Houston Weather

It doesn't get cold except Feb. Other then that June-Sept is rainy season (Hurricane Season) and VERY VERY VERY HOT!

Nov-Jan-pleasant!!! :) well supposed to be. Huricane season is over, people up north freezing @$$ off and we're walking around in shorts.

Feb-June: Moderate weather

Unlike most states, and even many regions of Texas, it's fairly unusual for the temperature to dip below 32 degrees even at night in winter. It happens a few times, and people are encouraged to bring in their potted plants, but it's more of a curiosity than an annoyance. Some years, January is the best time to be in Houston.

Um. I didn't know what winter was until I moved to Michigan (after 9 years of living in Texas.) It's snowed twice in my lifetime in south Texas. The panhandle and DFW area get more of a winter than any place else in Texas.

Don't expect any kind of wintry weather like you get in PA, Indiana, Michigan, or Kenctucky. And don't ever expect to have to shovel your car out of two feet of snow.

:sobs: God, why do I have to go back to that?

Hey, the rainy season for Houst and much of south Lousisiana is actually during the winter months.

We have to develop our construction projects especially paving and digging projects to avoid winter as much as possible for this. It's not always avoidable.

^^^

Exactly. I've been in 40 degree weather up north that is quite pleasant to the 40 degree weather in Houston because of the Humidity. It just cuts to the bone to make you feel so cold.

because of the Humidity. It just cuts to the bone to make you feel so cold.
I remember back in the late 70s when all the snowbirds came to Houston, and many of them complained about (among other things) how cold it was here. There was one girl in particular who I worked with who came from Pittsburgh. She would delicate flower about the cold when it wasn

i have a friend in boston who's hair would regularly freeze in the morning as he made his way to work from the bus to the T. i don't see that happening here.

dry or humid, the "winter" here is so short it doesn't really matter. a few days near freezing every few weeks if that. just like the summers up there, it can get really hot and humid in the NE, it's just sporadic, unlike our summers which are so long.

and the humidity is generally pretty low here in the winter, anytime we get a front, which is when it gets cold, all the moisture is pushed out.

skwatra is right. Cold fronts come from the north, blowing drier air in. The humidity actually keeps the temperature up a little, just like it keeps our summer temps only in the 90s.

On a related note, are Arizona and Nevada residents saying "but it's a dry heat", right now?

On a related note, are Arizona and Nevada residents saying "but it's a dry heat", right now?

Dry heat that has caused 18 deaths in their recent heat wave?

June to Sept. heat and humidity is not so pleasent. You get use to it or you adjust your day/Nov. to May the weather is perfect except when it does get down to the 30's a few times it does feel very cold, cuts right through you.

That, and the fact that we condition ourselves to handle the heat, so that anything under 60 feels like a friggin' blue norther.  B)

exactly, we lived in the NE for 8 years and didn't mind a bit. after being down here, i just ask the question, why deal with it? now i only go north in the non-winter months.

i know girls down here that put on their scarves and gloves when it gets below 50, mostly because its a fashion statement and they never get to wear them down here. so if it gets a little colder they claim they're freezing.

exactly, we lived in the NE for 8 years and didn't mind a bit. after being down here, i just ask the question, why deal with it? now i only go north in the non-winter months.

i know girls down here that put on their scarves and gloves when it gets below 50, mostly because its a fashion statement and they never get to wear them down here. so if it gets a little colder they claim they're freezing.

I lived in Boston for 5 years, and I can remember times when walking from the T to work (5 blocks) and having tears from the wind freeze to my cheek. And it didn't matter how many layers of clothes you had on, the wind still cut right through you. I don't care what anyone says about the heat here; I'd rather deal with it any day when compared with cold like that.

I just moved back to Houston from Nevada it was 118 in the shade last week it hard to breath in that dry heat . We got here in June and we love this mild weather plus you dont have to blow out dust buggers 20 times a day. Also when I was in the NAVY outside of the windy city it was like living in a slurppie in the spring and fall with added attraction of huge mosquitos in the summer . Vegas has had some pretty mild summers last couple of years and the northern transplants should be on the verge of death just about now , they are the ones who came up with the [ its a dry heat logo ] balderdash .

Anything below 70 is too cold for me.

Anything much above 70 starts getting too warm for me.

Give me an ice cold northern January day anytime. I can always put on a heavy coat, scarf, and gloves and be just fine. On a July or August afternoon in Houston I could sit outside naked and still be miserable.

And I agree the "dry heat" thing is bullshit. First off, the whole heat index thing, which factors in humidity and gives you a "feels like" temperature is proof of that. If an afternoon here mid-summer has an actual temperature of 97 and a heat index of 105, it feels about the same as one of those "dry heat" afternoons in Las Vegas where there's no humidity and the actual air temperature is 105. To me hot is hot. Some of the worst heat I've ever experienced in my life was in Phoenix and Las Vegas in the summer. And at least here it's often not too uncomfortable to go out and do stuff after about 7:30/8:00 PM. I've been in Vegas when it was still over 100 degrees at 11:30 PM. The only real difference is in dry heat the sweat evaporates faster. But you still sweat.

This past week in South Carolina the heat was awful. So glad I've got a nice relaxing weekend in San Diego with highs in the upper 70s/low 80s to look forward to. Just five more hours and I'll be there. :D

Guest danax
Anything below 70 is too cold for me.

I'm with ya, Kim. I think we're outnumbered here though. I love the humidity and the afternoon rains. It's thundering right now outside, the wind is kicking up and and I think I hear the initial drops slamming onto the concrete path to my door.

Time to go sit on the porch with a cool beverage. Anyone remember the Derek and the Dominoes tune, "Let it Rain"?