Underrated Buildings in Houston

Rice's "science triplets" (Geology, Biology, and Space Science, now unfortunately with their arcades glassed in.) and original Student Center/Chapel building

Hermann Professional Building

Petroleum/Great Southwest Life Building

and I actually like Heritage Plaza in all it's postmodern crazy.

At one time the lower roof of the Pepsi-Cola building extended (cantilevered) out into the middle of arch with an iliptical whole in it for the upright to pass through. I guess time and circumstance got the better of it, but at least the arch remains.

At one time the lower roof of the Pepsi-Cola building extended (cantilevered) out into the middle of arch with an iliptical whole in it for the upright to pass through. I guess time and circumstance got the better of it, but at least the arch remains.

Yes! I've seen a picture of it (not mine) and I *will* (try to) find it!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, the building on Austin street strikes me as a modest postwar gem. Perhaps it never ever tended to catch peoples' attention, but it is very approachable and has a nice human scale. Also, it has a nice combo of exterior brick and stone. On the down side, the street side of course had small windows placed up high, like so many doctors' offices from the 50s and 60s.

Irving R. Klein and Associates was an architectural firm. I need to go over and get a pic of the building at Travis and Rosedale where ttweak has their offices. I think that Phillip Willard developed it and had his firm there. High set windows allow both privacy and natural light while the street-side wall helps cut noise.

Edit: I'll bet there still are a few of these architect-designed small commercial buildings on the periphery of downtown. It certainly looks like a familiar type.

Archived