Midtown Medical Center At 1400 Gray St. & 3808 Main St.

Subdude

Houston Retail, didn't you once say that you were trying to persuade the landowner to put something else at the Main/Alabama location? As far as I can tell, a medical building at this location is bad news for hopes of an exciting urban neighborhood.

Does anybody know anything about progress on the Days Inn conversion to a veterans' rehab shelter?

And since it seems to loosely fit in with what we're discussing, how about Metro's plans to put a mixed-use development at the Main/Wheeler stop?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houston Retail, didn't you once say that you were trying to persuade the landowner to put something else at the Main/Alabama location?  As far as I can tell, a medical building at this location is bad news for hopes of an exciting urban neighborhood.

Does anybody know anything about progress on the Days Inn conversion to a veterans' rehab shelter?

And since it seems to loosely fit in with what we're discussing, how about Metro's plans to put a mixed-use development at the Main/Wheeler stop?

It's about a 3 minute walk from where I live to Main/Alabama, and I'm just fine with the medical building plan. It sure beats the vacant lot that's there now, and I assume that the people who will be employed there will want to eat lunch. I hope that it spurs more restaurants in the area; we could use them.

I don't know what's going on at the old Day's Inn. Haven't noticed any ill effects on the neighborhood.

re: Main/Wheel and METRO. How come getting from the Red Line to the 25 Richmond bus is so awkward? Typical Metro stupidity; no signs, and there's not a stop on Wheeler between Fannin and Main. This ought to be a seamless transition. Currently, you have to negotiate a vast wasteland to find the closest bus stop.

I am not as excited about the building on Main.  In my opinion, I would like to see Main lined with retail and/or residential in midtown. Medical buildings along Main belong in the medical center.  But in Houston it is first come first serve in terms of land use.

You do need some diversity. It's unrealistic to have an entire street with the length of Main to be "lined with retail." Not every building has to have retail on the ground floor, because if they did, then there would be a massive surplus of retail space that would only serve to drive vacancy rates up.

• 1 month later...

Just curious...is anything in the works for the block off Webster between La Branch and Austin? It is basically just an empty lot with lots of great trees.

Just curious. I heard a long time ago that it was going to be a Walgreens. I think it might be a good spot for a midrise apartment/condo building...

• 2 weeks later...
i still can't visualize that area? what's over there now? sigificant building, store or restaraunt?

One block is vacant with some little old broken down service station. The other block is a old blue building that was an old engineering firm. Both have been unoccupied for some time now. It will be a great improvement. It will also be blocks from the St. Joseph's hospital.

I saw a new construction sign today, with a  rendering fo one of the towers. The thing is, that the sign is on the block just south of Julia's Bistro (Main @ W. Alabama). What gives??

There are two being built...one on the corner of alabama/main and one at labranch/gray...that's my understanding per the article in the HBJ.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Has anyone heard any updates as to when construction is to start on this, or has the project momentum slowed?  I hope it's still progressing, I'm most optimistic about what this will do for the area.

I've heard from sources close to this deal that it's pretty much dead in the water. I wish I could disclose the source, but I can't.

Talk to me, HR!  I've been so excited about this project and think it'll do so much for the area.  Is it still on?  I hope so!

I see a lot signs proclaiming "Coming Soon" in midtown, but the only thing I can see being constructed is the new Walgreens by Specs. Nifty. Can't wait for another pharmacy.