Global Cities

RedScare

From time to time on this forum, in an array of different topics, the question is asked or the statement is made that Houston is, or will be, or can be a"world class city". Houston is not alone in this thought. I have seen articles in the Dallas Morning News, the Charlotte Observer, Denver, Atlanta, even Raleigh and Columbus, all addressing the issue.

I decided to search the term and found that indeed, it has been addressed worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_city

There is a group called the Globalization and World Cities Study Group & Network, that has tried to define the criteria for being a Global City, as well as ranking the cities of the world based on the criteria. The rank is as follows:

The Alpha (most influential) world cities were divided into two sub-ranks:

12 points: London, New York City, Paris, Tokyo

10 points: Chicago, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Milan, Singapore,

The Beta (major) World Cities are:

9 Points: San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, Zurich

8 Points: Brussels, Madrid, Mexico City, S

in looking at the 10 major bullets they have emphasized, houston is doing pretty good. we have the name recognition courtesy of NASA, we are the energy capitol, we have several international cultures and communities, museums, a large cultural scene, etc.

i think the problem we have is image, many don't realize that we have all these things.

for transportation, it says "advanced transportation system that includes several freeways and/or a large mass transit network offering multiple modes of transportation (subway, light rail, regional rail, ferry, or bus). "

so we're set here, since it says "and/or" and last i checked we do have several freeways. but i don't think that's enough, and we need to improve on mass transit, which is in-work.

tourism is not directly stated, but name recognition, world renowned cultural institutions and lively cultural scene somewhat indirectly relates to tourism (if you have these things, you will have tourism).

How many times (and in how many versions) are we going to re-hash the same question? Residents of real "World Class," "Global," "multi-platinum," "international," or whatever cities aren't obsessed with the answer to this question. . . because they already know they're world class. . .whatever that means to any given person, at any given time. Chances are, if people in cities like Dallas and Houston have to keep asking themselves this same question, then they're NOT. . .at least NOT YET. :)

the point of the post was to spark discussion, which is part of what this forum is about.

the question was not if houston is a world city, according to the site it is considered a minor world city. the question is, what is lacking in the criteria as they define it, and what aspects houston meets and doesn't meet.

previous discussions on this topic have ended up as dallas vs houston wars etc. hopefully this won't be the case here.

quoting 713to214:

if you want it to be the world class city that you incredulously whine about, then expose the bad and DO SOMETHING to make it better

i believe Red's intent (correct me if i'm wrong), is to do exactly this. What criteria do we lack? What can be done?

no matter how great you are, there's always room to question how you can become better. in this case, i think we're right on the edge, so there's definitely plenty of room for discussion regarding this topic.

Considering we have over 70 embassies with offices here, I think we are world class enough in my book. All the different groups of people that come here to work too shows me that we are very worldly.

I also impressed the other cities that are the same point at us. And the ones we are above. This is a very good place to be in if this ranking really matters to someone.

I believe Houston has either a leading presence, or a strong base in most of these criteria. Two areas that need some more work are universities and financial enterprises.

Rice is certainly a world renowned school. The Med Center has some great research facilities. UH can be, with the proper vision and support. Its current fund raising effort will help. It is definitely in the interest of the corporations located here to support it, as well.

Banking is probably Houston's weakest area by far. Texas banking laws prohibited banks from expanding across state lines for decades, stunting their growth. Once it was deregulated, they were simply swallowed by bigger national banks.

Houston has some good support of the arts and museums. However, our street performers, especially the guy downtown with the trumpet, are not even Waco caliber. :(

• 8 months later...
i think the problem we have is image, many don't realize that we have all these things.

I think this is a big part of it. I know a lot of people (myself included) who are transplants here. I knew Houston was big before I moved, but had only heard that it was industrial, crime ridden, a metropolitan ghetto. I had no idea about the strength of the arts community, the green space, the festivals... I only knew about the International Fest from a story on NPR years before. Who knew there were culture fests all year long? Houston will never be a truly great city until the people who live here believe it and get the word out.

I saw a sign the other day that said something like "It's Just $$$. Ask Metro." It slays me that people don't realize you need to invest in your city to better it. They want business in the city? A booming economy? You have to make the city compete. You have to spend $$ to make money....

I think this is a big part of it. I know a lot of people (myself included) who are transplants here. I knew Houston was big before I moved, but had only heard that it was industrial, crime ridden, a metropolitan ghetto. I had no idea about the strength of the arts community, the green space, the festivals... I only knew about the International Fest from a story on NPR years before. Who knew there were culture fests all year long? Houston will never be a truly great city until the people who live here believe it and get the word out.

I saw a sign the other day that said something like "It's Just $$$. Ask Metro." It slays me that people don't realize you need to invest in your city to better it. They want business in the city? A booming economy? You have to make the city compete. You have to spend $$ to make money....

You dont think the economy is booming here?????

You dont think the economy is booming here?????

That's not what I said. People in Houston want these things but don't seem to want to spend money on updating the infrastructure. We need to truly develop as a metro area to bring more business, money and talent, providing economic stability long term.

That being said, I'm not an economist. Not even close. I just believe you reap what you sow. We'll get out of our city what we put in to it- from public transportation to education. It improves the quality of life for all of us.

Considering we have over 70 embassies with offices here, I think we are world class enough in my book. All the different groups of people that come here to work too shows me that we are very worldly.

I also impressed the other cities that are the same point at us. And the ones we are above. This is a very good place to be in if this ranking really matters to someone.

Actually we have 83 foreign consulates in Houston, the 3rd most in the nation.

That is an impressive spot for Houston to be in right now. Just look at the company we would gain with just one more "point." I would agree with most of the ranked list and I like that it's seperated into groups. It may be difficult to rank one city over another but it's conceivable to put them into groups that make sense.

Some I thought would be lower: Frankfurt, Brussels, Minneapolis

Some I thought would be higher: Vancouver, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur

As skwatra noted, tourism is not directly stated but it is certainly implied in these rankings. I knew nothing of Houston before I moved here from Wisconsin other than 1) oil/Enron and 2) Houston, we've had a problem. 3) the sports teams. Not that it's a bad thing but that's what it was. I now know a lot more about the city and the metro area and have found many positive aspects. As a huge fan of trains, I'd love to see more of them connecting the city. It's certainly an expensive procedure (financially and emotionally, in terms of construction affecting business and traffic) but I believe it would really change Houston for the better. Just remember there are no overnight city makeovers. Have a vision, make solid decisions, and then give it an appropriate amount of time to develop. If Houston really wants to be a "alpha" or a "beta" city, it can do it but it will take a couple decades of strong leadership willing to follow the same goals of their predecessor.

That is an impressive spot for Houston to be in right now. Just look at the company we would gain with just one more "point." I would agree with most of the ranked list and I like that it's seperated into groups. It may be difficult to rank one city over another but it's conceivable to put them into groups that make sense.

Some I thought would be lower: Frankfurt, Brussels, Minneapolis

Some I thought would be higher: Vancouver, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur

As skwatra noted, tourism is not directly stated but it is certainly implied in these rankings. I knew nothing of Houston before I moved here from Wisconsin other than 1) oil/Enron and 2) Houston, we've had a problem. 3) the sports teams. Not that it's a bad thing but that's what it was. I now know a lot more about the city and the metro area and have found many positive aspects. As a huge fan of trains, I'd love to see more of them connecting the city. It's certainly an expensive procedure (financially and emotionally, in terms of construction affecting business and traffic) but I believe it would really change Houston for the better. Just remember there are no overnight city makeovers. Have a vision, make solid decisions, and then give it an appropriate amount of time to develop. If Houston really wants to be a "alpha" or a "beta" city, it can do it but it will take a couple decades of strong leadership willing to follow the same goals of their predecessor.

You are a train lover? Funny, the railroads were the thing that got the city started before there was oil :) the Cotton trade and other materials on rail lines. many of those former rail lines are no longer here.....

You are a train lover? Funny, the railroads were the thing that got the city started before there was oil :) the Cotton trade and other materials on rail lines. many of those former rail lines are no longer here.....

You bet. I love me the trains. I've done a few cross-country trips on Amtrak and just love it. Going via train is very relaxing but you have to accept the travel time is part of the vacation, unlike say air travel, which is an absolute burden.

Of course, what we're talking about here is train travel WITHIN a metro area. Different animal entirely.

That's not what I said. People in Houston want these things but don't seem to want to spend money on updating the infrastructure. We need to truly develop as a metro area to bring more business, money and talent, providing economic stability long term.

That being said, I'm not an economist. Not even close. I just believe you reap what you sow. We'll get out of our city what we put in to it- from public transportation to education. It improves the quality of life for all of us.

Applause, Applause! You must have taken a look at my tag-line. ;)