Park Place Elementary School At 8235 Park Place Blvd.

Ashikaga

I attended Kindergarten at Park Place Elementary school from 1963-64.  Is it still there?  Does anyone have a photo of it?

Chet Cuccia

Still there..but probably not as you remember it. It was rebuilt and expanded several years back. HISD bought up a lot of the nearby homes and closed off part of Joplin.

Check out the info on the current classes here:

Park Place Elementary Home Page

Here are two pictures of the new design from the architect, SHW

es5_1.jpg

es5_4.jpg

Sorry, couldn't locate a pic of the old buildings.

Still there..but probably not as you remember it.  It was rebuilt and expanded several years back.  HISD bought up a lot of the nearby homes and closed off part of Joplin.

Check out the info on the current classes here:

Park Place Elementary Home Page

Here are two pictures of the new design from the architect, SHW

es5_1.jpg

es5_4.jpg

Sorry, couldn't locate a pic of the old buildings.

Thank you. Yes, I would think that after over 40 years old buildings would be torn down and replaced. Like I said, I only attended Kindergarten there. We moved away from Houston in the summer of 1964 and we never moved back. We visited a few times when we would go to the zoo or to Astroworld.

Chet Cuccia

You know as well as I do that life is full of "what ifs."  I really wonder how my life would have turned out if we had stayed in Houston.  I know that it would be different.  But I don't know if that difference would have been postive or negative.  But I'm almost certain that I wouldn't be doing what I am now, unemployed, on a computer in a public library.

I have a current street map of Houston.  Do you know off hand the names of the streets that Deady and Milby were on?  I'd like to see how far away they were from where I lived (#8 West Court Drive).

Chet Cuccia

Deady is at 2500 Broadway St. and Milby is at 1601 Broadway St. :) And I also went to both of them.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I attended Park Place Elementary in 1965.

Then Deady, then Milby.

Graduated from U of H.

What year did you graduate from Milby? My wife and I graduated from Milby in 1977. She went to Deady Jr. High and I went to Jackson Jr. High. We both graduated from U of H, her in 1982 and me in 1981.

• 4 months later...
Milby had right around 5000 at its peak back in 1993 or so. I was working at the Kroger's on Red Bluff and Preston in Pasadena when I took a break and picked up the paper. I remember reading an article in the paper regarding big high schools. It was the 5 largest high school in the United States.

I just read that now the two biggest 5A high schools in Texas are Plano East and Converse Judson. I have no idea where Converse Judson is. I would have attended Milby had I not moved away. I read that it's the oldest high school in Houston. One day I want to take a "sentimental journey" and look at the current Park Place Elementary School. The way that I understand it, there are no remnants of the old one that I went to back in the early 1960s.

• 4 months later...
I attended Park Place Elementary in 1965.

Then Deady, then Milby.

Graduated from U of H.

I found my kindergarten class photo from Park Place Elementary School, class of 1963-64. Maybe someone out there recognizes some of these five-year-olds from over four decades ago.

post-3393-1186438347.jpg

Edited by northbeaumont

Milby had right around 5000 at its peak back in 1993 or so. I was working at the Kroger's on Red Bluff and Preston in Pasadena when I took a break and picked up the paper. I remember reading an article in the paper regarding big high schools. It was the 5 largest high school in the United States.

It turns out Milby's peak was 3,567 students in 1992.

Here is what I found: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...536/school.aspx

Notice the major population decline in 2001 and 2002 due to the opening of Ch

Edited by VicMan

I found my kindergarten class photo from Park Place Elementary School, class of 1963-64. Maybe someone out there recognizes some of these five-year-olds from over four decades ago.

The only kids i recognize are northbeaumont, ashikaga, and chet.

btw, do you remember the significance of the doll in front center?

The only kids i recognize are northbeaumont, ashikaga, and chet.

btw, do you remember the significance of the doll in front center?

^lol

regarding the creepy doll, i wonder if it was one of the kids' - in this picture, the "Nadine" has a large doll (but the other kids have them, too...)

http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/images/muir32b.jpg

Edited by sevfiv

^lol

regarding the creepy doll, i wonder if it was one of the kids' - in this picture, the "Nadine" has a large doll (but the other kids have them, too...)

that is an interesting photo. a lot of the kids have dolls. i wonder if it is an old practice that slowly faded out?

the one in the park place photo looks like the girl holding it. I wonder why she has a life size doll of herself and the other kids don't

Edited by gnu

that is an interesting photo. a lot of the kids have dolls. i wonder if it is an old practice that slowly faded out?

the one in the park place photo looks like the girl holding it. I wonder why she has a life size doll of herself and the other kids don't

I think that the doll belonged to the photographer and he told the girl to hold it.

^lol

This wouldn't download. Maybe it's the ISP of this computer.

I think that the doll belonged to the photographer and he told the girl to hold it.

This wouldn't download. Maybe it's the ISP of this computer.

strange (about the doll).

i think the linked web site might have gotten upset about too many people looking at the photo :P

I may not have known them buy possibly their younger bros and sisters. Everyone knew each other in them days.

I have a strong feeling the girl with the doll had to be what else? teacher's pet! so they had to let her place in pic. At 1st I thought it might be a Mrs Beasley doll ala "Family Affair" but it debuted about 3 years later. Mrs Beasley dolls were hideous. We kids were always afraid of it. :blink:

Here's a real shocker for me. I found all of my report cards from Kindergarten 1966 - High School 1979.

I even have my Deady Jr High summer school report card! Yikes!

Maybe this topic should go in East End? Might get more replies.