Village Plaza At Bunker Hill Shopping Center At 9710 Katy Fwy.

texasdago

• 4 weeks later...

Received the following email. For what it's worth....

Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 11:34 AM

Subject: PLEASE be careful at the new HEB: I was robbed Thursday

As you know, I was robbed and my car was vandalized last Thursday at the HEB off of Bunker Hill and the Katy Freeway. It was traumatizing. I've been hiding away all weekend. I was walking back to my car and a woman came running after me saying that some black guys were about to crow bar my car. As she was telling me this, they drove back around, smashed my windows, reached in so fast and sped off with my purse. We were standing about 15 feet away. This lady was a God-send b/c she ran after the car and got their license. I stood there and couldn't breathe. I can't describe the gut drenching feeling in my stomach as I saw them drive away with my bag. It all happened so fast....less than 5 seconds I feel. God was with me though b/c out of all of the bags that they could have grabbed quickly, they grabbed the one of least value. Granted, it had all my ID and credit cards in there, but the bag next to it was my laptop and the money box for the co-op. Angels were with me....no joke.

I don't recommend going to the HEB at all. When the cops came, they said I was the 3rd case of the day....from different assaulters. Not to mention, that HEB has been cutting down on security b/c of the holidays. This happened at 12:35 in the afternoon, and security was not required to be there until 4 PM. To top it ALL off, as we were doing my police report, ANOTHER woman walks up and says she wants to file a police report b/c the following week her purse was jacked from her in the same parking lot. The day after (Friday) an old woman was abducted from this lot.

I am telling EVERYONE not to shop there b/c it is clearly not safe. Please simply head to another location for your safety. I cannot tell you how truly fearful I am of my identity theft. They have my address and tried to charge my card in different states already.

Thank you for reading this, and please be careful.

Hugs,

Ok, I just got off the phone with the store Manager over there. I have gotten so I drop into that store, even though it's a monster, to pick up a few things before carpool. I always take these mailers with a grain of salt.

Yes, there was a car break-in. The woman who wrote this email left her purse and her laptop on the front seat of her car and walked away. You don't do that anywhere in this town and expect NOT to be a victim of crime. sheesh. From reading that email several times, she glossed over that part of her story, taking NO accountability. Women get watched at grocery stores all the time. Pay two bucks and have a bagger go with you, no matter what store.

Two, there was no abduction. Her crime was the only crime last week at that store.

Anyway, just thought I would pass that along. The store has increased security and has fielded over 100 phone calls because of this letter, which could be considered somewhat slanderous in my opinion.

Please pass this on to anyone who sends you this email. You don't punish a store for your own, hate to say it, stupidity. I'm sorry she was a victim of crime, but you don't leave temptation lying out in a big city. And now in a big city in a country that is failing and laying off people left and right.

Edited by KatieDidIt

Let's NOT play blame the victim here, okay? I know it makes us all feel better to do so, as it allows us to get too comfy in thinking that it couldn't have happen to us, because we'd be ever so much more careful. But that's delusional, dangerous malarkey. It can and does happen to anyone, including people who are cautious and even those who super-humanly always do the right things.

There only two places to point the finger of blame in these situations: One is at the asshats who commit the crimes, and other is at the entities whcih fail to provide proper protection and security.

I'm not going to feed any hysteria into this particular topic. But I will tell you this for certain: That "manager" either doesn't know everything that's happened in his parking lot recently or he is lying to you. In either case, discussing the reality of the incidents with randomly-calling customers is a serious breach of policy and security.

Let's NOT play blame the victim here, okay?

There only two places to point the finger of blame in these situations: One is at the asshats who commit the crimes, and other is at the entities whcih fail to provide proper protection and security.

Well, which is it?

If you're going to leave a purse, laptop, Sacks bag, etc in plain view inside your car, you're not without blame.

And finding fault in her for leaving her purse in plain view to encourage a smash-and-grab has nothing to do with thinking that it couldn't happen to us. In fact, I would argue that the folks who do find fault in doing such a thing, would probably be the first to blame themselves if the same were to happen to them. I know I would.

And further to your post above, I think there's a forth group of individuals to blame too, and that would be those that place an overreliance on the goverment to protect them.

So, one shouldn't take personal responsibility? Interesting. But that is the way America is going lately.

No one deserves to be a victim of crime. Being cautious doesn't prevent you from being a victim of crime. But putting yourself in a situation that invites crime, and expecting it not to happen or expecting others to protect you, is absurd.

Our country is in sad shape when others expect to be provided for and kept secure at all times. I am sure she is going to sue for "mental pain and suffering" soon. Please, makes me sick.

If you leave your laptop and a purse in plain sight, you are just asking for someone to take from you. I tell people to keep purses and laptops aways from windows in ones home. You never know who might be lurking around at night, peering into your home.

Have you ever been a victim of a smash with nothing in the vehicle to grab? I have, TWICE. And a third time, they systematically dismantled my built-in stereo system, which had actually been installed with extra security features. They didn't get it out, but they did one helluva lot of damage trying!

The bottom line is, these hoodlums are going to do this stuff no matter what you do or don't leave in your vehicle and it IS going to cost you big $$ and a bunch of your sense of personal well-being and confidence, everytime it happens We shouldn't have to live in a world of going around looking over our shoulders every minute. It sucks the quality of life right out of us. That's not living in civilization, it's living in anarchy.

Carrying on about what someone should or shouldn't have done to avoid being a victim only serves to distract from the fact that these asshats are doing it in the first place and that no one is doing anything to stop them. Shifting the blame to the victim doesn't solve squat and it doesn't stop the crime from happening.

You want to talk personal responsibility on most any issue, fine I'm there! But NOT when it comes to crime. Sorry, if a person is lawfully going about their business and is a victim of a crime, it is not the victim's fault, period! Asserting that it in any way is, is effectively victimizing them twice and I won't be party to that...and for the sake of a civilized society, neither should you. Put the focus where it belongs!

Edited by GettaClue

Have you ever been a victim of a smash with nothing in the vehicle to grab?

Actually, I have.

In college my car was stollen from the apartment complex I lived in at the time. I did not blame myself or the apartment management. The fact is, everyone likes to find someone to blame. It is easier than admitting you are at fault.

I just think common sense dictates certain steps people can take to mitigate the likelihood of becoming a victim. I just happen to believe that leaving your purse on, let's say, the seat of your car in a parking lot, is not very smart.

I feel a sense of obligation, as a responsible citizen, to eliminate within reason the chances of myself being a victim of crimes of opportunity. I leave my garage door closed at night, lock car doors, etc.

For example, if I leave town for a couple of days and leave my garage door open only to find upon my return that I've had tools, etc stolen, I accept partial responsibility for it occurring. I certainly don't place all the blame on the police department, etc. for preventing it from occurring.

But maybe that's just me.

Actually, I have.

In college my car was stollen from the apartment complex I lived in at the time. I did not blame myself or the apartment management. The fact is, everyone likes to find someone to blame. It is easier than admitting you are at fault.

Blame should be placed when it comes to crime, squarely on the shoulders of the perpetrator! That's how we ultimately get handle on this kind of stuff and change things. It's not enough to say, "Oh well, nobody's fault!' Or "My fault, I guess shouldn't own a car or anything else someone else might want to take!" That's nothing more than apathy at best, and things only spiral downhill from there.

And blame needs to be placed on the backs of our local police and sherriff depts., and the governmental agencies whcih don't adequately fund them on whatever levels. Citizens should reasonably expect that their community will be actively patrolled, that their calls for help will be answered in a timely manner, that their reported crimes will be effectively investigated and that they will be treated with respect. We need to demand that. If we don't, we'll only get more of what we have now, and worse.

Edited by GettaClue

I just think common sense dictates certain steps people can take to mitigate the likelihood of becoming a victim. I just happen to believe that leaving your purse on, let's say, the seat of your car in a parking lot, is not very smart.

I feel a sense of obligation, as a responsible citizen, to eliminate within reason the chances of myself being a victim of crimes of opportunity. I leave my garage door closed at night, lock car doors, etc.

For example, if I leave town for a couple of days and leave my garage door open only to find upon my return that I've had tools, etc stolen, I accept partial responsibility for it occurring. I certainly don't place all the blame on the police department, etc. for preventing it from occurring.

But maybe that's just me.

Stupidity or ignorance or forgetfulness are not crimes in and of themselves. We shouldn't penalize those very human traits merely because it's easier than holding the bad guys accountable.

Look, no one is saying that it's smart to stand on the freeway with a sign that says, "HEY DRUNKS, HIT ME!" But whether you do or whether you don't, you can still get killed on the freeway, in your car or out of it, by drunks, by inattentive people, or by somebody who just could not stop in time.

The world is a scary place and we should certainly do whatever we reasonably can to protect ourselves. But when we can't or don't, for whatever the reason, we shouldn't be called to account for it while the acts of the perpetrators are minimized and even virtually excused. That's how we as a society become acclimated and accepting of crime as something normal and to be expected. And when we come to see something as normal and to be expected, then we have no reason to do whatever it takes to change it, either.

Edited by GettaClue

And blame needs to be placed on the backs of our local police and sherriff depts., and the governmental agencies whcih don't adequately fund them on whatever levels.

Good luck on getting your friends and neighbors in Harris County to accept 'blame' for voting against tax increases.

Edited by crunchtastic

Good luck on getting your friends and neighbors in Harris County to accept 'blame' for voting against tax increases.

Our society has a long history of being penny wise and pound foolish. Further proof positive that we don't necessarily need a gun to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Have you ever been a victim of a smash with nothing in the vehicle to grab?

A friend of mine in college had a truck that had no window on the passenger side. Stupid criminals busted out the other window in an attempt to steal the radio. He wound up with no windows on either side.

Well it appears Circuit City will not be opening now...

I did not know this, but it was to be the first one in Houston branded as "The City" I went to the 6-10 West location yesterday to shop, and they had bags that said "The City" instead of "Circuit City". They said they sent all the inventory from the Bunkerhill location to this one since it never opened.

I have read about a prototype store being called that, but was the sign they hung above the new store reflective upon this name change?

The logo, for the sake of CC, looks identical, so it is easy to miss, with City being the larger of the two words.

I did not know this, but it was to be the first one in Houston branded as "The City" I went to the 6-10 West location yesterday to shop, and they had bags that said "The City" instead of "Circuit City". They said they sent all the inventory from the Bunkerhill location to this one since it never opened.

I have read about a prototype store being called that, but was the sign they hung above the new store reflective upon this name change?

The logo, for the sake of CC, looks identical, so it is easy to miss, with City being the larger of the two words.

I had not heard this either, but appears you're right. I've seen the sign, but didn't notice any difference.

http://www.frpltd.com/property/west_villageplaza_NEW.htm

village_plaza3_lg.jpg

A friend of mine in college had a truck that had no window on the passenger side. Stupid criminals busted out the other window in an attempt to steal the radio. He wound up with no windows on either side.

I heard they caught the perps. They were laid-off employees of the Echo Lane Kroger.

Okay, I kid.

The only reason that people are scared to go to this HEB is because they have heard, through hear-say, about some crime that has happened in the parking lot. Does everyone realize how much crime goes on that we never hear about? It can go unreported to the police, or even if a police report is filed most people don't blast out e-mails or talk to the media about it. I think we would all be scared to go anywhere if we really knew how much crime goes on. And to the folks that think a security guard or the government is going to protect you at all times: you have a lot to learn.

I'd just like to say that the Cuban tacos at El Rey are proof of the existence of God, andI'm thrilled it's closer to home now. That is all.

Wait...one more thing...when does Freebird's open? I haven't seen any signage there that this is opening up there.

• 3 weeks later...

I drove around in the Village Plaza at Bunker Hill after shopping at HEB today. I noticed some progress being made toward opening some more of the restaurants, etc. They have started the Petsmart which is right next to the Circuit City. (Wonder what will happen to that building?) There was a giant moving van in front of the Circuit City and two guys looked like they were waiting for someone to come let them in so they could move stuff out - maybe fixtures? The HEB will have a few shops with separate entrances along the front of the store. One sign that I noticed was for a Nail/Spa thing. The Academy is complete and looks like it may open soon. Directly out toward the freeway from Academy will be the Freebirds, on the end of one of the retail strips. They have the permits in the window and there was a sign on the feeder announcing hiring and opening soon. Next to Freebirds in another Nail/Spa thing. I think it was called Bora Bora. The Olive Garden is pretty much finished on the outside and is located out in front of Academy but not entirely visible from feeder. The Olive Garden on Gessner has a big sign in the lobby showing the inside decor and drawings of the new building. Opening in June I think. The Denny's and the Five Guys and Fries Hamburger place both have their permanent signs up now. Once all these restaurants and retail open this is going to be one crowded parking lot!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'd just like to say that the Cuban tacos at El Rey are proof of the existence of God, andI'm thrilled it's closer to home now. That is all.

Wait...one more thing...when does Freebird's open? I haven't seen any signage there that this is opening up there.

Freebirds already open and the feeding frenzy has commenced! Passed by Denny's and they had signs up that "training was in progress" Appears that Bunker Hill Plaza is turning into FAST FOOD PLAZA