COH Bike sharing program expanding

Sure, but given the low cost of entry ($5), one can ride a bike in Houston for 2 hours for less than the cost of 30 minutes in San Antonio.

Of course, there are actual people and dogs in Houston, so there's that.

I don't really have a problem with dogs and people it just makes it difficult to navigate sometimes. And unleashed dogs in public areas is highly inconsiderate. That being said I still don't think buffalo bayou and riverwalk are in the same category. The restoration done by the army core of engineers is pretty remarkable there. Calling it a ditch is petty.

I have never EVER seen an unleashed dog on the bike trails. The only place I have seen them is at the dog park, away from the trails. It appears that in your efforts to badmouth Houston you are making statements that are untrue. Far from being petty, I find that dishonest.

I have never EVER seen an unleashed dog on the bike trails. The only place I have seen them is at the dog park, away from the trails. It appears that in your efforts to badmouth Houston you are making statements that are untrue. Far from being petty, I find that dishonest.

I have. I'm not bad mouthing houston I'm honest I take the good with the bad. You on the other hand can not accept a single word that criticizes the city at all. Let's be impartial, constructive criticism leads to improvement.

I fail to see anything constructive when criticizing a construction zone. Apparently, you are unaware that there is currently a $58 million renovation going on at the Bayou. You praised San Antonio's construction, yet never even mentioned Houston's. Is it any wonder that people think you are trolling when you have two different standards for Houston and everywhere else? 

While it looks to you that I cannot tolerate criticism of Houston, keep in mind that you only see me correcting your intentional misstatements about the city. That makes it look like I cannot take the criticism, when in reality, it is your misleading statements that I criticize. Huge difference. There is nothing at all honest about your critiques.

I fail to see anything constructive when criticizing a construction zone. Apparently, you are unaware that there is currently a $58 million renovation going on at the Bayou. You praised San Antonio's construction, yet never even mentioned Houston's. Is it any wonder that people think you are trolling when you have two different standards for Houston and everywhere else?

While it looks to you that I cannot tolerate criticism of Houston, keep in mind that you only see me correcting your intentional misstatements about the city. That makes it look like I cannot take the criticism, when in reality, it is your misleading statements that I criticize. Huge difference. There is nothing at all honest about your critiques.

I look forward to the results of the renovation. That being said I don't think it's in the same league as a total restoration by the army core of engineers, but still, improvement is a positive step. The interstate bikeways sound promising also.

on another note - every time I drive the bike racks on the weekend - next to Underbelly / Midtown next to Post and DT's - I am consistently pleasantly surprised how they are never full and I have seen multiple times empty!!

Bringing it back to the original TOPIC - which may have been done before I'm not sure and don't feel like checking.

This program seems to be a hit!

The Corp of Engineers are the ones that ruined the bayous in Houston. We don't need their help. Seriously, before you criticize, you should see what is being done. You sound like you have no idea what is going on at the bayou, which is why I corrected your "honesty".

Here, I even did the hard work for you...

http://www.buffalobayou.org/

And, here's the $58 million current project...

http://buffalobayoupark.org/home/

Edited by RedScare

I was mentioning this to a visiting friend.  He moved away years ago and we talked about how you can actually SEE the Bayou and can now fully appreciate the shore as it stands.  It will be interesting to watch on a good rain when it floods.

BOT: I have seen many people use the bikes.  A couple of friends actually ride them to the Dynamo games;  They park on the other side of downtown and park them by the station at Lucky's as there is usually a couple of empty spots.

I plan on using them in a couple of weeks when I go to some shooting downtown at night.

Anyone knows if they plan on taking them to the Med center, Reliant or other neighborhoods?

• Like 1

on another note - every time I drive the bike racks on the weekend - next to Underbelly / Midtown next to Post and DT's - I am consistently pleasantly surprised how they are never full and I have seen multiple times empty!!

Bringing it back to the original TOPIC - which may have been done before I'm not sure and don't feel like checking.

This program seems to be a hit!

I think it's a hit also---I have seen the lot at Underbelly empty a few times-- Another bike station was being sought between Montrose and Elgin.  Unfortunately when one of the Law offices offered, it was determined his lot was too small. Then the owner of the lot at  Stanford and Westheimer was approached but wasn't interested. Now I'm wondering about that Hollywood convenience  Store  lot---I guess there will be something new there. I wonder if they might agree to set aside a small portion for a new rack.

Funny, but I've always found the Buffalo Bayou west of downtown heading out towards Memorial Park to be one of the city's hidden gems. I love to walk and bike the trail and love to canoe that stretch even more. The changes taking place are only going to make it better.

I don't really have a problem with dogs and people it just makes it difficult to navigate sometimes. And unleashed dogs in public areas is highly inconsiderate. That being said I still don't think buffalo bayou and riverwalk are in the same category. The restoration done by the army core of engineers is pretty remarkable there. Calling it a ditch is petty.

The riverwalk is a ditch. It's dirty, it smells, and unless they've done some major changes in the way they monitor it at night, it's not a place I want to go after dark.

If you want to compare their ditch to our bayou, I'm all about it, but you're right, they aren't in the same category, one is a relic of a 1920s uncovered ditch project, the other is a bayou that is mostly park land.

can we talk about bicycles again?

I live two blocks north of Underbelly, and I can say that particular B-Cycle station is as popular as can be. People rent the bikes at all hours of the night there. It's the weirdest thing to see folks cruising around Montrose at 1am on bikes (WITHOUT drug deals), but it's becoming a very frequent occurrence. And now that it's humid and stifling during the day, I imagine the B-Cycle will increase in popularity.

Most have figured out that you can park at Underbelly or Blacksmith, eat lunch, and then bike over to Buffalo Exchange et all for some shopping. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

On other forums, this is known as a troll post. On this forum, however, the moderators feel compelled to protect trolls like this.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so perhaps you are sincere in your belief that Buffalo Bayou...which is in the middle of renovations...is ugly. However, you claim that San Antonio's ditch is beautiful even though it is under construction. Whether troll or sincere, we do not miss you on Buffalo's new bike trails. I ride them a few times per week, and have never found them to be too crowded.

I do wonder why an urban fan would so offended that the Buffalo Bayou trail is "full of people and dogs also".

Doesn't look like a troll to me.  Looks like someone expressing an opinion, as you've expressed yours about both the quality of the San Antonio River and the HAIF moderation team.  

Please stick to the substance of the topic, and not the participants in the thread.  If you feel unable to remain on topic in this or any other thread I am happy to provide you with a list of other web sites that may be more your speed.  Further, it should be noted that "we do not miss you on Buffalo's new bike trails" may be a bit overstated, as you do not personally represent Houston, only yourself.

If you have concerns about the quality of the moderation of this web site, please e-mail me directly at editor@HoustonArchitecture.com, or send me a PM.  

Perhaps if it is a troll (and it very well may be, as I have not read this entire thread), then I guess he won since he suckered you into his trap.  

post-1-0-27253500-1369150651_thumb.jpg

The riverwalk is a ditch. It's dirty, it smells, and unless they've done some major changes in the way they monitor it at night, it's not a place I want to go after dark.

If you want to compare their ditch to our bayou, I'm all about it, but you're right, they aren't in the same category, one is a relic of a 1920s uncovered ditch project, the other is a bayou that is mostly park land.

can we talk about bicycles again?

The new mission reach restored portion is beautiful. I suggest you check it out before making such judgements. The riverwalk is not just the small portion it used to be. It's nearly 12 miles now, and after August 31 will be almost totally done except the portion around Brackenridge Park.

Checkouts end at 11 PM, but bikes can be checked in any time. Wish they'd get rid of that limitation.

And after that is solved maybe they could tackle this---- There aren't any instructions at the stations on what to do if each bike  slot is full and you want to return your bike.

And after that is solved maybe they could tackle this---- There aren't any instructions at the stations on what to do if each bike  slot is full and you want to return your bike.

The b-cycle website says the kiosks give real time information for other locations so you can find one with an opening. Is that not the case in real life?

Sure there is, just press on the terminal, choose the "Return Bike" option and it will tell you all slots are full and give you a bonus 15 minutes for free to get to the next closest station.

They monitor the bike levels and shuffle bikes around when a station has too many or not enough.

Edited by kylejack

The app is amazingly helpful.  a little prior research is a great thing.  If a rack is full, simply go to the next nearest one and return it there.   Of course,

If you have the app, you can save yourself one trip and go straight to an empty one.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday I drove around taking construction photos mainly in midtown and Montrose. A couple of observations

One, people all over we're riding those red bikes. I was surprised. Great to see.

Two, there were a lot of people out walking. I was kind of shocked. Hopefully those young people will maintain that same mindset as they age.

I suspect that the number of stations will expand to the West, south along the medical centers and holcomb, and possibly to the north.   But what I can't see if they're going to expand it to the east.   The only place I can see them putting them down is up and down along the East line.

I've had good experiences with the B-cycle (even got the promo 1 yr rate for $40 bucks) but the bikes themselves are pretty clunky and hard to steer. I'm not complaining, my sister in NYC told me the Citibike bikeshare they have there has bike terminals that go dead and wont let you check in or out a bike. Apparently they're having software issues.

One near Montrose and W Dallas or Grey would be good and maybe a little towards RO shopping center.  I think having one on both ends of Allen Parkway would be good since people obviously ride bikes around there all the time already.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...