Texas A&M University's Kyle Field Developments

Nate99

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WHOA! Coming along. Boy, they sure have a long ways to go tho in just a 4 months. It's already April and this has to be done in August? Yikes. Talk about crunch time. 

Can somebody capture a picture of the north end zone? It appears as though they've already finished the brick facade there...

WHOA! Coming along. Boy, they sure have a long ways to go tho in just a 4 months. It's already April and this has to be done in August? Yikes. Talk about crunch time. 

Can somebody capture a picture of the north end zone? It appears as though they've already finished the brick facade there...

Remember that we don't play our first game at Kyle Field until Sept. 12th. Our very first game is at NRG against Arizona St. for the Kickoff Classic.

• 2 weeks later...

I underestimated the difference that the North Zone re-do would make. It looks much larger and in comparison to the old stucco treatment looks so much nicer. I had heard that we cheaped out on the finishing of the Zone, but it wasn't that apparent until I see the alternative installed.

Thanks Scotch!

Edited by Nate99

I seem to remember that some of it was placed OVER the stucco.

It was. You can see some of the center column behind the framework that will hold the glass façade in Scotch's pic. Hopefully it will not be visible when they are all done.

Edited by Nate99

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At the outset of the project, I didn’t really appreciate how much of a difference the re-do of the North Zone would make.  It looked like very cheap stucco blah before.  

In the years immediately prior to the demolition of the original horseshoe and Deware, that “plaza” (for lack of a better descriptor) had some nice trees, but otherwise looked like neglected hell. It’s a proper front porch for the University now.

The glass on the north end zone has sort of an office building look that is really unfortunate. And the seams in the brick are visible from at least a quarter mile away.

I do like the exterior they chose for the east and west decks, and the way they disguised the seams in some places.

The glass on the north end zone has sort of an office building look that is really unfortunate. And the seams in the brick are visible from at least a quarter mile away.

I do like the exterior they chose for the east and west decks, and the way they disguised the seams in some places.

The glass doesn't do much for me one way or the other, never really caught my eye in the design at all.  The seams are a huge project scope level compromise, I think, but they don't offend me greatly, though I can see why others find them unsightly.

I was trying unsuccessfully to find an old pic of the Zone exterior, and it looks like it had the design and build quality of a 30 year old Arby's in a bad part of town.  This, while imperfect looks good, cohesive and presents well. I'm not really one to gush over the particulars of the design, as it's only going to do so much for me, but the improvement is better than I would have imagined just looking at renderings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I walked around campus a bit over the weekend for the first time in a couple of years when I was in town for a wedding.  To say the structure is imposing is an understatement. Standing on the North end, it feels like the whole was moved closer toward the MSC and it occupies all the space that formerly included G. Rollie.  The whole footprint of the structure feels ~50% larger and the height is greater giving an immense perception change.

I’ll probably not make a game this year, but can’t wait to be there for one. It could be very, very loud.

• The title was changed to Texas A&M University's Kyle Field Developments