Ideas For The New Inner City Houston!

Personally, I'd like to see some more development and newer construction in areas such as 2nd ward/east side and the north side.

It's dense enough that some of the main streets that you could have some affordable housing with some midrises with ground level retail.

The Santa Monica shot is really nice. I liked it there, the beach was nearby, and the downtown was walkable. I think that would be a great design for Kirby after reconstruction. Unfortunately, i don't think it would fly on Westheimer. Have you ever tried to cross that street? Crosswalks are far and few between. It's like running across the freeway.

Maybe instead of street level, they could elevate the rail, I don't see why they would build a ground level line agian, and the see it's not working along main with cars in the mix. CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!!!

Yes, kinda like the "cheep cheep cheep" I hear from you every time you start a thread like this. ;)

elevated rail would be nice,  but I only see it happening where it is aboslutely necessary.

I see rail on the street as conducive to improving the street life that Houston is currently lacking. Better driver training and enforcement will go along way towards reduce accidents, as well as reducing congestion and lowering insurance rates.

The point is, I'd like to see nice and dense development, but, I don't want to have an exact friggin copy of something in another city. This is Houston- we should make up our own urban style.

Take Atlantic Station, for instance. Sure, some elements are nice, but some parts of it are downright generic, bland, and something you'd commonly see around here already.

Humidity is merely a factor roughly four or five months out of the year. On a mid-October afternoon at 75 - 80 degrees, no one really cares that much about 50% humidity. It feels fine to most folks.

June, July, August and early September are certainly different stories.

I kinda think humidity is just an excuse people use to explain the lack of street life in Houston. Any day of the week, any (non-rainy) weather, you can go to certain places, like memorial and hermann park, and people will be outside. The real reason why no one is out is because there's not enough worthwhile to keep them out. There are places a lot hotter and as humid as Houston. People are amazingly adaptable to all sorts of climates. That's we live on six of seven continents.

There's already a Target on San Felipe a block away from Westheimer about three away from the Galleria. But I know what you mean, something more pedestrian friendly.

Why not an elevated rail? Reduces chances of accidents. Unclogs streets by maintaining the same street space(no lanes taken away). As for pedestrian traffic there will be plenty as people get on and off to get where they're going.

Humidity really isn't a factor. What it is is that people drive everywhere, businesses make it even easier by setting up at a strip mall or having a huge lot.

I would like to see the development that occurred on Main Street in Downtown continue throughout the entire area.

Also, taller and taller buildings should be built around Downtown to give the whole area a larger skyline.

I could see Greenway Plaza upgraded to look like this cool neighborhood called Westwood Village in LA.

Houston does not to be so urban where you have to completely walk everywhere, I think it should kind of take lessons after LA which does a great job of mixing ccar drivers with padestrians.

I present you the village, Westwood Village that is.