Nw Commute

My brother lives very near HP. Whenever he comes to visit me in the Heights, or go to a baseball game downtown, he takes 249 all the way to I-45. However, he seldom, if ever, drives during rush hour. I-10/610/290/Beltway 8 seems like a shorter distance, if you stay on the highways, but I know 290 is far worse than I-45.

You will probably have to just test it out yourself. My secretary says the Park & Ride from 290 is nice. Is there one for 249?

If you work from 6a-4p, then you need to hit the road by 5am. The traffic is almost non-existant at about that time.

I agree with red scare, with his route selections and when I lived off of Windfern@BW8, I took the BW to 290 by 6am and was in the Gallera by 6:30! If I left 5 minutes later, then I'd be lucky to be in by 7. :(

what intersection DT are you going to? P&R might be a better option for you, otherwise, you're going to spend approx $150-200 a month on tolls and fuel (like I did).

Ricco

for the morning, you should have no problems that early with traffic. the fastest route (depending on exactly where you live) will most likely be 290 to 10.

the afternoon could be bad, leaving at 3:45 would probably help a lot. when i leave downtown at 4:30, i can get to 290 and beltway 8 by 5, but i take the HOV on 290 and fly by the horrible traffic.

you're just going to have to try a few routes and see what works for you. if your timings are set and you can find the right one, vanpools are really great.

vanpool

metro rideshare

and you can check traffic trends and historical data for rush hour here:

transtar

Also, if you have an issue about flexibility about suddenly having to leave work in the middle of a day on an emergency, Metro will provide you with help transportation out to the P&R either in the form of a voucher for a cab, or a rental car. (the details are on the metro website).

Also, depending on who you work for, they will probably help pay for your transit for the buses. It's far cheaper for them to help pay for your parking. :P

Ricco

Having spent five years at HP/Compaq, I don't think I'd buy a house TOO close to work.

Nobody last there very long nowdays. Good luck to your wife, but the commute stinks.

I did the reverse commute up 45 to 249 to HP. The new connector to BW8 should help somewhat, but be prepared to sit and wait.

My brother in law works in Westchase and lives in Champions. He said it takes as much time to get to the Beltway as it does from the Beltway to Westchase.

Guest danax
If you need your vehicle, you can pick up riders at the park & rides so that you can use the HOV.  I believe they call it 'body snatching'.

In LA in the 80s there were inflatable dolls being sold at flea markets, "Johnny Commuter", had your pick of business man, female, etc.

In LA in the 80s there were inflatable dolls being sold at flea markets, "Johnny Commuter", had your pick of business man, female, etc.

a few years back i remember seeing in the news, a lady who had a blow-up doll to ride in the HOV here in houston. she got into an accident and got a ticket for the accident and for illegally using the HOV. that must have been embarassing...

skwatra sez:

interesting, i never thought about that. i guess safety isn't that big of an issue if you're picking up commuters at a park & ride huh?

Actually, I have a sign in the back that says, "Free ride to Downtown".

I usually get 2 or 3 people. :D

and it's not really that much of a safety issue.

Ricco

a few years back i remember seeing in the news, a lady who had a blow-up doll to ride in the HOV here in houston. she got into an accident and got a ticket for the accident and for illegally using the HOV. that must have been embarassing...

My wife and use the 290 HOV and saw a guy busted with a mannequin in his pickup. The Metro police had it proudly displayed propped up on the toolbox of the guy's pickup while they wrote his ticket as the cars filed by at slow speeds in the Northwest transit center.

Pretty funny.

glad see it isn't that bad for you. I'm also happy that you have business hours off from the typical. If more businesses do this, it will help moderate traffic.

I guess after a while you will both decide where to buy a house.