New Tallest Building In America Proposed

Hate to continue my pessimistic streak - but Id be highly suprised if this thing ever gets off the ground.

I give it about a 40% chance. That's an improvement over my previous estimation, and was caused by the series of ads that the developer put in this Sunday's Chicago Tribune. Often when buildings are announced that never get built, the developer just coasts along on the free publicity because money is so tight they can't afford to do any of their own. But yesterday there was a full-color full-page ad in the Tribune's real estate section in the space where Trump's ad usually goes. It said the sales office is now open, and gave an address that corresponds to one of the developer's other skyscrapers. I may pop by there on Thursday, if I remember, to see what it's like.

At one time, another Chicago building called the Merchandise Mart was the world's largest building in terms of square feet.  4,200,000.  It was surpassed by the Pentagon with 6,500,000 square feet.  I don't know if that's been beaten yet.  Of course, you can't rent space in the Pentagon, but office space is office space.  The Merchandise Mart has a pretty good track record for occupancy.  It's usually near 90% or better until recently when the Chicago Transit Authority moved out because there wasn't any more room for it to expand.  It's not unusual for large Chicago buildings to have their own post offices (Hancock Center, Aon Center, etc...) or grocery stores (Hancock Center, Park Tower, and others...) but Merchandise Mart is the only office building other than the Pentagon that I know of that has its own ZIP code.

MerchandiseMart-004.jpg

The Mall in America in Minnesota also has it's own zip code if I recall. And, um, I think it has retail there as well.

55425 is a general purpose ZIP code used for parts of both Bloomington, MN and Minneapolis. I have very fond memories of the MOA. My wife used to work there. She won't go back anymore since they closed down the "Great Minnesota State Fair" fried cheese kiosk.

It's not unusual for large Chicago buildings to have their own post offices (Hancock Center, Aon Center, etc...) or grocery stores (Hancock Center, Park Tower, and others...) but Merchandise Mart is the only office building other than the Pentagon that I know of that has its own ZIP code.

MerchandiseMart-004.jpg

CNN Center in Atlanta has it's own zip code.

Archived