Is It Me Or Is There More Graffiti?

Is it me or am I not the only one noticing an uptick in the amount of graffiti?

Living in the Heights, I am, to a certain extent, used to it. Someone mentioned it on another thread a month ago, and at the time I just chalked it up as a seasonal thing, it being summer with all the kids out of school. Over the past month I seem to be seeing more and more all over the Heights, Montrose and Midtown.

Guest danax

I am in the Heights/Rice Military a lot and yes, there has been more lately. Usually it's vacant buildings or fences but now some of the even nicer buildings are ate up with it.

What's with this one I've seen at several locations with the star of David, and "November" all over it. Some kind of terrorist warning?

I tried googling graffiti in Houston and came across a blog that said, under Mayor Brown, Houston had a graffiti abatement team, and that Mayor White recently nixed it which is why we are seeing more of it. Does anyone know if this is true?

Seems to me like it's increasing all over the city. I've seen a lot more of it on the freeways on signs and bridges than there used to be. Damn deliquents with too much time and not enough sense to find something productive to do with it messing up our city...

Sadly, none of the graffiti is any good.

The grey building across the street from Diedrich's on Westheimer has been tagged and it's horrible. Bunch of scribbles and no art. Sad, sad... they should be using the spray paint to get high instead of tagging.

Guest danax
Seems to me like it's increasing all over the city. I've seen a lot more of it on the freeways on signs and bridges than there used to be. Damn deliquents with too much time and not enough sense to find something productive to do with it messing up our city...

As for the Heights/Rice Military, I wonder if the increase has anything to do with gentrification pressures; the desperate wails of cornered young beasts watching their territory get erased and remade block by block.

That section between I-10 and Washington is losing it's ghettos faster than Brazil's jungles and now only small, isolated patches remain.

• 3 weeks later...

Our beautiful, new work-of-art 59 freeway has been tagged big time. A real design gaffe when they made the exit sign and lighting poles at an easy climbing angle.

Is city hall just without ideas as to how to catch them? Come on, Mayor White, Stop Trashing Houston should include a plan for catching graffitists. I propose we install hidden closed-circuit cameras and an invisible laser trip-alarm so that HPD will be alerted as soon as the ascent begins.

Then, a fitting punishment. If they have a nice car, anyone who desires can tag it while it sits in impound for a month. Then since they crave recognition, publish their name, address and photo on a city website. Or maybe put them on rat-hunting duty as community service in our downtown parks during the graveyard shift.

Well to bring it all home, the back of my brand new 7' fence was just graffitied. I live against Mason Creek which makes it a little tempting but "holy crap", didn't I move out here to escape things like this.

Where did you think the kids doing the spray painting come from?

Boredom+Suburbia=Stoned Teenagers Stealing and Spraypainting

Archived