METRO Considering Doubling Toll Prices, Making 3 Person HOV Requirement

Metro operates the lanes, which are free for car poolers, and opens them to solo, toll-paying drivers during certain hours under an agreement with the Federal Transit Administration. The agreement requires speeds in the lanes to stay at or above 45 mph, a mark some of the lanes haven't hit in more than a year.

Raising toll lane prices is a valid solution, Metro board member Christof Spieler said during a recent discussion with other board members. Spieler said it is possible Metro could better control use with a hefty toll increase during peak times.

"Maybe we don't raise tolls by a $1," he said. "Maybe we double them."

Other ways to reduce use could be requiring car pool users to have three or more people in the vehicle. The current minimum is two.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-traffic/article/Metro-looking-to-lower-traffic-in-reversible-lanes-4997516.php?cmpid=btfpm

I would much prefer that they raise the toll to obscene levels (but keep it an option) than remove it entirely and require multi-occupant. I never use it... but like knowing that i could if I was completely screwed for time.

Whatever threads the fine line of speed I suppose

Edited by Slick Vik

Always looking for ways to nickel and dime us.

Heh, I read this right after your post in the Chinese thread, where you suggested that the government make driving more expensive for the Chinese people. 

As we are facing a similar problem here, you do not like the exact solution you suggested in the other thread.  Ironic lol. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to METRO Considering Doubling Toll Prices, Making 3 Person HOV Requirement