Pasadena, Texas

GEM

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up.....this is now the Pasadena ISD HQ.

I don't remember the mall but I can definitely confirm that it indeed did exist. According to a 1983 topographic map of Pasadena, the PISD Admin building is labeled as Strawberry Mall Shopping Center. It is located at Strawberry and Cherry Brook Lane and must have been built sometime in the late 60's/early 70's.

At some point the Pasadena store was remodeled to look like the Almeda and Northwest Malls. I can't remember ever seeing the Pasadena Foley's with that sculpted entrance awning (It was redone late 60's or early 70's, I'm guessing).It reminds me of the rippled Sage covered walkway, at SE location - I45S @ Winkler.

That's a nice collection of Foley's store designs.

• 1 year later...

Yay, my hometown!  Strawberry Mall was indeed a thing, though it was never exceptionally large.  I know that it was certainly not doing much in the way of business by the early 1980's when I was first old enough to notice it.  That section of town was on the long downward slide after being settled post-WW2 by the 80's.

The picture that DJRage posted was almost certainly the Pasadena Foley's, which pre-existed the mall by a great many years and was heavily refurbished after Hurricane Alicia.

The mall that eventually was built on that great expanse of field that grew out of the Pasadena Foley's, on Southmore...I never heard of it ever being called Strawberry Mall... was that a nickname? Pasadena Town Square was what I heard.

• The title was changed to Pasadena, Texas

Archived