Rail May Spare Homes

From the article: "Regardless of what route is chosen, he said, the decision must be made by Nov. 1 to stay within federal funding schedules and ensure the line is completed by 2012."

2012?! 2012!? I can't wait that long! If they can build a 20-someodd lane freeway system by 2009, I'd better see some LR results before or right about then. :angry: I wish I knew why they still refuse to make this an elevated track. Or maybe a track that runs under/next to 59? I don't see how we benefit from a ground LR, save for the cleansing of the gene pool.

I'm not crazy about the separate lines being 4 to 5 blocks apart. A person living north of the Richmond line may have a 2 block walk to the Richmond station, but a 7 block walk to Westpark. The net result would be that no one is close to both lines and would not use it.

Maybe I misunderstood, Red.. But I just sort of assumed that, for each railline, there was a different direction. As in, Westpark would be west-bound only and Richmond would be east-bound only. The Galleria tail would be a turn-around point, naturally. I dunno.. I'm sure it says somewhere, but I'm sort of lazy/busy. :P

The people who live in Afton Oaks seem to have more political muscle than the folks who live in the East End-go figure! The people who live along Harrisburg (and other streets in poorer neighborhoods) have been screaming at the top of their lungs for the past several weeks about how they would rather have light rail than buses. Doesn't Metro realize that the poorer folks keep the bus and rail systems afloat? Why does Metro continue to cater to the small groups of wealthy people who rarely ride the bus or train? The one thing both groups have in common is they both were lied to by Metro. Also, I hope we do not have to wait until 2012! I don't know about everyone else but, I can't wait that long! Maybe the best solution would be for Metro to open the East and West routes in different years. I am sure you could have one part of the line open before the second part is finished, as long as it is connected to Wheeler Station.

Maybe I misunderstood, Red.. But I just sort of assumed that, for each railline, there was a different direction. As in, Westpark would be west-bound only and Richmond would be east-bound only. The Galleria tail would be a turn-around point, naturally. I dunno.. I'm sure it says somewhere, but I'm sort of lazy/busy.  :P

Yeah, that's my point, Kirz. If westbound on Richmond is 5 blocks away from eastbound on Westpark, and you live 3-4 blocks south of Westpark, you got a hell of a walk to get to the Richmond station.

Yeah, that's my point, Kirz.  If westbound on Richmond is 5 blocks away from eastbound on Westpark, and you live 3-4 blocks south of Westpark, you got a hell of a walk to get to the Richmond station.

Yeah, ok.. Maybe they'll bring back the trolleys? (Yeah, right.)

i thought it was split as well (westbound richmond, eastbound westpark) at first, but after rereading the article i think 19514 is right-

so the choices are to go all the way down westpark, which is not preferred by metro because of low ridership predictions.

the other option is to go west down richmond and turn south at either timmons, weslayan, or just after that to avoid the afton oaks neighborhood.

the east and westbound will be together, not split by several blocks in this proposal. but we shouldn't spend too much time on this cause it'll just change 10 more times.

I think y'all are right. The "split" that they refer to is part of the route on Richmond, then drop to Weslayan. It is a bad term to use, but the tracks will be side by side.

Good to see that some people suggested going north to Westheimer. This would take the rail through the most homes AND businesses. Hopefully, Metro's studies show this to be the best.

Yeah, the last leg on westheimer would mean that Highland Village, Mid Lane, and a large part of Uptown will get to use the rail. The only thing is that I though they wanted to end the line by I-610 and US-59 for a future extention?

Guest danax

Alabama seems like a good spot for rail, not exciting maybe but fairly central and picturesque and within walking distance to Westheimer.

" The people who live along Harrisburg (and other streets in poorer neighborhoods) have been screaming at the top of their lungs for the past several weeks about how they would rather have light rail than buses. Doesn't Metro realize that the poorer folks keep the bus and rail systems afloat? "

The bus systems, NOT the rail systems. The rail systems in Houston are built for higher-income commuters.

However, the lower income people may be served by rail if/once it goes to UH and/or Hobby Airport.

" The people who live along Harrisburg (and other streets in poorer neighborhoods) have been screaming at the top of their lungs for the past several weeks about how they would rather have light rail than buses. Doesn't Metro realize that the poorer folks keep the bus and rail systems afloat? "

The bus systems, NOT the rail systems. The rail systems in Houston are built for higher-income commuters.

However, the lower income people may be served by rail if/once it goes to UH and/or Hobby Airport.

Most of the people I see on the train are a mixture of both higher and lower-income people. I would guess most are middle to low-income people. If you recall, the routes along Main And Fannin were integrated into the rail line. Many of the people who used the busses that traveled down both those streets were students and low-income people. They are the same people that now ride the train. The exception is the people who work in the Medical center (between Dryden & Medical Center Transit Center) that ride the train. I live within walking distance of the Ensemble/HCC station. I sometimes catch the 65 (to Brazos Bookstore), 25 (to the Galleria), and Bellaire (to Chinatown) at Wheeler. Most of the people who ride on those buses transfer from the

train to the bus, and vice versa.

BTW, does anyone think a line down Bellaire would be a good idea? Also, I believe having the University line go down Westheimer through Highland Village would be awesome! Alabama Street is just too small and compact.

Vic, I don't know where you got that idea. The "higher income" people of whom you speak, voted AGAINST rail altogether. If not for the "people who live along Harrisburg", as well as our 3rd and 5th Ward friends, we wouldn't be having these discussions about where rail lines should go. Rail supporters, and Metro itself, owe these lower income transit riders a debt of gratitude for supporting and passing the referendum that upper income folks are now trying to hijack.

"BTW, does anyone think a line down Bellaire would be a good idea? Also, I believe having the University line go down Westheimer through Highland Village would be awesome! Alabama Street is just too small and compact. "

A Bellaire line to Sharpstown and Chinatown sounds like a good idea.

Would a Meyerland and Westbury route work too?

"Vic, I don't know where you got that idea. The "higher income" people of whom you speak, voted AGAINST rail altogether. If not for the "people who live along Harrisburg", as well as our 3rd and 5th Ward friends, we wouldn't be having these discussions about where rail lines should go. Rail supporters, and Metro itself, owe these lower income transit riders a debt of gratitude for supporting and passing the referendum that upper income folks are now trying to hijack."

Where are demographics of people who voted for and against?

I wasn't talking about people who actually would use the rail line. I'm talking about people who are targeted by METRO.

From the Houston Chronicle: (archived article)

"The referendum passed with 52 percent of the vote.

About 74 percent of low-income blacks and 80 percent of middle-income blacks voted for the Metro light rail plan.

So did 57 percent of Hispanics, compared with 45 percent of middle-income whites and 42 percent of upper-income whites."

I wonder if it also has to do with whether or not someone's family was in the city for generations or if he or she is a transplant from the north (my mom and dad were born in Philadelphia).

My mom is very pro-rail and I use it regularly.

The Bellaire corridor has traditionally been one of METRO's (if not THE highest) ridership corridor. Putting a rail line down Bellaire (and eliminating bus trips that would essentially duplicate service) would be very successful if scheduled and designed properly.

I have no clue why Westheimer or Bellaire weren't given more consideration during those preliminary route selections back in 2003.

Have plans been released regarding placement (frequency) of stations?

One of the complaints about the Red Line has been the frequent stops, which slow the average speed of the train. While more stations mean more neighborhoods are being served, it could hardly be called rapid transit.

Metro will have to arrive at some compromise - rapid service to the Galleria, or serving the neighborhoods through which it passes.

Have plans been released regarding placement (frequency) of stations?

One of the complaints about the Red Line has been the frequent stops, which slow the average speed of the train.

The Bellaire corridor has traditionally been one of METRO's (if not THE highest) ridership corridor. Putting a rail line down Bellaire (and eliminating bus trips that would essentially duplicate service) would be very successful if scheduled and designed properly.

I have no clue why Westheimer or Bellaire weren't given more consideration during those preliminary route selections back in 2003.

I think Westheimer gets ruled out because there are too many businesses along the street, too many cars exiting on and off. It would be a traffic nightmare, especially at the lower end, where you have those curves. Cars rule Westheimer.

As far as Bellaire, it would be a nice route, but wouldn't get the ridership of a Greenspoint/Galleria line. What are the major employment centers (outside of TMC)? With the Richmond line, you also have a golden opportunity to extend it someday out to Westchase - Metro owns ROW down Westpark that has minimal traffic interference.

Let's face it, Richmond was made for rail. When they built the road eighty years ago they thought they were making it for cars, but Allah intended it all along for rail.

Congress passed the new transportation bill today.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/politics/3288101

This article doesn't say so, but Channel 13 reported that Houston will get $10 million for buses (BRT?), $200 million for rail, and a $324 million reimbursement for its investment in the original LRT line. That's $534 million toward the $1 billion sought over 10 years. Not too shabby.

July 29, 2005, 11:54PM

Metro stands to receive $1 billion over a decade

Agency praises Congress' cooperation on transit bill

By RAD SALLEE

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Metro says it got all it wanted and then some in a transportation bill Congress passed Friday, including authorization for at least $245 million toward its revised transit plan featuring rail and guided busways.

Houston Chronicle Article

Archived