Grand Parkway Segment D

You should post this to Sugar Land, Richmond, Rosenberg as this is in Richmond. Also, there are already traffic signals planned well in advance for when the overpass gets opened (it's already complete). These lights will activate when the overpass goes live.

• 6 months later...

This was posted in The Bond Buyer, but subscription is required to access the rest of the article. Does anybody have any additional information about this, possibly from another source? Thanks.

Nearly $1B Coming for Houston's Grand Parkway

"Nearly $1 billion of notes and bonds to be priced and placed soon will keep the Grand Parkway toll loop growing around the Houston metro area."

Edited by nolaboy

Its in the middle of nowhere now but we're looking forward to it filling in quickly. I drive this segment both ways at least twice a week and plan to continue using it because its so convenient. It cuts down a 40 minute drive I'm half...no complaints from me!

Its in the middle of nowhere now but we're looking forward to it filling in quickly. I drive this segment both ways at least twice a week and plan to continue using it because its so convenient. It cuts down a 40 minute drive I'm half...no complaints from me!

Exactly why developers lobbied so hard for this to be built, they are going to make a lot of money developing this land.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like parts of Segment D will begin opening up very soon according to FBCTRA. The first part between Southwest Fwy and FM 1464 was scheduled for today, but I haven't heard anything yet.

US 59 to US 90A/FM 1464 - Thursday, February 27, 2014

US 90A/FM 1464 to Harlem Road - Mid-March 2014

Harlem Road to West Bellfort - Mid-April 2014

West Bellfort to Westpark Toll Road/FM 1093 - Late April 2014

I wonder if this includes the overpass at (crossing over) the West Park Tollway. Always a bottleneck. 

The Westpark overpass will be part of "West Bellfort to Westpark Toll Road/FM 1093 - Late April 2014". They are still working on the side barriers for the overpass, as well as the pavement between the ramp and the existing freeway on either side of the new overpass.

Just about every exit south of Westpark Twy is labeled "last free exit" because there is typically only one exit between each tolled overpass. I initially thought this was a bit overkill but its consistent with the Beltway (with the exception that there are multiple exits between each toll booth on the Beltway).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe that you are asking why Fry Rd isn't the "last free exit" while traveling SB from I-10. It actually is and I expect it to be signed as such soon.

As to why Belaire is also labeled as such is because all exits and entrances are untolled and every overpass (or every other overpass for those that are in close proximity to each other) from 1093 to 59 have a toll booth either at the beginning or end of the overpass. And for the most part there is only one (untolled) exit between toll booths, making each exit as "Last free exit" before you have to pay toll again.

So going SB after paying at the 1093 overpass, if you don't exit to Bellaire for "free" then you won't be able to exit again until after you pay at the Bellaire overpass. So by definition the Bellaire exit is the "Last free exit".

As i said earlier, it seems goofy to label just about every exit in this stretch as "Last free Exit" but it's consistent with the Beltway with the exception that the Beltway is tolled every 4 or so exits, with untolled exit ramps downstream of toll plazas and untolled entrance ramps upstream of toll plazas. The last free exits come after going through a major free interchange (built with federal $ -- such as Southwest freeway). So similar to Grand Pkwy, if you don't take the free exit you will have to pay toll at either the next exit ramp or at a main lane toll booth/plaza.

Edited by nolaboy