113 Gray St.

DrLan34

props to Nole for first posting this, but after talking to the developer, i think this deserves it's own thread

On 2/20/2012 at 11:11 AM, Nole23 said:

There's a sign up on the empty lot on West Gray across from Post Midtown Square, next to Cafe Layal mentioning a shopping center coming soon, with a rendering on the front. Does anyone have anymore info on this? I'll try to take a pic when I get some time.

http://maps.google.c...+Texas&t=h&z=20

All the parking will be in the back (42 spaces), the development will have the same building line as Post Midtown, and the 2 story section features a patio on top with a view of the skyline.

Nice.

• Like 2

props to Nole for first posting this, but after talking to the developer, i think this deserves it's own thread

All the parking will be in the back (42 spaces), the development will have the same building line as Post Midtown, and the 2 story section features a patio on top with a view of the skyline.

Nice.

Sounds great! Finally, someone has figured out a better way to build retail in midtown??

Edited by Houston19514

Awesome! I'm glad the parking will be in the back. My apartment faces Cafe Layal with this development to the left so I'll have to take some pics as it is being built. It was only a matter of time until this lot got developed, especially with Post expanding down Gray.

Did they mention when construction might start?

Edited by Nole23

• 1 month later...

Good seeing the fence go up. Little by little inching down West Gray with development, I like it. Only a few occupied blocks will need some redevelopment, chiefly what lies between this plot and Hefleys/Car wash.

I am glad to see this go up. There is a old house next to plot of land I believe. It is known for having the Eric Dick for City Council signs. I am wondering if it will come down anytime soon. This part of lower West Gray is filling in nicely. I christen it LoWeGray.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see this go up. There is a old house next to plot of land I believe. It is known for having the Eric Dick for City Council signs. I am wondering if it will come down anytime soon. This part of lower West Gray is filling in nicely. I christen it LoWeGray.

Eventually it will but unfortunately, it's ruined Post's chances at having the corner. It's an old 80-something year old lady who's lived in it forever and goes to the church across the street (which is also quickly becoming out of place) so she wouldn't sell. Eventually, her family/next of kin who gets the house will sell and it'll end up being something. Just unfortunate that it won't be consistent with what Post will have for a continuous 3-block stretch (except for that little lot).

Unfortunate? I beg to differ.

Don't get me wrong- I like what Post is doing, but if a little old lady doesn't want to sell, more power to her.

Besides, I like that house. It could make a great little restaurant or bar.

Certainly more power to her, I'm not saying she isn't entitled to make that whatever decision she pleases with the land she owns. I think it's unfortunate from the standpoint of breaking up Post's street front from Bagy westward. I like what Post has done and I think it's been pretty successful. I don't think this particular structure will be a Komodo type bar in the future, but we'll see. I think turning old houses into restaurants or bars on the secondary streets is great, but I prefer the new development along primary streets like West Gray.

Oddly enough, there's actually two lots there, her lot and the little strip of land between her lot and Valentine St. I believe Post already owns the little corner strip (the construction crew has been parking there). Perhaps Post can snap up her lot at some point in the future and integrate it into the overall development.

That lady is pretty cool for passing up likely way more $$$ than her lot is worth, but with the area blowing up, maybe her kids will really cash in - down the road.

I doubt her kids will cash in, that lot's value drops like a rock now that it's bordered on 3 sides by apartments complex. Whoever her next of kin is that gets the house will sell I'm sure, but it's going to be for a lot less money than whatever Post offered prior to construction.

• The title was changed to Retail - Next To Cafe Layal
  • The title was changed to 113 Gray St.