same format, and knowing what they shelled out to upgrade 1560 from the little 800 watt stick off of the South Loop it was before Gow bought it, you have to wonder if they are playing with a full deck of cards over there.

I assume the only thing keeping the lights on over there is the national advertising that airs across Y!SR's network. It certainly doesn't appear to be generating much ad dollars locally, given the rarity of a local commercial airing in my various samplings. That is besides the standard Gallery commercial, but can you really count that? Mac is on virtually every station at one point or another.

I listen to them.  I find the coverage via radio better than the majority of anti-Houston team national sports announcers any day.  Besides, I don't stop everything I'm doing just because the Texans are playing.

***who the hell listens to the Texans over the radio anyway? Homeless people that can't afford TVs?***

Good grief! What an elitist you are. Do you really believe that?  Has it ever occurred to you that a good many people - who are NOT homeless - are at work on game day and can't watch on TV?

A lot of people listen out on the road - on the flagship station in and around Houston and on other stations around the state on the Texans radio network. And the radio network reaches a lot of places where the TV network isn't available. And as Arche said in the post after yours, a good many people in all those areas who have other things to do can't put it down to watch on TV. For all those people, radio is their only option. 

I would hazard a guess that the radio audience is about as big as the TV audience, give or take. Radio can be called the "multi-tasking" medium. You can do anything while listening to a game. Well, almost anything.

No smack down necessary. The smiley face never got attached to my original post. It was all tongue and cheek, although I do believe the radio audience is minuscule.

Also, shame on you for for listening to football and not paying attention to your work.  :P

Archived