Gym's Downtown?

What about Larry North in Houston Center?

I was a member in Dallas, and was very happy with them.

I did visit - very nice. My objective is to find something on my side of downtown...that doesn't require a long walk - i was hoping that there were more facilities in the neighboring bldgs...i.e. chase tower, bofa, shell, wells fargo etc.

I think its funny that you want to find a gym, but you don't want to have to walk too far.

I was waiting for someone to drop that comment...unavoidable sarcasm on this board at times. When you are dressed in professional attire in Houston, one would see logic in avoiding long walks, espeically in the summer heat. Further, the idea is to find as much efficiency as possible. Thanks for your observation though :)

I walk from 1100 Louisana to 2 Houston Center every day.

Takes me about 12 mintues each way.

I don't think it's as far as it seems, but may be if you are wearing a suit.

I suspect that my options are really going to revolve around the Met, Larry Fitness and the Houstonian Lite. The HL gives me the luxury of a quick 1 block walk to the gym, thus making my lunch hour easier to accomdate with less time spent in 'commute'...

I suppose something's going to have to give! Trying to squeeze as much as I possibly can in a short period of time...sometimes you just can't do it :)

I never understood you "lunch workout" guys.  Early AM or afternoon is my zone. 

I love lunchtime workouts because it is easier for me to keep to my routine (only have a certain amount of time to get in, get it done, and get out). Plus, it is too easy to just leave the office after work and go home, saying I'm "too tired" to workout.

Then again, the Met is only 2 buildings away, so it's a no-brainer to get there.

I suppose that to help you in your quest, one would have to understand the value of working out at lunchtime...something I have never understood.

My workouts consist of parking in a garage and walking down the stairs. I then walk 4 blocks to my office. I walk another 4 blocks to the courthouse, 8 blocks if it is federal. I walk to lunch and usually, to the bank at Houston Center 6 blocks away. I walk back 4 blocks to the garage and go home. On a good day, this adds up to 2 miles and several flights of stairs.

Combined with mowing my own yard, walking the dog and riding my bike on weekends, I have kept in good shape. It saves me $150 a month ($100 yard, $50 fitness), and I enjoy looking at the sights of downtown versus looking at a mirror in a gym.

BTW, I wear a suit, and it is a fairly rare day that the heat and humidity is so oppressive as to cause me to drench in sweat. I walk on the shady side of the street. On those days when it is too hot, a quick trip to the restroom to towel off works.

I know some get a charge out of that go-go fill every minute with something productive feeling. I don't so this works well for me.

I never understood you "lunch workout" guys.  Early AM or afternoon is my zone. 

Reminds me of the Seinfeld when Geroge was hot.

"I'd be sweatin all day".

FYI - The Met has an awesome chopped salad.  Yum!

I've had that salad and it is GOOD! I do like the early AM workouts as well - but two days a week, i tend to move it to lunchtime. But I feel the best when i workout first thing in the morn.

Convenience is a must for me - as it helps the motivational factor as well! I'm stopping by Larry Fitness today...i'm leaning towards the Met/Center clubs...we'll see!

I'm withi Travelguy - lunch workouts tend to have more structure for me because of the rigid timeline.

I am surprised that there are no real values other than the Y downtown...everything else is 'premium' from what i can tell. I'll have to see what LF has to offer today...and will come up with a solution.

This is for both me and my wife...at the Y we end up dropping $75 monthly after membership fees and locker fees...may have to stick with that. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks for all the input.

i think my daily "workout" about matches up with redscare's...

between walking a hell of a lot downtown (free time), walking a looong way from parking to office, and doing the home chores, i don't have time (well, won't make time) for a routine indoor gym workout.

it also help's that i have free access to decent facilities where i work (raquetball, basketball, tennis, etc.).

plus, i like to eat lunch during lunch...heh

• 1 month later...

Midtown resident did you end up finding something you liked in DT? I am also looking around now and seeing what is out there. saw Larry North today, liked it, and probably am leaning towards that. Houstonian Lite was amazing and so convenient to my building, but the monthly fee and initiation was ridiculous. Currently I switched my YMCA from Post oak to Downtown, but the downtown Y just doesn't do it for me. To me, it needs a face lift and cash infusion. How much is the Met?

How much is the Met?

Like many gyms, the pricing depends on whether or not a corporate rate is available to you. All I know is what I pay with the discount. I imagine that the regular rate is just over $100/mo plus personal locker fee. Still, the classes and quality/selection of equipment is top notch. It gets crowded after work in the early part of the week, but never *that* crowded, and people are generally respectful of working in. The only thing I don't like is the music selection--classic rock--so I keep the iPod turned up to drown that crap out, LOL.